How much luck has everyone had going naked?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Two factors go into my phone purchasing decision: specifications, and appearance. If I don't like how the phone looks and feels, it's on to the next phone for consideration. Once I've found the phone I want, I'm not going to hide its appearance within a case. That's me personally. I understand the reasoning for using a case, and If had a different job or lifestyle, I might not be so carefree about the matter. I also don't pocket carry, and think I would be more prone to dropping my phone extracting it from my pocket than removing it from a belt clip. Again, another personal preference.

I'm 54 years old, I've never used a case, and unless my professional or personal circumstances change, I'm not going to. I do use a tempered glass screen protector though, which saved my old Droid Turbo, and I definitely recommend those and enthusiastically endorse them.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I use a skin.. Including the sides so if I drop it, it's likely not to scratch. Also have a tempered glass screen protector and I have 3 back covers. I just love the feel of this phone and it's on the cusp of being uncomfortable to use with a case

Posted via the Android Central App

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Add bulk and cover the leather back? No thanks. I'll risk the $50.

I'm with you on that. That's what insurance is for. I've got 5 leather backs and a tempered glass protector that can be replaced for $7 so why turn your slim phone into a tank?

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Naked here. I refuse to fugly up my phones with a case. I have owned a dozen different phones in the last few years, and I haven't dropped one yet.

If I do, $50 gets me a new one.

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Naked here. I refuse to fugly up my phones with a case. I have owned a dozen different phones in the last few years, and I haven't dropped one yet.

If I do, $50 gets me a new one.

and how long does it take to get the replacement?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - Some posts have been cleaned. If you do not care for the topic you're encouraged to move along. If a post is out of line please use the report button to notify the Mod Team.

Thanks.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention that he probably has to pay a monthly fee of some sort to have the "new phone for $50" plan.
Nope. I paid a one time fee of $95 for the 2yr Costco Protection Plan.

It's worth it, just ask my wife. She dropped her iPhone 5 in the toilet last month, and the DIDN'T have warranty. They quoted her an idiotic amount of money to replace it. Thankfully she is up for renewal now, so she ordered a 6s.

Costco is awesome. The G4 was $199cdn on a two year when I got it a few months ago, but you got $100 Costco gift card WITH it.....which I used towards the $199. You also get 50 Long distance minutes free a month with your plan at Costco.

STiK

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Haven't bought a case or screen protector for this thing. Still like the first day I got it other than wear on the leather.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
So it costs more like $145 then. Costco is on point but I'm over buying phones under contract.

I'm using the service anyways, so I might as well get it cheap on contract. It's not like paying retail has any advantage, other than a SLIGHTLY cheaper monthly price on my plan. If I decide to ditch my carrier at some point, I pay the remainder of the phone off and walk away.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
The only advantage as far as buying retail here is if you have an iPhone. They come factory unlocked when you buy outright. As you probably know, they can't be unlocked once they are locked to a carrier.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only advantage as far as buying retail here is if you have an iPhone. They come factory unlocked when you buy outright. As you probably know, they can't be unlocked once they are locked to a carrier.

For iPhones? That is definitely not true. My buddy bought his through AT&T then later wanted to go to T-Mobile. Since he had good standing with AT&T they unlocked his iPhones and he left. He is now enjoying it on T-Mobile without an issue.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
For iPhones? That is definitely not true. My buddy bought his through AT&T then later wanted to go to T-Mobile. Since he had good standing with AT&T they unlocked his iPhones and he left. He is now enjoying it on T-Mobile without an issue.

I stand corrected then. They never used to. :)

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
It was free for him. Also the same goes for Android. I haven't heard of someone going to LG or Samsung to unlock a carrier-locked phone.

As far as I knew, they wouldn't unlock iPhone. But I guess I was wrong. I guess it depends on the carrier and country also. :)

Android is easy, because it's just a code. With iPhone, it's locked/unlocked on Apple's end.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Where's "here"? I save a ton with the T-Mobile plan I'm on when I buy my phone outright. Paying roughly $1,200 over a two year period ($50/month including price of phone) instead of the $2,360 ($98.33/month including price of phone) over the same period if I was under contract.

....and yeah, as someone else said, a once carrier tied iPhone can definitely be unlocked (and for no charge).

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
First phone I've gotten a case for. The black plastic (diamond pattern) back is too slippery, and the corners look fragile.

I've got the slimmest Spigen I could find, which adds a little protection, along with better traction on the back. Makes the phone bulkier and more annoying to slip in/out of pockets though.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Where's "here"? I save a ton with the T-Mobile plan I'm on when I buy my phone outright. Paying roughly $1,200 over a two year period ($50/month including price of phone) instead of the $2,360 ($98.33/month including price of phone) over the same period if I was under contract.

....and yeah, as someone else said, a once carrier tied iPhone can definitely be unlocked (and for no charge).

Here being Canada. We save $20 a month on any plan if we bring our own phone (or buy it outright). So take the G4 as an example. $199 on contract (i won't minus the $100 Costco card I got). $20 more a month for 24 months = $480 + $199.99= the same as me buying it retail here.

I guess it's different in the USA. Here you only save $20 a month if you have your own phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware