How come I'm still on 4.04?

jpevear

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the Verizon network with my Razr Maxx and I thought they upgraded this phone to Jellybean earlier this year. I hit 'System Updates' and says my "device is up to date"

System version is: 6.16.215.xt912
Android Version 4.04

Any infor on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the Verizon network with my Razr Maxx and I thought they upgraded this phone to Jellybean earlier this year. I hit 'System Updates' and says my "device is up to date"

Android Version 4.04

Go to settings then apps then all then click on Google services framework or something like that. Click on clear cache then try updating. Tell me if that works

Sent from my XT881 using AC Forums mobile app

jpevear

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the clear cache button is highlighted onder Google Services Framework. Only options are 'Force Stop, Disable and Clear Data'

jpevear

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I tried that twice and no luck. Even rebooted after I cleared data just to see, but still saying it's up to date.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you spoken to Verizon or brought your phone in to your local Verizon store? It really should have been updated automatically. If they can't get it to update, I'd be inclined to ask them for a replacement phone, since it's essentially defective (unless you bought it used somewhere else).

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site

Android Version 4.04

Your problem is right here: System version is: 6.16.215.xt912

At some point you upgraded to the 215 leak. You'll never get an update while you're on that version.

If you want to get to the official JB release, you can use mattlgroff's utility; it can be found here. Note that it will perform a complete wipe; if you want to salvage your app, launcher, etc. settings, you'll want something like Titanium Backup to save (and restore) individual apps and their settings. It comes with the drivers you'll need to update your phone using your computer, and it also includes the current OTA 4.1.2 JB release.

Last edited:

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Nice detective work!

Thanks. I had upgraded to the .215 leak myself, and remember lots of warnings about getting back on .211 to get OTAs, and that "rebloating" would be required too. I was pretty happy with 4.0.4, though, and didn't have a pressing need to go to JB. I also don't think a JB root exploit was found until the March '13 timeframe, so that was a big reason for staying away from JB.

But then I discovered that Dan Rosenberg had worked his magic and created the Razr Blade root exploit. Sooo . . . I was bored one day, backed up all my apps with TiBu, and fired up mattlgroff's utility. Everything went smoothly, and now I have the OTA 4.1.2 as my stock ROM. I went the extra mile though and installed SafeStrap, so now I also have CyanogenMod 10.1 (4.2.2), and Rage ROM (based on 4.1.2) available to play with.

Plenty 'o life left in the old girl ;)

jpevear

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank You, very much. Thing is I did try to install the leaked version but it never took. Basically it said it failed to install. Anyway, I'll give this a try. Appreciate it!

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
If it's telling you that the release you're running on is .215, you were successful at some point. But that really doesn't matter; take the plunge with mattlgroff's utility. You won't regret it!

jpevear

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Your problem is right here: System version is: 6.16.215.xt912

At some point you upgraded to the 215 leak. You'll never get an update while you're on that version.

If you want to get to the official JB release, you can use mattlgroff's utility; it can be found here. Note that it will perform a complete wipe; if you want to salvage your app, launcher, etc. settings, you'll want something like Titanium Backup to save (and restore) individual apps and their settings. It comes with the drivers you'll need to update your phone using your computer, and it also includes the current OTA 4.1.2 JB release.

Thanks again. Took your suggestion and worked like a charm.

jpevear

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I did a search on both Google and here and could not find any solutions. After updating to Jelly Bean, I noticed the alarm app is gone and the ability to use your own mp3s in the alarm clock function is gone, too. I tried placing some mp3's in the system/media/audio/alarm folder but the files wouldn't copy over using Astro File manager. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to use your own mp3's using the stock clock app? I'm currently using Alarm Clock extreme in the time being but don't like relying on a third party app for my alarm. Any help would be appreciated. And thanks again for those who helped me update to Jelly Bean. So far, so good!

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
As far as copying the files is concerned, you'll probably need to mount that filesystem as r/w first. I don't use Astro, but I do know that ES File Explorer will mount r/w and you'll be able to update or add files to that filesystem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastura24