How many switched from iPhone

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I use both android and iPhone. I don't like the notch so I have an 8+ which serves my needs well. To be honest I hardly use the iPhone. I keep it mainly for my watch. I also prefer iPad to Android tablet. With Google messages for web I can use my ipad to text my android people and I can use messages to text my iPhone people. And signal for the rest. It works for me. I also use a Samsung and a Pixel for Android as both have their pleasures. I am a 3 phone person.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I use both android and iPhone. I don't like the notch so I have an 8+ which serves my needs well. To be honest I hardly use the iPhone. I keep it mainly for my watch. I also prefer iPad to Android tablet. With Google messages for web I can use my ipad to text my android people and I can use messages to text my iPhone people. And signal for the rest. It works for me. I also use a Samsung and a Pixel for Android as both have their pleasures. I am a 3 phone person.
That's what I'm talking about. Nice.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what is your experience like with Android Auto? My old vehicle (2017 F150) played better with Apple Car Play than AA. But, that has since been upgraded to a 2022 F-150.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
so I can go back to that old cliché "it just works".

But that of course just isn't so. The iPhone has many bugs just like Android. Yet Apple has complete control over the apps unlike Android. Problem is no one really reports it. Again unlike androids, where every bug gets pounced on and reported everywhere.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

This is a win-win-win strategy! I love it!

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I have both 13 Pro Max 256 GB and the S22 Ultra 256. Both have thier pros and cons but I must say nothing beats the 13 Pro Max battery life, it's no match compared to the S22 Ultra. But I'm using the S22 as my main phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have both 13 Pro Max 256 GB and the S22 Ultra 256. Both have thier pros and cons but I must say nothing beats the 13 Pro Max battery life, it's no match compared to the S22 Ultra. But I'm using the S22 as my main phone.

Battery performance on iPhones is stellar, I have to say.

Ray Adams

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Here is my story :)
I have been using iPhones and Android (and Windows Phone) in my life. Last 8 years, exclusively on iPhone. Have iPad , MacBook, Apple Watch. But a few days ago I decided to try Galaxy S22 plus + Watch 4. Have 2 week to decide if I am going to switch. Reasons I even though about it are these:

- iPhone is boring. Nothing happening for a while, no major features.
- Tired of being forced into a lot of Apple ecosystem items. Don't get me wrong, Apple eco system is very good (not perfect). I love that I can easily answer calls, write text messages on my MacBook. But it works only with Apple
- Also just wanted something fresh to work on since I am a little crazy on tech side.

3rd day with Galaxy. I like a lot from this phone especially real fast charging, reverse charging (try to charge you Apple Watch without charger). Some stuff have not changed since I last used Android (it was Nexus 4 in bright magenta color) and I mean stability and optimizations of applications. Even apps from big companies like Twitter and Facebook does not work as good as on iPhone. Not to mention they completely not optimized for my Galaxy Tab s8+! Hope this will change with 12L/13 Android release, but it is up to those companies, not Google or Samsung.

Absolutely love DeX! Now I do not need to take tablet with me to work since I can simply connect phone and use on big screen!
Ability to simply copy music where I want it to copy is the best! You have real file system, not simulated like on iPhone.
Notifications on Android are miles ahed of iOs! Always loved this on Android.

I did loose some of Apple features:
1. iMessage. Can be replaced with SMS/MMS but not as good as iMessage. I do have a lot of friends with iPhones,
2. Facetime! Yes, Android has Duo and you can install it on iPhone/iPad, but you cannot video call from contacts on iPhone, you have to go specifically into Duo(or it is possible?)
3. Quality of applications. Same comapany has completely different quality of their application on different platforms.
4. AirTags - Much better than anything else on a market, but I can switch back to Tiles, so not a huge deal.
Could be some other stuff , still working out.
5. AirDrop - Yes, Google and Samsung both have their own similar things, but I cannot just drop anything to macbook without third party apps. Same goes to Windows 10/11 which nearby share is not compatible with Google's one. But I've heard Microsoft is working on it. And actully for Windows you can just connect cable and take what you want easily. So I do miss AirDrop and I do not miss at the same time.

Some stuff I do not like about my S22 plus + Watch 4.
Battery life on Watch 4 is much worse than Apple Watch (AW), but since I always charge during night, I can easily manage whole day on watch.
Battery on phone is almost as on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, may be just a little worse.
Haptic feedback on Watch 4 not even close to AW
Synchronizations of pictures. There are Gallery and Google photos. First has some weird way to sync (through OneDrive - still unable to connect somehow), second does not always work fast. Still not a big deal since photos eventually will be synched.

So, what could force me to return Galaxy and go back to iPhone? Stability of Galaxy. Yesterday my phone shutdown for no reason. If I was not listening to music I couldn't knew it is off till I try to use it. Hope this is just one time bad thing.

