[HOW-TO] Download/Install Honeycomb to Nook Color (SD card)

jonapga

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I got honeycomb running no problem, when I try to overclock it and replaceing that uimage file it messes it up, it does not get past the ANDROID _ screen and I have tried several times. I also left it running for well over an hour while I went out to dinner. Anyone have any suggestions? tried the full method 3 times already

SuperDuper931

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I am currently running on a rooted Nook Color, Android 2.1. I was considering OC'ing my Nook and updating to froyo. But, seeing as 3.0 is out, I intend to wait for an auto-neuter version of Honycomb that is more functional. My only questions are: when is one to expect an auto-neuter version with more functionality, will it include sound, will it include the market, and finally, does anyone know how and if a 950 mhz OC could be incorporated into said auto-neuter?

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
In order to use ADB you have to be rooted right? Sorry if this seems nub.

In other words - you need to root to install google frame work and the vendor.apk

Last edited:

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
In order to use ADB you have to be rooted right? Sorry if this seems nub.

In other words - you need to root to install google frame work and the vendor.apk

No, you don't. In fact, this Honeycomb image isn't even rooted yet. What's going on in your Nook's internal memory should have no effect on this.

corta

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
now that sd card is working do you suggest an easy method for partioning on a mac and how large of a partition for honeycomb to fit comfortable

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
FINALLY got ADB to connect, but man, was that a BEAR! WAY easier to use wireless ADB on the rooted side, sheesh! But now I'm up and running and good to go. This build is a lot of fun to play around with, but I agree with previous statements that this is not really a "daily driver" yet. At the same time, it's a LOT of fun to be able to say "Oh, Froyo? Yeah, that's cool I guess... I've got HONEYCOMB!!!" :D

ok keep getting wifi errors, pc doesnt recognize nook, no book shelve? yeah its honeycomb but whats the point?

It's still a build in development, there's bound to be hiccups... took me a bit to get things squared away, ADB is well known to be a pain in the butt to get set up for the Nook, so that's pretty normal too. As far as your book shelf, ANY ROM that you put on here is going to kill that, whether it's Nookie or Gingerbread or Honeycomb or whatever gets cooked up. The book shelf is a function added by B&N as their primary use for the device, but you're going to find out that the folks involved in the modding community are looking at it as more of a tablet than an e-reader, so you'd have to add the B&N Nook App if you wanted to go that way. If the book shelf is your primary concern, your best bet is to either a) stick with the stock software, b) find someone to pull the code from the stock and cook it into a ROM, or c) start studying to cook your own custom ROMs :) The point is that this Honeycomb build is the next step to making this the most affordable, up to date Android tablet on the market, not just another e-reader :)

sgrif08

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe this was answered in a previous question but I am fairly new to Nook and Android so please excuse my lack of understanding. I guess what I am hearing is that you can have a non-jail break (broke) Nook color and still be able to run Honeycomb off of an SD card? My wife has the Nook and I want the Honeycomb, she will not let me entertain the thought of jailbreaking it because she actually likes it for exactly what it is. If I can pop an SD card in and use it as another device and take the card out when she wants her B&N fix.... that would be a wonderous thing.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
A couple of newbie questions. I'm currently running an auto-nooted Froyo:

1. Is this version of Honeycomb fully usable, or is it still pretty much a demonstration version?

2. How well does it work if you don't overclock?

3. Will the process reformat my current SD card, or can I keep my current files on the card?

4. If I take the card out, will my prior rooting still hold, or will there be ill effects?

5. Can you install apps using Astro, or is installing the Market via ADB the only method? I've never used ADB before and I'm hoping to avoid it. :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
This is great!! I was thinking of getting a Nook and rooting it so I can download apps but was a little put off by having to root since I've never done it on the Nook before (even though I have a rooted EVO). Now that this method is out without having to root, I'm definitely gonna get it!

MarkDiesel#AC

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you're hitting the right device. I'm using a MacBook Pro, so with the one internal device sitting at /dev/disk0, my SD card was sitting at /dev/disk1.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I believe this was answered in a previous question but I am fairly new to Nook and Android so please excuse my lack of understanding. I guess what I am hearing is that you can have a non-jail break (broke) Nook color and still be able to run Honeycomb off of an SD card? My wife has the Nook and I want the Honeycomb, she will not let me entertain the thought of jailbreaking it because she actually likes it for exactly what it is. If I can pop an SD card in and use it as another device and take the card out when she wants her B&N fix.... that would be a wonderous thing.

The term is "root" and you don't have to root your Nook to use this Honeycomb build.

MarkDiesel#AC

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Works great, but no ADB

THANK YOU! This is working great! However, I simply cannot get my nook to show its face to ADB, so I can't get any apps loaded. Any ideas as to what could cause the nook to not advertise itself as available to ADB? I've restarted several times.

Update: Sorry, just had to "activate" ADB for the device:
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

Last edited:

funnyrocket

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me out on mac install of this? I follow the directions and all i get is this.
dd: nookhoney02.img: No such file or directory

Where should the file be placed? I have it extracted to the desktop. Do I need another piece of software? I have no clue whats going on..

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me out on mac install of this? I follow the directions and all i get is this.

Where should the file be placed? I have it extracted to the desktop. Do I need another piece of software? I have no clue whats going on..

Run DD from the folder where you have the img file. So navigate to your desktop in the terminal window, then run the commands.

cr33p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Did you download the WinImage program and follow the instructions to chose "disk" restore virtual hard disk image to hard drive? Also be sure to run as administrator.