Gorilla Glass

Matt.ny.tech

Sep 7, 2010
www.yodouche.com
This may not answer the question as to what type or who created the glass on the Evo, but I will be happy to sacrifice a screen today to see just how much abuse it will take.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
you understand incorrectly

this has been a debate since the beginning. I wonder why HTC wouldn't list it on their website?

So, do you think HTC is lying on their website where they say the EVO does have Gorilla Glass then?

htc doesn't have it on their website..corning does

Also, HTC is making a big deal of their new phone having gorilla glass....why wouldn't they do it for their other phones if they had it?

Matt.ny.tech

Sep 7, 2010
www.yodouche.com
I know I?m beating a dead horse but I was bored. This doesn?t answer the ?Is it X brand glass? question but IMHO it does prove that the Evo glass is rugged as sh*t.

Thanks to Eric S for the donation of the digitizer.

Freshly peeled from the donor?
IMG_20110429_122735.jpg

Shout out to Atmel Corp for their fancy maXTouch Microcontroller?
IMG_20110429_122757.jpg

Evo glass VS steel dental pick? I scratched at it vigorously for a few minutes with varied pressure. Trust me, I didn?t hold back.
IMG_20110429_122809.jpg

The business end of the pick has a decent weight to it. I put a little a*s behind it and gave it half a dozen whacks.
IMG_20110429_123136.jpg

Not a scratch to be found.
IMG_20110429_123040.jpg

Can it be scratched? Yep. Can it be smashed? Yep. Will it survive the daily abuse it will see tossed in your pocket with your keys and related what not? Yep.
All in all it?s a rugged piece of glass regardless of manufacturer and I honestly see no reason for you to be concerned with daily wear and tear.

P.S. It?s just a coincidence that my desk looks like the same one in the Nexus S swag post ;)

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
While metal may not scratch the glass, metal is not as hard as the strengthened glass thats used when compared on the hardness scale. BUT get some sand from the beach or similarly fine sand and rub it all around. It will scratch, trust me, my evo had a run in with the sand in my pocket that somehow got in there (pesky beach sand;)).

Overall though, whoever makes the dang thing, it IS a quality piece of glass. Its just a name lets all remember, and i think we can get away with telling our friends its gorilla glass :)

esanger22

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh, not for nothing, but if you complain to Sprint about a bad batch of EVOs you've gotten, they apparently offer you 15% off your bill indefinitely if your a business customer :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
How about a new twist...It IS Gorilla Glass...(Prove that it's not)

Disclaimer: I don't know if it is or not, but instead of having to prove that it is, how about the naysayers proving that it's not for a change?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Disclaimer: I don't know if it is or not, but instead of having to prove that it is, how about the naysayers proving that it's not for a change?

I love it! But fair warning...they will just say "mine broke when I dropped it two inches into a bin of fluffy bunnies, therefore no gorilla glass". ;)

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So, do you think HTC is lying on their website where they say the EVO does have Gorilla Glass then?

Actually it is possible. To be Honest I work at Sprint a just minutes ago replaced a screen in an EVO. And it was screen number 30 or so I have replaced. And I have replaced 0 in an EPIC. I don't understand why the EVO glass is so fragile???? I really don't get it. I have seen Epics and being dropped off of moving cars and the phone is cracked and dented a beat , yet the glass is intact and rarely scratched.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually it is possible. To be Honest I work at Sprint a just minutes ago replaced a screen in an EVO. And it was screen number 30 or so I have replaced. And I have replaced 0 in an EPIC. I don't understand why the EVO glass is so fragile???? I really don't get it. I have seen Epics and being dropped off of moving cars and the phone is cracked and dented a beat , yet the glass is intact and rarely scratched.

Well, my daughter has broken her screen on her Epic and mine and my wife's EVOs are still completely scratch free. Maybe you've changed 30 more screens on EVOs because it is just that much more popular than the Epic?

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, my daughter has broken her screen on her Epic and mine and my wife's EVOs are still completely scratch free. Maybe you've changed 30 more screens on EVOs because it is just that much more popular than the Epic?

Possible ...yes. But in the last 60 days I have sold more Epics then Evo's. And we are currently out of Epics. And can't get any new phones for about 3 to 5 days.

How did she break ( crack ) an Epic screen? I have seen the LCD fail once, but not an actual glass break.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is more scratch resistant, but also more brittle. Drop your Evo, and the screen will likely shatter into a hundred pieces.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Possible ...yes. But in the last 60 days I have sold more Epics then Evo's. And we are currently out of Epics. And can't get any new phones for about 3 to 5 days.

How did she break ( crack ) an Epic screen? I have seen the LCD fail once, but not an actual glass break.

Had it on her lap and got out of a car. Fell about 2 feet to the driveway. (note: I would not expect gorilla glass to save a drop from 2 feet onto concrete).