Long story short. If someone deep into Apple's eco system , it could be hard switch. And that is why Apple is doing all this integrations - to keep users! It is good for company, but for users - you are forced to do things in a way Apple decided for you. Sometimes it might drive you crazy :) Not all people like to be forced, freedom of choice is very good idea :)

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Here is my story :)
I have been using iPhones and Android (and Windows Phone) in my life. Last 8 years, exclusively on iPhone. Have iPad , MacBook, Apple Watch. But a few days ago I decided to try Galaxy S22 plus + Watch 4. Have 2 week to decide if I am going to switch. Reasons I even though about it are these:

- iPhone is boring. Nothing happening for a while, no major features.
- Tired of being forced into a lot of Apple ecosystem items. Don't get me wrong, Apple eco system is very good (not perfect). I love that I can easily answer calls, write text messages on my MacBook. But it works only with Apple
- Also just wanted something fresh to work on since I am a little crazy on tech side.

3rd day with Galaxy. I like a lot from this phone especially real fast charging, reverse charging (try to charge you Apple Watch without charger). Some stuff have not changed since I last used Android (it was Nexus 4 in bright magenta color) and I mean stability and optimizations of applications. Even apps from big companies like Twitter and Facebook does not work as good as on iPhone. Not to mention they completely not optimized for my Galaxy Tab s8+! Hope this will change with 12L/13 Android release, but it is up to those companies, not Google or Samsung.

Absolutely love DeX! Now I do not need to take tablet with me to work since I can simply connect phone and use on big screen!
Ability to simply copy music where I want it to copy is the best! You have real file system, not simulated like on iPhone.
Notifications on Android are miles ahed of iOs! Always loved this on Android.

I did loose some of Apple features:
1. iMessage. Can be replaced with SMS/MMS but not as good as iMessage. I do have a lot of friends with iPhones,
2. Facetime! Yes, Android has Duo and you can install it on iPhone/iPad, but you cannot video call from contacts on iPhone, you have to go specifically into Duo(or it is possible?)
3. Quality of applications. Same comapany has completely different quality of their application on different platforms.
4. AirTags - Much better than anything else on a market, but I can switch back to Tiles, so not a huge deal.
Could be some other stuff , still working out.
5. AirDrop - Yes, Google and Samsung both have their own similar things, but I cannot just drop anything to macbook without third party apps. Same goes to Windows 10/11 which nearby share is not compatible with Google's one. But I've heard Microsoft is working on it. And actully for Windows you can just connect cable and take what you want easily. So I do miss AirDrop and I do not miss at the same time.

Some stuff I do not like about my S22 plus + Watch 4.
Battery life on Watch 4 is much worse than Apple Watch (AW), but since I always charge during night, I can easily manage whole day on watch.
Battery on phone is almost as on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, may be just a little worse.
Haptic feedback on Watch 4 not even close to AW
Synchronizations of pictures. There are Gallery and Google photos. First has some weird way to sync (through OneDrive - still unable to connect somehow), second does not always work fast. Still not a big deal since photos eventually will be synched.

So, what could force me to return Galaxy and go back to iPhone? Stability of Galaxy. Yesterday my phone shutdown for no reason. If I was not listening to music I couldn't knew it is off till I try to use it. Hope this is just one time bad thing.

Long story short. If someone deep into Apple's eco system , it could be hard switch. And that is why Apple is doing all this integrations - to keep users! It is good for company, but for users - you are forced to do things in a way Apple decided for you. Sometimes it might drive you crazy :) Not all people like to be forced, freedom of choice is very good idea :)
You can FaceTime on Android. It has to be initiate from an iPhone. There is an option to send a link, you open that link on your galaxy and it opens FaceTime via browser.

Check out KDE connect for file sharing as well. If you use Google messages you can download texty from Mac app store and it syncs you messages to you Mac and you can reply and all that jazz.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Prior to my S22 Ultra I had an iphone 13 pro max. Solid phone, but I missed android. I think the only thing I miss from that phone is the battery life. With that said, I feel like I'm in the minority in saying I'm good with either OS.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Prior to my S22 Ultra I had an iphone 13 pro max. Solid phone, but I missed android. I think the only thing I miss from that phone is the battery life. With that said, I feel like I'm in the minority in saying I'm good with either OS.

I firmly believe each OS has its own advantages and disadvantages. There are some users here who could use either seamlessly!

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I had a 12 pro before I went to the z flip 3. Just recently traded that in for the s22 in purple. The in hand feel is so similar to the 12 pro. Compact and powerful.

I miss the iPhone ecosystem on occasion but that's where it ends. I'm glad I made the leap

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I cam from the 13 pro due to the better screen. The 13 pro seemed dim all the time compared to the S 22.
I had the S 21 prior to the 13 pro but had too many issues with text messages and the screen was not that bright either.
I send high res photos and videos as links of the person want to keep them they just download them.
This is the reason Google want apple to accept RCS which won't affect iMessage at all.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Everyone I know, and I mean everyone. Has iPhones. So I just caved and got a 8 plus just to fit in. Will only use it occasionally for giggles though.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I used both platforms for years and finally got sick if it. Decided to settle on one and it was an easy decision. I always got frustrated with Apple, so, here I am.