how about that EVO 3D camera?

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i noticed on the HTC website that the EVO 3D's camera is 5MP in 2D mode, 2MP in 3D mode. the EVO non-3D is 8MP. i love the EVO non-3D's camera, it's all i use when traveling. i also love the new EVO 3D with it's faster processor and larger RAM. problem is, i don't want to give up picture quality if i upgrade my phone. does anyone have any firsthand comparo knowledge between the 2?

TIA.

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site
You can't judge a camera simply on the number of megapixels on the spec sheet. I think the general consensus is that you can snap pictures of equal or better quality on the E3D as compared to the Evo 4G. Just make sure to adjust the camera settings and use proper lighting.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I seem to take 5mp 3D pics with my dual 5mp lenses camera on the EVO 3D. I am not sure where you are getting 2mp from. Also there has been many post about this topic with pictures posted from both the EVO 4g and evo 3D. The evo 3D was clearly taking the better pictures and videos.

There are many parts to a camera. The mp is only part of it.

I just checked HTC.com. Nowhere does it say the Evo 3D takes 3D pics at 2mp. It says over and over, DUAL 5MP or 3D pics. The closet is the 1.3mp FRONT facing camera.

Since this was moved to the Evo 3D forums, are you spreading false information about the Evo 3D? I would like to see the link to the HTC site saying it is taking 2mp pictures with 5mp cameras

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
it is my understanding that when the evo3d does take photos in 3D that it takes two, 2mp images, and then using the 2 layered screens creates a 4mp final image. I've seen this quite often in reviews. sorry, I'm sick and lazy today or I'd hunt down links.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Per htc.com:

Dual 5 megapixel color camera:

Capture 2D photos with up to 5 megapixel resolution
Capture 3D photos with up to 2 megapixel resolution
Auto focus and dual LED flash

Front camera:

1.3 megapixel fixed focus color camera

HD video recording:

Record 2D/3D videos with up to 720p resolution

All I know is that I love my phone and all it does.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The limitation of cell phone cameras isn't the number of pixels, it's the poor optics - an unavoidable consequence of the tiny space available for the lens system.

Not to mention, my computer screen is 1440 x 900 = 1,296,000 pixels, so more than 2 megapixels wouldn't be of much use unless I'm trying to print large-format pictures, in which case I should be using a "real" camera anyway.

I'm sure the more-megapixel cameras use some sort of averaging to minimize noise, but good optics (if it were possible in such a tiny space) would negate the need for that. Also keep in mind that, as any electrical engineer knows, to cut the noise in half you need not twice but four times as much data. So an 8 megapixel camera at best would have half the noise of a 2 megapixel camera.

p.mills

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
You know what's the best feature for the 3vo's camera? The dedicated shutter button. No more trying to juggle the camera with one hand while you touch the screen to with the other, or having to do crazy yoga finger stretches to reach the screen while actually keeping the phone steady, holding it with two hands.

Now it's actually trying to be a camera!

Don't really hear about that when you're just considering MP count...

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The limitation of cell phone cameras isn't the number of pixels, it's the poor optics - an unavoidable consequence of the tiny space available for the lens system.

Not to mention, my computer screen is 1440 x 900 = 1,296,000 pixels, so more than 2 megapixels wouldn't be of much use unless I'm trying to print large-format pictures, in which case I should be using a "real" camera anyway.

I'm sure the more-megapixel cameras use some sort of averaging to minimize noise, but good optics (if it were possible in such a tiny space) would negate the need for that. Also keep in mind that, as any electrical engineer knows, to cut the noise in half you need not twice but four times as much data. So an 8 megapixel camera at best would have half the noise of a 2 megapixel camera.

I would even go farther and say that without larger and better sensors that we are stuck with poor camera phones. I don't care how good some people think that we have come, our photos from cell phones are not much better then for web viewing.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You know what's the best feature for the 3vo's camera? The dedicated shutter button. No more trying to juggle the camera with one hand while you touch the screen to with the other, or having to do crazy yoga finger stretches to reach the screen while actually keeping the phone steady, holding it with two hands.

Now it's actually trying to be a camera!

Don't really hear about that when you're just considering MP count...

I totally agree! The dedicated camera button has definitely been a contributer in my ability to take better pics on my phone. I'm nowhere near the most coordinated person in the world ;)

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I seem to take 5mp 3D pics with my dual 5mp lenses camera on the EVO 3D. I am not sure where you are getting 2mp from. Also there has been many post about this topic with pictures posted from both the EVO 4g and evo 3D. The evo 3D was clearly taking the better pictures and videos.

There are many parts to a camera. The mp is only part of it.

I just checked HTC.com. Nowhere does it say the Evo 3D takes 3D pics at 2mp. It says over and over, DUAL 5MP or 3D pics. The closet is the 1.3mp FRONT facing camera.

Since this was moved to the Evo 3D forums, are you spreading false information about the Evo 3D? I would like to see the link to the HTC site saying it is taking 2mp pictures with 5mp cameras

dunno, pal, maybe it's actually HTC spreading false information ===> HTC EVO 3D Product Overview - HTC Smartphones

check the grey box at the bottom of the page, right column. i don't write the specs, just sharing what i found on the htc website and asking the forum for useful input.

p.mills

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
dunno, pal, maybe it's actually HTC spreading false information ===> HTC EVO 3D Product Overview - HTC Smartphones

check the grey box at the bottom of the page, right column. i don't write the specs, just sharing what i found on the htc website and asking the forum for useful input.

Just for clarification here; why are you concerned about 3d mp-count? Granted, you're technically right about the specs, but it's not like you're going to be printing 3d pictures...

Your real question, then, is just: is there a noticeable difference between the 5mp camera and the 8 mp camera... and I'm making the assumption that you're specifically talking about a noticeable difference when viewing these images online.

The answer is no, especially if you're coming from the perception that the 4g is providing you with "quality" pictures. Be realistic, either way you're getting snap-shots at best. But, if all you're doing is posting them online for friends to see where you've been, and you're happy with that, that's fine. The camera is a non-issue.

You still have to deal with the crappy controls for bracketing, zoom, et cetera, but you do get a dedicated shutter button with 1/2 press for focus. If you want to truly make quality photos, you're going to want a real camera.

ihatethisregistration

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
2 things: 1) I used to take headshots professionally, so I'm quite adept at picking out flaws, imperfections, and artifacts in photos, but I can tell you that these prints look good. Not "as good as from my l-series lens on my slr", but usable. 2) It's actually a 4mp image for the 5x7 lenticular print. the mpo files created with the EVO 3D contains TWO separate 1080p images.

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Just for clarification here; why are you concerned about 3d mp-count? Granted, you're technically right about the specs, but it's not like you're going to be printing 3d pictures...

Your real question, then, is just: is there a noticeable difference between the 5mp camera and the 8 mp camera... and I'm making the assumption that you're specifically talking about a noticeable difference when viewing these images online.

The answer is no, especially if you're coming from the perception that the 4g is providing you with "quality" pictures. Be realistic, either way you're getting snap-shots at best. But, if all you're doing is posting them online for friends to see where you've been, and you're happy with that, that's fine. The camera is a non-issue.

You still have to deal with the crappy controls for bracketing, zoom, et cetera, but you do get a dedicated shutter button with 1/2 press for focus. If you want to truly make quality photos, you're going to want a real camera.

thanks, yes, my question plainly and simply written was whether the 2 cameras compared. of course i know these arent going to be blown-up print quality photos, that's not what i use the EVO camera for; i have "real" cameras for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy