How do you use your S-pen?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Very curious as to how others use their S-pen. I used to use it a lot for posting on Instagram for work. It came very handy. Now I use it for a different line of work I'm in to take down ID numbers and other things related to it that I can refer to quickly.

How do you use your S-Pen?

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I use it mostly for image cropping, where it really shines however is for signing documents, though I don't do that often the few times that I have it's invaluable

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I use it mostly for image cropping, where it really shines however is for signing documents, though I don't do that often the few times that I have it's invaluable

Agreed, I had to return an insurance document signed and was nowhere near a scanner/computer, invaluable if you need something done here and now

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Along with the uses mentioned above, I sometimes use it to set the insertion point when trying to edit text because I just can't get the cursor to go where I want it to be using my finger. Sometimes using a fingertip to position a cursor amongst tiny text is like performing brain surgery using a backhoe.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't any more - I no longer have a Note of any kind (but I went through the Note, the Note 2 and the Note 3 - I needed a large screen because I was developing cataracts).

When I was "Note-bound", I used the S-Pen for just about everything. I have wide fingertips and even with a large screen, typing with a finger meant a lot of errors. Even tapping an icon meant that I missed sometimes. I no longer have a Note, but I do have a stylus - I'm still more comfortable typing with a stylus than with a fat finger. I also use a stylus for all the above-mentioned reasons - editing pictures, signing (I have a signature app), etc.

jsigmo, you might find SwiftKey Keyboard handy - it has arrow keys, so just get into the area, then use the arrows to get exactly where you want. (It's also a nice keyboard for other reasons - and it's free, so try it.)

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Along with the uses mentioned above, I sometimes use it to set the insertion point when trying to edit text because I just can't get the cursor to go where I want it to be using my finger. Sometimes using a fingertip to position a cursor amongst tiny text is like performing brain surgery using a backhoe.

You might be interested to know that, if you use the stock keyboard, you can slide your finger around the keyboard to position the cursor.

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to try some of these suggestions. I've heard good things about Swiftkey and the cursor sliding trick may also prove very handy.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I use it for translating foreign text, scrolling, texting, animated GIFS and Live Messages, taking notes at meetings and trainings.

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I work in construction and we use OneDrive alot for our blueprints.

One of my favorite uses is I am able to draw on blueprints, or choose a small section and send it to others to use out in the field.

Everyone carries smartphones these days. We can't afford to get our paper copies dirty or have one for every worker. This way everyone has the info they need.

Or if I need to send someone out to find a specific part, I go into our master inventory list and circle the part, text it to the employee.

The note is an invaluable tool. At this point I can't see me ever using a phone that doesn't have these capabilities.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Mainly for signing and filling out docs on the fly. I Also use it for art. If you don't PEN UP, then get it out and PEN UP! Off screen memos at meetings are my favorite. My 11 year daughter says it is the best fidget tool out there. Above all spinners and cubes, she states the clicking is so high quality and satisfying lol! I wonder how many more million of those rapid fire clicks it can take ha ha ha.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I work in construction and we use OneDrive alot for our blueprints.

One of my favorite uses is I am able to draw on blueprints, or choose a small section and send it to others to use out in the field.

Everyone carries smartphones these days. We can't afford to get our paper copies dirty or have one for every worker. This way everyone has the info they need.

Or if I need to send someone out to find a specific part, I go into our master inventory list and circle the part, text it to the employee.

The note is an invaluable tool. At this point I can't see me ever using a phone that doesn't have these capabilities.

When I had a note this is the kind of stuff that it had the best use case for that I saw. unfortunately I never needed this functionality and I'm a very slow writer plus it was uncomfortable to write with for me so I never wanted to take notes with it. I can type faster when I need to which is what I do now. I'm also not a doodler or coloring person so it never had the appeal, it was just for the big screen at the time.

That said, I still find myself wanting a note, and again I can see a Note being an invaluable tool use cases like engineering drawings, plans, or signing documents on a regular basis for sure.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm really interested in getting a Note for a number of these reasons, am I better off getting a Note8 for less when the Note9 comes out, or does it look like the improvements for Note9 would be worth the wait/cost, and specifically thinking of potentially bigger battery. Asking here because y'all are obviously experienced Note users 😉

JSt76

Jun 18, 2018
Visit site
Very curious as to how others use their S-pen. I used to use it a lot for posting on Instagram for work. It came very handy. Now I use it for a different line of work I'm in to take down ID numbers and other things related to it that I can refer to quickly.

How do you use your S-Pen?

I'm not a doodler and I don't use any of the entertainment-oriented functions. I use it purely to be as paperless as possible. I should clarify that I have a Note 8, on which I usually just jot down notes, as well as a Galaxy Book, which I use extensively in work. I write down minutes in meetings, jot down ideas for projects, mark up maps, photos and other materials that I use in my job.

The great thing is that everything is saved automatically so I don't have to worry about losing my notes

I have used the S-Pen to extract text from images, and I love the fact that it can recognise a phone number or e-mail address from a handwritten note.

Marco Biagioli

Jun 18, 2018
Visit site

Hi guys😃❤ I personally don't use it.

I started using it when the phone was new but within the time I didn't feel the need to get the pen to write something that instead could have been read, edited and understood better by someone else if I had written it with the classic keyboard😊

What do you think?

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I use the S-pen quite a bit daily without even realizing. The translate feature is invaluable as I'm in a few groups with Latino members and some things are just better said in Spanish. I also use the smart select feature to quickly take a quick crop of a picture, to share something on my screen or to make a gif from a playing video. Screen write is also useful to highlight and share funny stuff with family and friends. I also use it to copy and paste text from sources which might not otherwise allow copying. I've used the magnification and the peek functions on occasion but not very much. I also used Note Buddy to change the extraction sound to that of a lightsaber so I feel totally bada** just pulling it out .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45