Google Pixel 3 sleep/ wake up problems

sstutler

May 8, 2011
Visit site
My mother has a Google Pixel 3. Well, she is on her 3rd Pixel 3 THIS YEAR and they all do the same thing. This last one I was in for a visit and personally verified these issues.

When it's "sleeping" pressing the side button does not "wake" the phone. You end up holding long press and phones goes thru a power up cycle (so it goes off instead of sleeping much more often than not). Second, receiving a call if sleeping it will ring but face remains blacked out and you can't answer (tap screen, pick up and twist/change the plain orientation, etc), swipe from any angle....none allow you answer. After the call goes to v/m the screen wakes with the missed call screen. Lastly, while on a call the screen goes black when holding to your ear (as it SHOULD) but when you pull it away it doesn't wake back up (and I'm exaggerating the move and changing the angle of orientation by more than 90 degrees). Again she is on her 3rd pixel 3 this 2019! They will send another but she has no faith in the phone at all.

sstutler

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, no. It's not an app issue. My Mom is older and only has 3 apps loaded total. This last time while I was in town, the tech people from Verizon did factory reset and afterwards, these issue remains. Now those lovely people at Verizon are only going to replace with this same model which obviously has issues Google has not admitted to (tech contacted Google to see if this was a known issue like this to which Google said no) but won't allow a replacement of a comparable model.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately, no. It's not an app issue. My Mom is older and only has 3 apps loaded total. This last time while I was in town, the tech people from Verizon did factory reset and afterwards, these issue remains. Now those lovely people at Verizon are only going to replace with this same model which obviously has issues Google has not admitted to (tech contacted Google to see if this was a known issue like this to which Google said no) but won't allow a replacement of a comparable model.

Wow sorry you going through this trouble especially with the replacement phones , will they refund you the money since this is same problem on the replacement devices?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's still worth testing it in Safe Mode. You never know if one of those 3 apps might still be causing an issue.

Bill Davis Words

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
This problem started when I upgraded to Android 10. Here's what worked for me. Just turn off the "lift to check phone" feature. Settings, System, Gestures, Lift to check phone, OFF.

It's on by default and it causing your phone to try to wake up (screen lights up waiting for password/fingerprint input) when you pick up the phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I liked lift to wake on Android 9, it was very handy, but 10 ruined it and I had to shut it off. Definitely shut it off if you're running 10...... it's completely useless and problematic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois