Help! Free tethering apps no longer work after getting Jelly Bean this morning...

RFanti

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, it seems that Verizon has found a way to pick up the signal than it shuts down the 4-g signal!

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Unlimited data plan, unlocked and rooted GNex running stock Jelly Bean, SwitchPro Widget WiFi tether toggle works fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlimited data plan, unlocked and rooted GNex running stock Jelly Bean, SwitchPro Widget WiFi tether toggle works fine.

Andrew Karassik

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
no not working on LG LUCID

no free wifi hotspot

can someone please explain
what is stocked, rom and all this? why cant i get anything to fix this... did i miss something?

garyfritz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, I'm joining the leagues of confused non-working users...

I have a new RAZR M. Stock Jelly Bean. I'm on Verizon's Unlimited Talk & Text plan, which includes hotspot/tethering coverage. Laptop has Windows 7.

I tried the tethering & hotspot once or twice before Christmas, but I tried to use it today without much luck.

* Hotspot: my laptop connects to the hotspot almost instantly. Sometimes data gets out, sometimes not. It'll work for a few seconds and then nothing. Still connected to the hotspot but no internet.

* Tethering: when I turn on the tethering, the Network & Sharing app locks up. Sometimes the pop-up "click on the icon in the systray to see available wifi" icon is also unresponsive. When it works, it shows an unknown network and "Identifying..." Network & Sharing is still hung while tethering is on. I think (as with the hotspot) I'll occasionally get a few seconds of data, even though nothing indicates I'm actually connected to the Internet, but most of the time, nothing.

What would cause it to work sometimes and not others? Why are Win7 network apps hanging? How do I get this to WORK!?

EDIT: I thought maybe the 4G signal was too flaky here, and that was why it would work for a few seconds and then die. So I thought I'd make sure to use a wifi connection for the phone -- instead of having the phone use 4G for its network connection -- and see if the laptop could successfully connect to the tethered phone that way. I found that enabling tethering TURNS OFF the wifi. Not only does it not use wifi while it's tethered, but the wifi stays off even after you turn off tethering! Is that intended??

Last edited:

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
hey guys, I bought the sgs3 last week and it was running ICS stock everything fine with using foxfi to wirelessly hotspot. vzw loaded JB onto my phone yesterday and foxfi stopped working for me today. I was totally bummed but glad I found this thread I dl'd fattin hotspot toggle widget and will give it a try and post back here

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
update #2: fuqelkfowebgjwbvowrgjbeoigheo!!!!!!! fattin worked great for about 2 hours and then broke. Same problem as foxfi 4g going on and off. So frustrating. Guess I'll try a factory reset and if that doesn't work will reluctantly pay someone to root the phone because without tethering it's useless to me :(

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
update 3: after a factory reset I made sure not to download foxfi and am using the fattin widget, seems to be working fine again bit is NOT as fast of a connection as foxfi gave (that's why I liked it so much) but it's at least working. fingers crossed that solved the problemo

I really don't understand why the internet connection with native tethering is so much slower than it was with foxfi? what a bummer?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe