[HOW-TO] Bluetooth Tether from Android phone to XOOM (NO root or app required)

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I paired the devices and connected them. Everything works great...for about two minutes. Then nothing. I did reboot both devices to be sure and I get the same behavior. What I did notice was that the 3G connection on my DX keeps resetting itself. The 3G icon on the status bar will disappear and reappear over and over again. If I leave it connected it will slowly pull email in and update twitter but it is totally unusable for internet access, youtube, etc.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Same here. I made a new thread on it before I saw this post.

Are you rooted or ROM?

This has made Bluetooth tethering impossible for me. Have you found a solution?

chrisharmful

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to do this with my Nexus S. Seems kinda pointless at the moment because I enjoy tethering and wifi hotspot for free, but hearing about the AT&T/T-mobile merger, I would to be able to do this as well. If any other Nexus S users get it working, please let us know.

mact

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
<<I am able to pair my Droid X with the Xoom but they will not stay connected they connect just for a second then it goes back to paired but not connected->>

The Droid X can generate a wifi hotspot. Why not do this instead of tethering?

BTW, the bluetooth tether technique does not work with the original Droid.

scramer

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I followed the directions for pairing my Evo with the Xoom. They are able to pair with each other but not to get a connection. It says "paired but not connected."

I've rebooted the Evo and Xoom and tried it again and that didn't work. So next I turned off wifi on the Xoom (do not have Verizon 3G contract). It still doesn't connect.

After doing all of this, the only options in Bluetooth Settings on the Xoom are "Rename device" and "unpair." I've also tried putting the Xoom in airplane mode first and then trying to connect and it's still not working.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with having PDANet installed on the Evo and debugging mode turned on.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions how to get the Xoom connected to the Internet using my Evo I'd sure appreciate the advice.

Exact same for me. Rooted EVO and unrooted wifi only xoom. I cannot tether nor can I just get them to connect via bluetooth. Yes I clicked on pair and nothing happens. This is extremely frustrating because phone tether was one of the reasons I bought wifi only xoom.

Fasblac

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am not the dullest either. I have read most all of the posts, and I know it was stated this was mainly for the wifi version which I have, but I don't have the setting for bluetooth tethering when I click on the wrench or anywhere for that matter. All I get on the Xoom is the option to change my phone's name or to unpair the Xoom from my phone. I don't recall seeing anyone else saying that this is what they have too. I have Samsung Fascinate is this a no go function between these two devices, or am I just over looking something?

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am not the dullest either. I have read most all of the posts, and I know it was stated this was mainly for the wifi version which I have, but I don't have the setting for bluetooth tethering when I click on the wrench or anywhere for that matter. All I get on the Xoom is the option to change my phone's name or to unpair the Xoom from my phone. I don't recall seeing anyone else saying that this is what they have too. I have Samsung Fascinate is this a no go function between these two devices, or am I just over looking something?

yup. exactly my thoughts. So, I'm. not sure what are some of these guys are talking about. There's no option to tether under the wrench icon, just like you've stated.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My 3g shutting off fixed itself when going to Gingerbread leak on DroidX. So my problem was a ROM problem I'm thinking. The speeds are much better too, but with the stock unrooted 3g hotspot app working for some reason its hard to decide which is better to tether with.

Its looking like extended use kills the battery slightly worse with 3ghotspot. Ease of connection is about as easy for both methods.

Options are nice!

Here are pics of bt tethering
2011-03-30_16-59-09_202.jpg

2011-03-30_16-59-23_135.jpg

2011-03-30_16-59-59_271.jpg

Last edited:

chrisstiffler

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Bluetooth tether wifi Xoom

I got the Xoom to tether to my Xoom, I actually had to pair the atrix to the Xoom under the Wifi Tether for Root Users App. When you activate the tethering the phone becomes discoverable so the Xoom can pair to it. The under the wrench, tethering its a option on Xoom. I am getting better speeds as well.

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the Xoom to tether to my Xoom, I actually had to pair the atrix to the Xoom under the Wifi Tether for Root Users App. When you activate the tethering the phone becomes discoverable so the Xoom can pair to it. The under the wrench, tethering its a option on Xoom. I am getting better speeds as well.

Yo dawg, I heard you like to tether your Xoom to your Xoom so I put a Xoom tether in your Xoom. :)

scramer

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It is just not working with a wifi xoom and htc evo. I can get wireless tether to work via wifi but not bluetooth (can't even get them to just connect via bluetooth, never mind tethering). And if wifi is available, I don't need my phone to tether to it.....

I'm getting extremely frustrated. If I can't get this to work I may return the xoom.

thesappy1

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This works on OG droid. The problem most people have been having is some ROMs or Kernals don't support the bluetooth tether. I've had no luck with any of Pete's GPA ROMS. CM7 works, I have had the tether working on nightly 32 and RC4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582