How can I access a USB hard drive plugged into my wifi router?

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Access a USB hard drive plugged into my wifi router

Just wondering how to access a hard drive plugged into my router from my GNP? Odd thing is, a few months ago I plugged this hard drive into my router, and could access it from my my main pc over wifi to the router.
Now cannot even do that, but my main interest is to access it from the note pro. Would mean that at home, at least, would not have to fiddle around with adapters and cables to plug a hard drive directly into my GNP.
Help, anyone?

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Access a USB hard drive plugged into my wifi router

Not sure if I have correctly set everything up in my router. Netgear WNDR3700. Have declared the hard drive as approved device. Have turned on use of usb hard drive, etc etc. But still cannot see or access the hard drive from my pc (wifi connection), so not confident it will be visible on Note Pro.
Also concerned at reports re writing to external SD card with ES File Explorer (although viewing files and running media from this hard drive is my main concern

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site

OK, I installed ES File Explorer. It let me view and access files on my PC (after a little fooling around with Sharing). It also allowed me to choose the app I wished to use to run videos and music.

The standard My Files does not allow me to do this, but always defaults to specific apps for music files, videos, etc.
Can this be changed, anyone?

However, went to Network, Lan, and the Gateway, and saw only an icon labelled IPC$, but no files, folders, directory etc. So I still haven't done something right with my router usb settings, it seems.
I suspect somewhere amongst all the media names, server names, device names, etc I have nominated the wrong name for the system to recognise the USB drive plugged into the server.
Any experts here?

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site

For the record, don't know why I didn't update this ages ago, as I have successfully been accessing the USB Hard drive plugged into the router for well over 18 months, both over wifi via my Note Pro and Blu-ray player, and subsequently via ethernet from my blu-ray player (Oppo BDP 95AU).
My PC's Windows 97 system, however, has totally lost it as far as "Readyshare" working, either over wifi or through ethernet. Got around this by buying a second cheap internal drive, doing a minimal Windows 7 installation, and using the F8 key to control which hard drive I boot up from.
The new minimal installation system has no probs reading the hard drive plugged into my router (very pleased, as it is a 3TB hard drive with all my music and a lot of video recorded).
Judging from trips around cyberspace, this failure of "Readyshare" is a problem many people have had, esp with Windows 7.