Help with my J3

polie10

Jun 28, 2024
Visit site
I'm from the United kingdom and I can't get the galaxy j3 to update to marshmallow or nougat all my mates with a j3 have nougat or marshmallow and I'm stuck on lollipop

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is the phone factory-unlocked? If it's a carrier-branded phone, it may be 'locked' to being in the original carrier's network for it to update (even if it's been unlocked for 3rd party carrier use) or the update may not be available for that specific carrier version. If the update has been released recently, it could still be pending for your device as the updates roll out (usually takes a couple months for it to hit all units).

Reactions: Madd62

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried using Smart Switch to update the phone? If that doesn't work, you might be able to flash the ROM -- @mustang7757 can help with that.

You probably know this already, but even if you're able to upgrade it to Marshmallow, that phone will still be extremely out of date. That means you'll encounter more and more incompatibilities with major apps, and there will also be some significant unpatched security flaws. If you're able to, I would recommend recycling that phone and getting a more current one.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried using Smart Switch to update the phone? If that doesn't work, you might be able to flash the ROM -- @mustang7757 can help with that.

You probably know this already, but even if you're able to upgrade it to Marshmallow, that phone will still be extremely out of date. That means you'll encounter more and more incompatibilities with major apps, and there will also be some significant unpatched security flaws. If you're able to, I would recommend recycling that phone and getting a more current one.
That device is old lol
But if there is one available Odin and Frija tool or finding the firmware like Sam mobile

Reactions: Madd62 and B. Diddy

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
My comment may be irrelevant as GSMArena shows the 2016 model either shipped with Lollipop 5.1 or Marshmallow 6.0 and was upgradeable to Nougat.
Perhaps the Lollipop version received only one upgrade.

Either way there's another reason the J3 didn't get the upgrade. Regional model variation perhaps.
Check if they're all J320F's.