Thinking about upgrading to S10 from S8. How's that fingerprint sensor working these days?

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Have had my blue S10 for a couple days now and loving it! Still learning all of the new features it offers, especially in the camera.

One issue I discovered immediately was not being able to see the screen with my polarized shades, so the built in screen protector had to come off. So I'm now researching screen protectors. Until then, that's what insurance is for. LOL.

I had ordered the Poetic Rugged case with kick stand. Normally I just rock a clear bumper case, but after breaking the curved screen twice on the S8, after never breaking a screen before, I thought I'd go for something more protective.

It didn't work for me though. Was very protective, but it made the phone way too bulky for my small hands and the kick stand that I was going to use in place of a pop socket was way too hard to open. So it's going back to Amazon.

To replace it, I ordered a Ringke Fusion in black camo and a Spigen Slim Armour CS in Gun Metal. Just got them in today and loving both of these! The black camo Ringke on a blue S10 turns it to a sick blue camo! And I can still slap my pop socket on it and put a magnet underneath for the vent mount without it looking hideous like it did on totally clear cases. I think this will be my every day case.

The Spigen is super sweet as well and I can fit a magnet for the vent mount in the CC holder along with my ID and 1 or 2 cards and be good to go. I'll use this for going out when I don't want to carry a whole wallet.

Overall I think I'm set to rock this phone for a good few years. Can't wait to really get familiar with the camera and all the sweet options on it!

Attachments

• 4341.jpg
    4341.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20191119_115859.jpg
    20191119_115859.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Have had my blue S10 for a couple days now and loving it! Still learning all of the new features it offers, especially in the camera.

One issue I discovered immediately was not being able to see the screen with my polarized shades, so the built in screen protector had to come off. So I'm now researching screen protectors. Until then, that's what insurance is for. LOL.

I had ordered the Poetic Rugged case with kick stand. Normally I just rock a clear bumper case, but after breaking the curved screen twice on the S8, after never breaking a screen before, I thought I'd go for something more protective.

It didn't work for me though. Was very protective, but it made the phone way too bulky for my small hands and the kick stand that I was going to use in place of a pop socket was way too hard to open. So it's going back to Amazon.

To replace it, I ordered a Ringke Fusion in black camo and a Spigen Slim Armour CS in Gun Metal. Just got them in today and loving both of these! The black camo Ringke on a blue S10 turns it to a sick blue camo! And I can still slap my pop socket on it and put a magnet underneath for the vent mount without it looking hideous like it did on totally clear cases. I think this will be my every day case.

The Spigen is super sweet as well and I can fit a magnet for the vent mount in the CC holder along with my ID and 1 or 2 cards and be good to go. I'll use this for going out when I don't want to carry a whole wallet.

Overall I think I'm set to rock this phone for a good few years. Can't wait to really get familiar with the camera and all the sweet options on it!
So glad you are liking it! Those look like sweet cases! Enjoy!

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Fingerprint is hit and miss. It's not that great to me. Mine alot of times takes 3 or 4 presses to recognize it. More often than not, face unlock recognizes my face and unlocks my phone a heck of a lot easier and swifter. It's just not a good fingerprint sensor as a first gen type under the screen.

That's with a clean screen and no protector covering it, and clean fingers.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Fingerprint is hit and miss. It's not that great to me. Mine alot of times takes 3 or 4 presses to recognize it. More often than not, face unlock recognizes my face and unlocks my phone a heck of a lot easier and swifter. It's just not a good fingerprint sensor as a first gen type under the screen.

That's with a clean screen and no protector covering it, and clean fingers.

I'm sorry it's so hit-and-miss for you! I'm hoping with future updates, it will be more efficient. Mine usually works on first try but if I'm distracted or outside then it's a bit more difficult!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll be getting my screen protector from Samsung tonight or tomorrow, so I will post about how efficient the in-display fingerprint scanner is after installation.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Which one are you getting? I'm interested in your thoughts.
It's just the basic screen protector for the S10. There didn't seem to be too many options. It cost about $33 CAD so hopefully it's good! I'm a little nervous to find out! Hopefully I'll get it tonight and install it today so I can post about my thoughts soon!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Update to my last post: I installed the Samsung-manufactured screen protector. It was a two-pack which was awesome because it did cost about $34. They are plastic but a hard and premium plastic. I'd watched a few tutorials on what to do and so I felt a bit more prepared when it came to installing it. There are two tabs you pull off and the installation went better than inspected. The first "tab" even has a white circle to better assist you in positioning it over the hole punch notch.

I'm happy to report that the in-display fingerprint scanner and edge screen all work and the screen protector, though a plastic film, feels premium to the touch and makes my phone once again look like a flagship device, if that makes sense. I highly recommend it, especially since Samsung made it and so one can be assured that it will work with the screen's features.

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Update to my last post: I installed the Samsung-manufactured screen protector. It was a two-pack which was awesome because it did cost about $34. They are plastic but a hard and premium plastic. I'd watched a few tutorials on what to do and so I felt a bit more prepared when it came to installing it. There are two tabs you pull off and the installation went better than inspected. The first "tab" even has a white circle to better assist you in positioning it over the hole punch notch.

I'm happy to report that the in-display fingerprint scanner and edge screen all work and the screen protector, though a plastic film, feels premium to the touch and makes my phone once again look like a flagship device, if that makes sense. I highly recommend it, especially since Samsung made it and so one can be assured that it will work with the screen's features.

Do they work with polarized sunglasses with the phone vertical? I had to pull off the pre-installed one because it didn't.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Do they work with polarized sunglasses with the phone vertical? I had to pull off the pre-installed one because it didn't.

I'm sorry, I do not have polarized sunglasses so I am unsure! The review I've watched of the screen protector said it was of premium quality... But I am unsure of that. Sorry again!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29