Wireless vs cable

• Total voters

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Got the pixel stand for rapid charger.
Got a Samsung fast charging pad.
And a Samsung slow charging pad
And the plug in charging pas from Samsung for the S8+ with a 6' cord.
In use all of them.
Really like wireless charging when I'm not on the phone.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Don't really need the fast charging since I just charge it overnight. Do people really need to have it fast charge? Are you guys leaving home with it not fully charged and thus need to have it charged during the day?

Curious about other's charging habits.

Thanks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't really need the fast charging since I just charge it overnight. Do people really need to have it fast charge? Are you guys leaving home with it not fully charged and thus need to have it charged during the day?

Thanks.

I have a charger at home, work, and in the truck. I don't really charge to full every day at home since I use CarPlay (or Android Auto) when in the truck so my phone is really never "dead" or anything.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

Kate and I aren't typical. We both work from our offices in our home. We both have Pixel 3 XL 128's and we both use Pixel Stands beside our Windows 10 Pro computers. Phones sit on the Pixel Stands throughout the workday. We take them off their stands to go out for lunch and they go back on the stands when we return.

At the end of the work day my Pixel goes in my pocket and hers goes in her purse. We usually go out for the evening to dinner, etc. When I go to bed my Pixel is beside my pillow. I'm a light sleeper and I'm often using my Pixel to read using Kindle for Android and to review my market charts. Our Pixels go back on their Pixel Stands when we start work the next day.

Last edited:

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

I generally start my days ~5:30 am. I don't charge my phone at work because I move around the building a lot. Most times I will charge on the way home, but if I don't, or I am working close to the house, I may need fast charge to top off if I am heading out for the evening.

I don't need fast charge a lot, but when I do, I am glad I have it.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Kate and I aren't typical. We both work from our offices in our home. We both have Pixel 3 XL 128's and we both use Pixel Stands beside our Windows 10 Pro computers. Phones sit on the Pixel Stands throughout the workday. We take them off their stands to go out for lunch and they go back on the stands when we return.

At the end of the work day my Pixel goes in my pocket and hers goes in her purse. We usually go out for the evening to dinner, etc. When I go to bed my Pixel is beside my pillow. I'm a light sleeper and I'm often using my Pixel to read using Kindle for Android and to review my market charts. Our Pixels go back on the Pixel Stands when we start work the next day.

Sure do like the Pixel stand.
Lay yer phone on it and when you need to git up and go somewhere pick it up and stick it in your back pocket.

Enjoyed using it all the time.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Since I got the Pixel Stand when I got the phone, I haven't charged it with a wire cable at all. Charged it every day with the Pixel Stand.

Moving to glass back with wireless charging is one of the best decisions Google made with the Pixel 3. Very convenient.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

At the end of the work day my Pixel goes in my pocket and hers goes in her purse. We usually go out for the evening to dinner, etc. When I go to bed my Pixel is beside my pillow. I'm a light sleeper and I'm often using my Pixel to read using Kindle for Android and to review my market charts. Our Pixels go back on their Pixel Stands when we start work the next day.

Thanks for that. So you are not worried about battery degrading because it's constantly being charged? I mostly work at my desk in my office. I could put my phone on the wireless stand while at work, but I'm afraid that if I constantly keep charging it, the battery will degrade. I'd get more use from the Pixel stand during the day since I do like the Photo Frame feature. I could just use a non-pixel wireless stand on my bed stand during the night to charge it up.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong about the battery degrading if constantly being charged?

Coop61

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I put mine on the stand nightly and at work at lunch time I'll give it a boost . I have 2 stands one was free and bought the other one.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that. So you are not worried about battery degrading because it's constantly being charged? I mostly work at my desk in my office. I could put my phone on the wireless stand while at work, but I'm afraid that if I constantly keep charging it, the battery will degrade. I'd get more use from the Pixel stand during the day since I do like the Photo Frame feature. I could just use a non-pixel wireless stand on my bed stand during the night to charge it up.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong about the battery degrading if constantly being charged?

The battery on our Pixel 3 XL's seems to get warmer when charging twice as fast with the wired charger, so I'm not really concerned about battery degradation. Cell phones today are designed to be disposable anyway. If a battery wears out in the future, I'll simply buy another Pixel. More than likely we will be upgrading before any battery degradation anyway.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Good Heavens, man ... I sincerely hope so! Wireless is cool and all, but nowhere close to the convenience of a cable. I travel a lot and if all I had was wireless, that would drive me nuts!

Haha...I'm saying down the road 4 or 5 years you still have time.

Uzian

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
For my Pixel 3 I charge it up wired either at home in the morning while getting ready for work or when I get to work and it is usually fine until I wake up the next morning (~30% battery life left). The only exception is if I am going to drive a lot and use navigation, for that I have a wired cord to plug into my phone to top off in the car.

I have thought about getting a pixel stand for work but does anyone know if the notification issue it caused has been fixed?

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have thought about getting a pixel stand for work but does anyone know if the notification issue it caused has been fixed?

Yes, fixed with the December update. My stand was doing nothing but collecting dust because of that issue. It's great to be able to actually use it again and not have to reboot my phone every time I take it off the stand.