How can I root my GS4 SCH-I545 running 5.0.1

Brian Rakita

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Verizon Wireless, Build LRX22CJ545VRUGOC1 (not sure if the 3rd to last character is "0" or "O")

I've had a rooted phone years ago, but when I got my GS4, I never saw the need to do it.

Then it started bugging me to upgrade to 5.0.1, and I let it.

The only complaint I have, other than running a bit sluggish, is that the app '2Battery' will not work with the upgrade unless rooted. When it worked, this app turned off wifi and mobile data for 15 minutes at a time when asleep, turning them on for short bursts between to allow the email, etc to update. Then when I wake it up, wifi and mobile data work normally.

I inspect farms for a living, and I need my phone to be ready for me all day. I can't be wedded to an outlet or a car to keep it working, and carrying a spare battery would be a real drag. When '2 battery' works, my phone will last about 2 days on sleep mode, but without it, I get at best 6 hours, even after replacing the battery.

Unfortunately, everything I've read about how to successfully root my device end at the upgrade I just accepted.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd be willing to pay somebody else to do it if it's tricky.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Verizon Wireless, Build LRX22CJ545VRUGOC1 (not sure if the 3rd to last character is "0" or "O")

I've had a rooted phone years ago, but when I got my GS4, I never saw the need to do it.

Then it started bugging me to upgrade to 5.0.1, and I let it.

The only complaint I have, other than running a bit sluggish, is that the app '2Battery' will not work with the upgrade unless rooted. When it worked, this app turned off wifi and mobile data for 15 minutes at a time when asleep, turning them on for short bursts between to allow the email, etc to update. Then when I wake it up, wifi and mobile data work normally.

I inspect farms for a living, and I need my phone to be ready for me all day. I can't be wedded to an outlet or a car to keep it working, and carrying a spare battery would be a real drag. When '2 battery' works, my phone will last about 2 days on sleep mode, but without it, I get at best 6 hours, even after replacing the battery.

Unfortunately, everything I've read about how to successfully root my device end at the upgrade I just accepted.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd be willing to pay somebody else to do it if it's tricky.

Welcome to Android Central!

You can try using towelroot and see if it works for you.

I'm throwing a party and you should come **GS5 ROOT THREAD** - Post #1 - XDA Forums