How to erase file .nomedia

his android

Dec 9, 2020
Visit site
In android 10, on SD card in the folder: android/data/ there is a greyed out file .nomedia that prevents the gallery from looking at this folder and sub folders. How do I get rid of it? I tried renaming it but it spawned a copy of itself and it won't delete. I have a camera app that stores its media in a sub folder and it would be nice not to be forced to use a file manager to find my pictures and video. Thank you for your time and help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It might be because that directory is protected by the system. Which camera app is this?

his android

Dec 9, 2020
Visit site
The camera app is mcpro24fps.

I did not create these folders. They must have been created by android when I added the SD card to the phone? I imagine that if gallery was able to search these folders, that I'd see a ton of icons and in app pictures in the gallery view. I'm guessing this is why they put that block there. I'm also asking the app developer if they (or I) can move the media folder elsewhere, but it is not currently an option in the camera app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It really seems to me that the directory is system-protected, which is why you can't delete that .nomedia file. That camera app is saving its photos to that directory? That seems wrong -- a good camera developer should know to have the app save to a user-accessible directory, usually a subfolder of /DCIM.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The camera app is violating the rules - DCIM is Digital Camera IMages - the default folder for all camera apps to store pictures and videos. Most give you the choice of changing that, some don't. But that should be the default. I'd wait for the developer to respond. (For $15 plus addons, you'd think the developer would know better. [It kind of makes me embarrassed to be of partial Latvian descent.])

his android

Dec 9, 2020
Visit site
To be fair to the developer, I think he is a mac/iphone person and I'm pretty sure this app was originally developed for iOS, hence the name mcpro. So he may not have known about the protected directory...as the media folder is a sub-directory of his app's folder in this android/data folder. But I agree that it's a strange place to put the media. He did say it's sandboxed. I'm familiar with that term with computers in general but not sure why the camera media needs sandboxing.

Also, he is developing the best android video camera available...well worth the $15 to record video in 10 bit color UHD at 500Mbps constant bitrate with no dropped frames...not even Open Camera has that option..and that app has every option or so I thought until this one came out.

Rukbat - if I'm catching your meaning properly from your bracketed comment, I really, very much don't believe that there is anything nefarious about it or shoddy or lazy. He has definitely put a huge amount of work into this app and I really think it's an oversight..or necessary for some reason we are not thinking of.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d