Google sync experiencing problems...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to get my contacts to sync lately, which is also preventing voice dialing from working on new contacts (needed for my job as a trucker, and my V20 has no native voice dial function). It's the error saying it's experiencing problems and will be back shortly.

I have backed up my contacts already while I deal with this. So far I've tried the Contact Sync Fix app with no success. I then went nuclear and completely removed and re-added my Google account. Now the contacts option in my Google account settings is completely missing. I did notice a new one called "People Details" that I don't recall seeing before checking into this. It was there before deleting my account and is still there after adding it back, and it's also showing the sync error.

Any other steps I should try?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think People Details relates to Google+ profiles.

What if you clear cache/data for both the Contacts app and the Contacts Storage app?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think People Details relates to Google+ profiles.

What if you clear cache/data for both the Contacts app and the Contacts Storage app?
I tried that with no luck. I also just tried removing my Google account again (which also removes my contacts, which are safely backed up), but this time restarting the phone and doing a system cache clear before adding the account back with no luck either.

And this seems to be mostly an issue with Google, not my contacts app. I say this because of the lack of a contacts sync option in my Google account settings when I add it back, which is separate from the contacts app.

Heck, at this point if someone could direct me to a reliable voice dialing app, I'd be happy. I've never liked Google's way of doing it, which is part of what lead to this issue in the first place. If you have a contact that isn't sync'd with your Google account, it won't recognize it as such and fail to dial.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What if you do a full factory reset, and then add your Google contact back? I wonder if something "broke" when you removed your Google account initially. It's a pain in the rear, admittedly, but might be worth trying.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What if you do a full factory reset, and then add your Google contact back? I wonder if something "broke" when you removed your Google account initially. It's a pain in the rear, admittedly, but might be worth trying.
That's going to be my last resort.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured it out. I randomly got a notification the Google Play Services didn't have the contacts permission set. So I went in to the application manager and found that it was off and turned it back on. After restarting my phone, the Contacts option re-appeared in my Google account sync settings, plus it and the People Details option now sync.

My only guess is it happened a while back when I went on a permissions restrictions spree, turning them off on apps that shouldn't need them. I don't recall turning that specific permission off, and no idea why it would've taken this long for the problem to surface. Then again, I rarely change my contacts, which could explain the timing issue. That, plus Google's junky assistant voice dialing not working right is how I found out.

Kyle Hor

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
I think I figured it out. I randomly got a notification the Google Play Services didn't have the contacts permission set. So I went in to the application manager and found that it was off and turned it back on. After restarting my phone, the Contacts option re-appeared in my Google account sync settings, plus it and the People Details option now sync.

My only guess is it happened a while back when I went on a permissions restrictions spree, turning them off on apps that shouldn't need them. I don't recall turning that specific permission off, and no idea why it would've taken this long for the problem to surface. Then again, I rarely change my contacts, which could explain the timing issue. That, plus Google's junky assistant voice dialing not working right is how I found out.

I have the same problem. Removed google account and add it back in. Now my contacts are all blanks and my calendar as well. I check my Application permission, they are ok as I did not meddle with it before. What else could be the problem.