How to move apps to SD card on A21

dgelerin

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
As mentioned in another thread, I just upgraded from a J7 to an A21. I'm finding that there are some features that I was reassured existed, that don't.

The next one I found was the inability to move apps to the SD card. It seems that, in Android10, the secret is in this "Storage Booster" which apparently doesn't exist on the A21.

How does one move apps to the SD card on this phone? I'm going to chew right through the 32GB of memory, especially since it looks like over 10GB is taken up by system files!!!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Go into settings, go into apps. Select the app then go to Storage and see if there is a way to move it to the SD there.

To be fair - this is a feature that is being deprecated in many devices, and is not hugely beneficial. Apps run slower off of SD cards and moving apps to the SD card doesn't save you as much space on internal storage as you think as there still needs to be some of the app on the internal storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree, moving apps to SD isn't possible on more and more phones these days for the reasons that hallux mentioned. If you habitually install a lot of big apps, then you really need at least 64 GB of internal storage these days. At least you can save data files (like photos, videos, and music) to the SD card.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As mentioned in another thread, I just upgraded from a J7 to an A21. I'm finding that there are some features that I was reassured existed, that don't.

The next one I found was the inability to move apps to the SD card. It seems that, in Android10, the secret is in this "Storage Booster" which apparently doesn't exist on the A21.

How does one move apps to the SD card on this phone? I'm going to chew right through the 32GB of memory, especially since it looks like over 10GB is taken up by system files!!!
Some apps allow it but I really don't recommend it , but long press that app then tap info >scroll to storage and tap see if it gives that option, I would personally keep sd card for photos.Screenshot_20210418-164033_Settings.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Some apps allow it but I really don't recommend it , but long press that app then tap info >scroll to storage and tap see if it gives that option, I would personally keep sd card for photos.View attachment 333574

With that option, I assume it's just the app's data (or parts of it) that is being moved, and not any of the actual app components needed to run, right? I'm guessing those vital parts of the app need to remain on Internal Storage.

dgelerin

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
Some apps allow it but I really don't recommend it , but long press that app then tap info >scroll to storage and tap see if it gives that option, I would personally keep sd card for photos.View attachment 333574

Yea, I don't have that option on that screen. :(

I basically did it on my other phone since it was the only way to handle having a 16GB RAM phone. I can handle it here (32GB) a bit better, but especially since, somehow, the system files are taking up over 10GB, I figured I might need it eventually.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yea, I don't have that option on that screen. :(

I basically did it on my other phone since it was the only way to handle having a 16GB RAM phone. I can handle it here (32GB) a bit better, but especially since, somehow, the system files are taking up over 10GB, I figured I might need it eventually.
It's crazy that system takes up 10gb right off the bat but samsung has heavy skin on Android .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is there any way to see if I can trim any of that? My old phone used about 2GB for system stuff! 10GB seems like a bit of a jump.
That I'm not sure , you can try this 2 apps as they can delete bloat but it sure it would bring that number down

Package Disabler Pro , online

Alliance shield In play store

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards