Help - Verizon GS3 Video Dies During Root/Flash Attempt

n8pe

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just received my stock GS3 with 4.1.2 back from having its glass replaced as a result of an unfortunate incident. I did a cursory test of the LCD and digitizer and all seemed well.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to root this phone and put CM10.1 on it before switching back from my backup device.

I was carefully following the steps given in this post: [GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA ***UPDATED 5/29*** - xda-developers.

Step 2 (Flashing VRALEC Bootchain to allow Custom Recovery) seemed to proceed normally. But upon rebooting the phone after that step, the screen remained completely black. The startup sounds are heard, the notification LED blinks, and notifications are heard as e-mails arrive. It will also boot back into Odin mode and communicate with Odin.

Is this a realistic consequence of a root attempt gone bad? Or a hardware problem related to the recent glass breakage and/or repair?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Craig Rogers

Banned
Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, it seems something went wrong. If you were able to see everything before, but after a root attempt it's black, I would say you corrupted something. It happens, don't worry. Go into Odin and flash the stock rom back onto the phone. You can find a guide by searching for unroot galaxy s3 on YouTube. The process will get you back to stock. Now, as for rooting, I think you used the wrong bootchain file. They are different for each version of android, like 4.1.1 and 4.1.2. That's probably where you ran into problems, but don't worry it happens. Here, I found this for you. This provides thorough explanations of all the files and lists the ones needed for each version of android. I hope this helps! http://droidviews.com/2013/root-and...erizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535-android-4-1-14-1-2/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrustick71