[HOW-TO] Download/Install Honeycomb to Nook Color (SD card)

monkeydeus

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
adb is simply the connector to the android device. so the adb commands do things like push files to the device or reboot it. So the commands you are running are under the context of adb.
Thanks for the clarification. Not to sound lazy, because I've read this entire thread several times now, but, do I need to install the sdk to get adb, or ? I've seen the posts that say "look at how to root the nook", but I'm primarily interested just in getting h.c. on the chip as a standalone thing, so only briefly looked at the rooting info thread and am not up on adb.

jon1371usmc

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain to me how to perform this operation, especially what is highlighted in red. Thanks.

"Installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb:

1. Download this version of the Market (2.2.11).

2. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk.

3. Place the files in your adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)

4. Open a command prompt in that folder, and issue the following commands:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system

adb push Vending.apk system/app/Vending.apk

adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

chmod 6755 GoogleServicesFramework.apk

exit

adb reboot

Then go to apps, open the market, sign in. If the Market won't open at first, reboot and try again."

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. Not to sound lazy, because I've read this entire thread several times now, but, do I need to install the sdk to get adb, or ? I've seen the posts that say "look at how to root the nook", but I'm primarily interested just in getting h.c. on the chip as a standalone thing, so only briefly looked at the rooting info thread and am not up on adb.

I have the SDK installed, but you can get the adb app from the Samsung Fascinate "How to Root" thread as a standalone. I don't want to post them here since I wasn't the one that originally put it together. Extract the zip, and grab the adb files and you should be cool.

edgariraheta

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting the following error message when I burn the image using WInImage Error in Writing Disk2, Error 27: The Drive cannot find the sector requested. Any ideas?

cr33p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain to me how to perform this operation, especially what is highlighted in red. Thanks.

3. Place the files in your adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

exit

adb reboot

Then go to apps, open the market, sign in. If the Market won't open at first, reboot and try again."

You need to run those commands from within your android sdk tool folder. on my machine the path is c:\program files\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

Make sure you have installed the SDK tools . Then place those files in the same platform-tools dir and you should be able to run the push commands. :) good luck.

cr33p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
WinImage keeps saying "Error reading file ....."
I am not very familiar with WinImage and it doesn't feel very intuitive (to me anyway).

What am I doing wrong?

ideas?

Thank you!

I was having issues with winimage as well, I rebooted and all went well.

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

exit

adb reboot

start-run then "cmd"

ebarr727

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've tried every which way to get the Honeycomb flashed onto my NC. No dice. I used WinRAR, WinImage, etc. Everything that was suggested. I was never able to get any image flashed. At the end it always ran out of space. I have a 8GB SDcard Class4. I've spent hours trying. Obviously I am doing somthing wrong, but I have no idea what.

JuneBeatle80

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this works AWESOME!!!! Just a couple of questions though:

1 - What is the "red" rectangle that lights up around the edges sometimes when touching. Is this a part of "Honeycomb?"
2 - Flash Player 10.1 is not available in the market; does this not support flash? Maybe Adobe doesn't have a honeycomb flash file yet?
3 - I've installed several apps that work very well, but for some reason I am getting an "error -18" when I try downloading Angry Birds. Anyone else getting this?

Thanks and my kudos to this programmer, he is seriously TOP NOTCH!

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this works AWESOME!!!! Just a couple of questions though:

1 - What is the "red" rectangle that lights up around the edges sometimes when touching. Is this a part of "Honeycomb?"
2 - Flash Player 10.1 is not available in the market; does this not support flash? Maybe Adobe doesn't have a honeycomb flash file yet?
3 - I've installed several apps that work very well, but for some reason I am getting an "error -18" when I try downloading Angry Birds. Anyone else getting this?

Thanks and my kudos to this programmer, he is seriously TOP NOTCH!

1. garbage collection

vpw100

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
We need more info...where are you stuck? What errors do you get? Windows? Mac? ADB working? Are you stuck at the image creation? Installing Google Apps?
I am running windows 7 x64. i can't get the adb to identify the nook. I have the adb interface driver installed and showing up in my device manager. how can i detect the device? i have followed step-by-step the instructions at nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB, but i can't get the nook to show up under a recognized device. can anyone help. thanks.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am running windows 7 x64. i can't get the adb to identify the nook. I have the adb interface driver installed and showing up in my device manager. how can i detect the device? i have followed step-by-step the instructions at nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB, but i can't get the nook to show up under a recognized device. can anyone help. thanks.

I have went to another computer that never had adb on it, set it up fresh, and still no dice. Simply can not get the honeycombed nook to show up in adb.

EDIT- I found an usb driver installer on xda nook forum, and finally got this thing hooked up. It worked like a charm.

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
1. garbage collection

Actually, I was kind of curious about the occasional red border around the entire screen as well... is that a feature of some sort, or a glitch, or possibly just a bad line of code created while zipping, unzipping and pushing all these various files?

jon1371usmc

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
When I use WinImage, Disk, Restore Virtual image to physical drive, there is no option to change to "all files", there isnt any files listed at all. The only box to check states "Include non removable hard disk(s). Also, which version of WinImage are you using? I downloaded version 8.5.

3A. PC Users:

- The usual program for this, Win32DiskImager, isn't working with this large file. So download WinImage, and under 'Disk' choose "Restore Virtual Image to Physical Drive." Change the files shown at the bottom to "all files" and select the file.

jay0911

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Im having issues with applying the overclocking kernel. I so the adb instructions successfully but when I put the sd in the reader the sd doesnt open. but it boots into honeycomb fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirenbd49