hd widgets- weather not updating - lg k8

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

hoping someone can help,
no matter what i try i can not get the hd widgets widget to update.
sometimes it will do so when i load navigation maps so it kicks in the gps it will update then but it can not update on its own even if it is set to do so.
i prefer to use the obtain location from current networks option for my battery but this also does not seem to work.
i have even set it to not be included in battery optimisation.

i cant use the stock one on the lg as it does not have a link to the clock and other details.
can anyone try assist?

chezybezy

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Is it under Settings>Connections?

Sorry for the delay it didn't notify me of the reply.
The only section I can seem to find anything like that is under, phone settings> wireless networks > mobile data> 3 dots > data saver > unrestricted data access.

But that's for mobile data and I rarely use it, I never used it to "refresh" my weather info.

Is this what you where referring to please? Or am I looking for a similar setting elsewhere?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's hard for me to say where the option might be, or if it might be called something different -- different phones might show things differently, so it's always a bit of a challenge for a phone that I can't test out in my own hands.:-\

Are you saying that you always use wi-fi, and only rarely mobile data? If so, does this behavior occur with any wi-fi network, or only with a particular one?

chezybezy

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
It's hard for me to say where the option might be, or if it might be called something different -- different phones might show things differently, so it's always a bit of a challenge for a phone that I can't test out in my own hands.:-\

Are you saying that you always use wi-fi, and only rarely mobile data? If so, does this behavior occur with any wi-fi network, or only with a particular one?

Thanks, Sorry for the delay,
Yes that's correct, I always use wifi and rarely mobile data. This behavior seems to occur with every wifi network I recall using.

Any chance you can give me the general idea of the purpose of the setting? Is it to limit mobile background data? All data? Etc? Just wanting to make sure I'm understanding.
Thank you for all you help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Traditionally, Restrict Background Data is a setting for Mobile Data, and is intended to prevent either a specific app or most apps in general from accessing the web while in the background. This obviously helps to decrease overall data usage, which is important for those without unlimited plans -- however, it can also impact apps that need to do things in the background (like a weather widget that wants to update its weather info periodically in the background).

On my Pixel 2 XL running Oreo 8.1, I can restrict background data for individual apps by going to Settings>Apps, selecting an app, then turning off the Background Data toggle. This is for mobile data only, but if it's also happening on wi-fi, then it's possible you set the wi-fi network to observe the same background data restrictions as a mobile network (which is called "metered wi-fi"). This can be found in Settings>Network & Internet>Data Usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001