How do I set a custom ringtone on the Pixel 2?

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded a couple of mp3 files that I've used successfully as ringtones on the past two phones I've owned (Nexus 6P and Nexus 4) and put them in the phone's Ringtones folder using the included file browser (in the Downloads app), but they don't show up as ringtone options in sound settings even after a reboot.

What am I missing?

Last edited:

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
You have put them in the wrong folder , or they would show when you try to assign a ringtone, I've assigned several ringtones to separate contacts or notifications for different apps,

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I got a couple off of the Zedge app and found them in a file marked Zedge. Previously they would just show up in the sounds file on the phone. They must be there somewhere. One method I've used is to open a ringtone making app, "ringtone maker" is the one I use and it will allow you to put them in a file on the phone under alerts, alarms or ringtones. Kinda roundabout, I'm sure someone else will chime in with perhaps a better, easier solution. I'll be looking for that.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I am having some issue getting Zedge ringtones to my on phone selection of ringtones. Seems before I could download the Zedge ringtones and they would show up in my default ringtone list. Now in Zedge I can select a ringtone but I can't download to my phone. I believe I have the paid version. As normal, I probably am doing something wrong...

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Free version of Zedge here I save them to phone but they never go to the right folder you can also save to Zedge but either way you half to move them annoying.
Haven't found the true solution yet.

Maybe I overlooked set to contact ringtone that would do it for individual

477a48de3f9ff25abbaaee6982237072.jpg

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I always choose to save to phone which it does but then under "sounds" in settings if I go to change the ringtone it gives me the option to use the "sounds" app or zedge. If I click on the "sounds" app within the phone the ringtones are not there. If I click Zedge they are in that file which is also on the phone as I understand it. I might download a good file manager for a better perspective on what's going on.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I tried a different file manager and deleted it so now I'm using the stock one and could be better.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use Zedge; they're files I created ages ago to use as ringtones that I downloaded to the phone manually from Drive.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Update- I restarted the phone for a third time 24 hours later and they appeared in the list, so I'm still not really sure what exactly did it. I changed one of the file names just to see what would happen and it's still in the list under the old name, so maybe there's some strange delayed reaction thingy happening? I can't tell. Will try to play some more when I have time.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
What I do to copy custom ringtones/notifications and alarms:

• Connect device via USB to a PC
  • Open folder "Android"
  • Open folder named "Media"
  • In that folder, create subfolders for the media files you want to copy: "Alarms" for alarms, "Notifications" for notifications, "Ringtones" for your ringtones.
  • Copy the files you wish to use to those subfolders.
  • Disconnect the device from your PC. All your custom ringrtones/notifications and alarms will now be available for your use.

JoelSandler

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site

• Open folder "Android"
  • In that folder, create subfolders for the media files you want to copy: "Alarms" for alarms, "Notifications" for notifications, "Ringtones" for your ringtones.
  • Disconnect the device from your PC. All your custom ringrtones/notifications and alarms will now be available for your use.

That worked right away, easiest fix. Thanks you

siberianfury67

Mar 6, 2018
Visit site
I tried everything I know to get my pixel 2 to recognize my ringtones. It never found them. I had to use my PC and put them in the ringtones folder. Then turn off the phone. It then recognized all 150 of them. nothing else I tried worked.

jimfuqua

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I downloaded the ringtone from Amazon Music purchased MP3s to my computer and emailed it to myself as an attachment, but could have downloaded it directly to my phone. From the email on my phoneI downloaded the attachment and found it in Music in my file manager app.

When I pressed on the icon in the Music folder it was selected. Then I went to the options and was given the option to copy it into a number of folders, one was marked ringtones. When copied into that folder it showed up in the available ringtones under the system menu. I was fumbling around, but it turned out to be easy.

Manj1699

Apr 25, 2018
Visit site
I found an easy way by chance I think

I downloaded es file explorer after that

-go to set a ringtone it'll ask you option "complete action using sounds" or "use different app" select es file explorer find your music and select and works fine.have attached few screen shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180425-182743.jpg
    Screenshot_20180425-182743.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20180425-182748.jpg
    Screenshot_20180425-182748.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20180425-182804.jpg
    Screenshot_20180425-182804.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 26

arelg

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

• Open folder "Android"

Not working for me on Android version 9. I got the mp3 copied from the pc into Android/Media/ringtones but it does not show up in the list of selectable ringtones in Settings>Sound>Phone ringtone. I have seen the other solutions but they all seem to require non-Google apps which require permissions which I do not fully understand.

Thanks, Bob

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There should be a directory called /Ringtones already on the phone (not /Android/Media/Ringtones). The full pathname should be something like /storage/emulated/0/Ringtones -- this is a user-accessible directory, which doesn't contain the preinstalled ringtones (so don't expect to see them there). Moving any mp3 (or wav or ogg) file there should make it appear in your ringtone selection list.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
And try rebooting the phone if you don't immediately see the file in the list after putting it in the Ringtones folder - that'll force a rescan of the file system.

arelg

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Mr. Ambassador and GSDer. I should explain more fully because I am seeing something which really confuses me. Back on Oct. 7th (when I originally posted here) I had moved a file named "Peter GunnRT.mp3" to a RingTone folder on my Pixel2 but saw no such file in Settings. But I did see a file named "Theme Song to Peter Gunn". But since I used to have a Peter Gunn theme song on my old Nexus I figured that "Theme Song to Peter Gunn" must be that file from the Nexus, although I had not noticed it before. Now the "Peter GunnRT.mp3" file happens to be the same as a file named "Theme Song to Peter Gunn.mp3" except for some simple editing. I have now moved "Peter GunnRT.mp3" to a directory/folder which shows up in Windows as "Pixel 2 > Internal shared Storage > Ringtones". It had previously been empty and now contains only the file I moved there which is still named "Peter GunnRT.mp3". NOW in Settings -> Sound -> Phone ringtone I see TWO instances of "Theme Song to Peter Gunn".

The only thing I can think of which would explain what I am seeing is if Android has a different way to determine the name of an mp3 file than Windows does. But surely that cannot be true. If I can still find a hex file editor I used to have I will check to see if the other name of the file (i.e. "Theme Song to Peter Gunn") is embedded in the file.

Can you guys make any sense of what I am seeing?

Thanks, Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooli