How-To : Removing sprint bloatware (with root)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I hope to have a solid list of app's you can remove without impact, by the end of the weekend.!

Hey guys I've decided not to create a list of things you can remove because there are simply too many stipulations. An example is ....

Stock.apk & odex, if included in the original ROM, cannot be removed without causing your accounts & sync screen to force close, even if your not syncing stocks. BUT if the ROM dev removed stock from the ROM, and you do a full and complete wipe prior to flashing the ROM, that should be fine.

There are several little things like this which would make creating a list difficult at best AND almost impossible to follow as a user.

Here's the bottom line ......
1) IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, DON'T REMOVE IT.
2) ALWAYS MAKE A NAND BACKUP BEFORE REMOVING ANYTHING
3) Avoid removing stock, weather, news, and friendstream. The first 3 will cause your accounts and sync screen to FC. Removing freindstream, if using any of the FS social networking services like facebook, twitter, or flicker could get you stuck in a sync-loop and will kill your battery in short order.
4) The widgets for the apps listed in #3 above are fine, just leave the application apk's and odex's

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
New instructions are posted. All posts prior to this point may be referring to the old SDK method and may not be pertinent to the new method.
:)

Last edited:

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm using root explorer to mount it as r/w and uninstalling via going into system-->apps

Thanks!

How do we uninstall Peep? what files are associated with that? and also the sprint hotspot application? Thanks

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
How do we uninstall Peep? what files are associated with that? and also the sprint hotspot application? Thanks

Peep should be the following for the main app:
HtcTwitter.apk, HtcTwitter.odex

And while your at it:
com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk, com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex

I ditched the hotspot app long ago. If you don't plan on paying the $30 a month, you don't need it. If your wondering if WiFi Tether will work (the root app) after uninstalling sprint hotspot, yes, it works just fine :)

pegruder

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the RvU 1.3.2 ROM installed and my friend stream widget is missing. I believe its part of the stripped down rom. I tried adding it back from the evo stock apps zip - and its still not showing. Any ideas?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have the RvU 1.3.2 ROM installed and my friend stream widget is missing. I believe its part of the stripped down rom. I tried adding it back from the evo stock apps zip - and its still not showing. Any ideas?

After you add it back to system/app, click on the apk, it will ask you if you want to install.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Peep should be the following for the main app:
HtcTwitter.apk, HtcTwitter.odex

And while your at it:
com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk, com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex

I ditched the hotspot app long ago. If you don't plan on paying the $30 a month, you don't need it. If your wondering if WiFi Tether will work (the root app) after uninstalling sprint hotspot, yes, it works just fine :)

awesome thanks! so ill remove peep that way?

what are the apk and odex files for the hotspot? Thanks

edbtzy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for such a noob question but i followed the MAC instructions to root my phone. Can you please clarify what an RVU is and how to "flash" a ROM...i don't think i did any of that unless i did and i wasn't aware of it.

Again, sorry for being a noob, im just trying to grasp all this so i know im doing the right thing.

Also, im using root explorer to delete the apk's from my phone...i also have ROM manager installed but i haven't messed with that app because i wasnt sure what that is used for exactly.

EDIT: no superuser icon for me ... :\

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have Mac's but the tutorial seemed very intense and I chose the windows method. That said I really can't help you with any specific "MAC" questions but don't think it matters.

It sounds to me like you DO have RuV flashed or at least some form of a "rooted" ROM. I say this because in order to use root explorer you need to have ROOT permissions. If you are actively deleting apk's from the /system/apps directory than you DO have root permissions.

ROM manager is a great piece of work and you should set it up and test it out. It also needs "root" so I further suggest that you have successfully flashed RvU. Once set-up you will be able to boot into recovery without hooking up to your computer. Try it out.

Lastly, and to answer your question. RvU is a "ROM" that was compiled by the wonderful people here. Specifically Keith Newman & gbhil. They should be thanked over and over again. Once you have ROM manager set-up you will be able to back-up and flash either via ROM Manager or nandroid. This part is still a little unclear to me and I have posted a list of questions in the "windows" thread.

Good Luck!

edbtzy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that information...only thing I'm concerned about is that I'm not sure if I flashed a RVU ... if that's the case, do I need to repeat any steps or is it simple to jus flash a RVU thru ROM manager

EDIT : I tried booting into recovery via Rom manager and nothing happened which leaves me to believe I didn't successfully flash a RVU...I'm not sure what I can do at this point

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
If you can get Rom Manager installed and successfully boot into recovery I suggest you do the following:

Makes sure the RvU Rom is on your SD Card. Boot into recovery. Wipe the User Data "factory reset". Wipe the cache. Load file from Zip and select the RvU Rom.

I do not have this open in front of me so I am recalling the step "names" from memory. You will execute the various menu selections by using the volume keys as up/down and the power button as select. To go "back" in the menu lists you will highlight "go back" and hit the power button.

Bottom line....after doing this you should be good to go. Of course follow these steps at your own risk.

btw.....It is NOT "an" RVU.....RvU is simply the name of one particular ROM. Hope that helps.

Warning: the wipes I referenced WILL delete any user data or preferences you may have already set-up. You will be back to an OOB (Out of the Box) experiance.

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that information...only thing I'm concerned about is that I'm not sure if I flashed a RVU ... if that's the case, do I need to repeat any steps or is it simple to jus flash a RVU thru ROM manager

EDIT : I tried booting into recovery via Rom manager and nothing happened which leaves me to believe I didn't successfully flash a RVU...I'm not sure what I can do at this point

Regarding your "edit"... Do you have access to a windoz machine? I would try the steps in the windows tutorial from scratch. It worked on the first crack for me.

Other than that... maybe some of the more experianced users can chime in.

Sorry..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allirose