Add ringtones to pixel 5

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Where are stock pixel 5 ringtones stored? I have used files app. and cannot find them. I have downloaded ringtones that I want to use and put them into a created folder labeled ringtones in internal storage.
When I go to one of my contacts and press on set ringtone it brings up the stock groups of ringtones..
How do I get my own ringtones included in this group?
Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Stock ringtones are stored in a protected system directory -- you can't access it with a file manager unless the phone is rooted, I think.

The phone should have a /Ringtones directory that the system already generated, where you can place your custom ringtones. Is that what you're talking about, or did you actually create another "ringtones" directory yourself?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
All Google phones store their ringtones and notifications in an accessible "audio" folder. You can get into it via the OEM files app. I download new ringtones all the time from Zedge and move them into one or the other folder.

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your response.
Yes, I created my own ringtone folder. Installed my ringtones here and not showing as available ringtones when trying to add one to a contact.
I opened my pixel 5 on my computer, went through all folders and do not find a stock ringtone folder.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your response.
Yes, I created my own ringtone folder. Installed my ringtones here and not showing as available ringtones when trying to add one to a contact.
I opened my pixel 5 on my computer, went through all folders and do not find a stock ringtone folder.

When you go to add a ringtone to a contact it will take you to all the available ringtone folders. Right now you are not looking to add a stock ringtone but one you downloaded right? Go into the folder where you stored that ringtone. If its not in there, hit the "+" symbol at the bottom right to add it.

I personally like to use "file manager" app. Its easier to navigate through than the OEM file app. In there you want to create, or you will see an "Audio" folder. In that folder you want to create two more folders "Ringtones" and "Notifications". Then anything you save/download for yourself you can put in them respectively and select for whatever situations you want.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
All Google phones store their ringtones and notifications in an accessible "audio" folder. You can get into it via the OEM files app. I download new ringtones all the time from Zedge and move them into one or the other folder.

Are you talking about the /Ringtones directory, or are you talking about the system directory where the preinstalled ringtones are located? I can't locate the latter on my 6 Pro (which is unrooted).

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the /Ringtones directory, or are you talking about the system directory where the preinstalled ringtones are located? I can't locate the latter on my 6 Pro (which is unrooted).
On my 6pro I have the audio folder and a majority of preinstalled sounds are stored in there.

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi;
Thank you for your help!
I created an audio file as in HyperM3 note above and created sub files.
This has worked.
It created a new Sounds folder within the stock sound folders which was available when adding a ringtone to a contact.
Nice to have helpful people here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On my 6pro I have the audio folder and a majority of preinstalled sounds are stored in there.

Aha, I was using Total Commander to look at first, not Files by Google. Now I see them. A few observations:

1. The actual directory for those files is /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.google.android.gm/Notifications/

2. I only see 12 sound files, and they're all for notifications. None of the preinstalled ringtones or alarm tones are in that directory, or otherwise available to the Files by Google app.

3. The many other sound files available in the stock soundpicker app (Sounds) are not accessible through Files by Google. When I look in the Sounds app, those 12 sound files that are available in the Files app are in the My Sounds category, as if they were custom sounds.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
@B. Diddy I found it's much easier to get into my files with a different app, see below.
0b8b477d15f88b1c44f988ad8be6c458.jpg

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
But in the Audio category there, can you access all of the other stock ringtones/notifications, or only the dozen or so I mentioned above?
Only a dozen or so. It's weird which ones you can access also. That being said, the op wanted to get their own ringtones set for contacts and that's pretty much all I knew how to do. I don't know if there's a way to get into all the ringtones that come stock.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Only a dozen or so. It's weird which ones you can access also. That being said, the op wanted to get their own ringtones set for contacts and that's pretty much all I knew how to do. I don't know if there's a way to get into all the ringtones that come stock.

Yep, I'm glad OP was able to get it done with your help!:)