[How-To] Root LG Optimus S

Status
Not open for further replies.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
yeah, for some reason it doesn't like it if you launch the sdk from the command line and leave that command prompt open. worked the 4th time :)

i love it so far, much faster than my hero (even w/ the hero running at 698mhz)

now to figure out how to get a2sd support :)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
yeah, for some reason it doesn't like it if you launch the sdk from the command line and leave that command prompt open. worked the 4th time :)

i love it so far, much faster than my hero (even w/ the hero running at 698mhz)

Sweet, glad to hear you're rooted.

If this tutorial helps you root your phone please keep an eye on the thread and help others who may need assistance. I don't ask for financial donations but i do humbly accept people donating their time to help others :D

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Sweet, glad to hear you're rooted.

If this tutorial helps you root your phone please keep an eye on the thread and help others who may need assistance.

I don't ask for financial donations but i do humbly accept people donating their time to help others :D

I will do my best. I'm just sad that I lost one App I use all the time (paid even) and that I can't load Apps2SD or my battery tweak yet.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I will do my best. I'm just sad that I lost one App I use all the time (paid even) and that I can't load Apps2SD or my battery tweak yet.

You didn't lose it, the market hasn't been made live for the device yet. Check again tomorrow ;) Protected apps won't show up until then. I have a few missing as well but as soon as i wake up tomorrow BAM!!!! They'll be back.

Happens to all us folks that get an android device before launch date.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
You didn't lose it, the market hasn't been made live for the device yet. Check again tomorrow ;) Protected apps won't show up until then. I have a few missing as well but as soon as i wake up tomorrow BAM!!!! They'll be back.

Happens to all us folks that get an android device before launch date.

Then how do I have two of my protected apps already?

gizmosears

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I have tried this nearly 10 times and still can't seem to get it to work. When I start sdk manager do I have to update everything for this to work. That is only thing I might not be doing to get this to work. I can tell adb resets, it does it twice. It's probably something real easy that I'm not doing right, but could use the help.

Nevermind finally rooted. Now just having problems with getting su and busybox to work. I'll keep chugging along til I get it.

Last edited:

Gr8hifi

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It took me four times before I got the "#" instead of the "$". The thing I changed on the last time I did it was this: I opened a command prompt, navigated to my android SDK directory, opened the SDK from the command prompt, closed that command prompt, opened a new command prompt, then followed the steps as outlined in the how-to on page two of this thread. NO idea if my steps matter or not, but, the 3 times I tried prior did not result in a "$." Hope this helps.

Jason

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Technical difficulties with the forum have been rectified. 1st post updated with the instructions i had placed on page 2 previously

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
good stuff. i just want to post a thank you for this.

i don't want to hijack this informative thread so i will post my question in a new thread. it has nothing to do with how to root. thanks again.

foolforfood

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am having trouble rooting my phone, I am on a mac and dont have a sdk manager to launch. After step 4 I get the $ symbol instead of the root symbol. I'm not new to this, I've had my HTC hero rooted since day one, but I cant get this to work. Can anybody help me out?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I am having trouble rooting my phone, I am on a mac and dont have a sdk manager to launch. After step 4 I get the $ symbol instead of the root symbol. I'm not new to this, I've had my HTC hero rooted since day one, but I cant get this to work. Can anybody help me out?

Pretty sure LG's drivers are PC only. I wouldn't know though cause I don't own a Mac

foolforfood

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok I've tried it again with the newest version of the SDK and I'm now using a windows 7 64 box. I pushed the files, chmod them, and ran ./rageagainstthecage and it restarts the adb session and then when I adb shell in it still returns the $. Am I missing something?

karnqu

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the instructions! Worked great. Just a side note that might help others. I ran through the instructions a few times and kept getting '$' instead of '#'. After restarting my phone it worked and I got a '#'.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had any success on a mac. I rooted my hero with this same mac and had no problems, but with this phone i always get the $ after following th instructions

skylacan

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
It definitely can take multiple tries to get it to take. I tried about 5 times and it kept coming back with the $ symbol. I restarted the phone, first time it didn't work but then it finally came back with the # on the 2nd try. Thanks for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali