How to: Update your rooted V9/VC baseband Optimus S to VD w/out losing all your data.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe thundering 1.7 comes with an overclocked kernal, no need to flash one ...

No it doesn't. It's the completely stock kernel from the VC update. The Xionia kernels at the moment only work properly (ie - without taking up a ton of space needlessly) in zefie's own VCRom and nROM 1.5.1 (which comes with xionia 007 included.).

Reactions: Sparty73

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Great walkthrough! Worked exactly as describe for me. Just wondering if anyone recommends a different kernel than the stock one that comes with ThundeROM 1.7

Thanks!

For the time being, no. There's a bug that causes the xionia kernel to eat up a TON of internal storage. Wait till that's fixed (or use nROM 1.5.1 for now, which has 007 built in). As an example, with all my apps installed on a stock TR 1.7 install, I had 105MB free. After trying the xionia 007 (or 008) kernels, my free space was down to 4MB.

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
For the time being, no. There's a bug that causes the xionia kernel to eat up a TON of internal storage. Wait till that's fixed (or use nROM 1.5.1 for now, which has 007 built in). As an example, with all my apps installed on a stock TR 1.7 install, I had 105MB free. After trying the xionia 007 (or 008) kernels, my free space was down to 4MB.

Thanks for helping me understand. The kernel eating 101MB is crazy!

jimroeder

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick clarification! I will wait for an updated kernel and maybe try CM7 in the meantime. Thanks again!

DCJoe

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
This thread has been great to confirm that you can flash VC using the LG tool onto a rooted, custom recovery V9 Optimus S. You can then flash a VC-oriented ROM directly using the custom recovery because it is still in place. I think that is essentially confirmed.

But we still haven't figured out the LG Logo brick that is happening for some people running VC with a custom recovery (and maybe even the stock recovery, I am not sure). The thread linked below will hopefully serve as the single thread to discuss the bricking problem and possible solutions.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...icularly-after-vc-update-possible-fix-es.html

WHYDavid

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Trying this now...

Watching the android screen for a very long time during reboot after update. I'm pretty sure this is normal. At least the screen is moving and active. But I feel a little like the folks in Houston during Apollo 13s comm blackout...

Can anyone tell me approximately how long the first reboot (after the update) should take? I've been on the android screen for a long time now.

After about 40 minutes, I decided to try the adb reboot recovery and it took me to recovery, so I did the nadroid restore. Now rebooting...

WooHoo! It's booting up!

Wiped DC and Cache. Installing TR1.7. Looking good.

Everything appears to be working... No I'll try powering off and on to see if there are any problems with that.

Powered up great!

Thank you Robchaos!!!!

Last edited:

psaurus81

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a bit of an issue. My phone is connected to the computer and it says "usb debugging connected" on the main screen. When I try to type "adb reboot recovery", I get a message in Command Prompt that says "error: device not found". Any ideas?

EDIT Nevermind, I got it to work. Updating my phone now. Cross your fingers!

Last edited:

WHYDavid

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a bit of an issue. My phone is connected to the computer and it says "usb debugging connected" on the main screen. When I try to type "adb reboot recovery", I get a message in Command Prompt that says "error: device not found". Any ideas?

EDIT Nevermind, I got it to work. Updating my phone now. Cross your fingers!

Good Luck! :)

Reactions: psaurus81

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to get an opinion here Rob (or anyone). Is it possible to follow this procedure to go directly from V8 to VC if you have a custom recovery? Was just having a discussion with someone over on the ThunderRom 1.7 forum about it.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Theoretically the procedure should work. Most people are going from V9 radio/OS to VC radio/OS so that has been tested the most.

Last edited:

Treo_Robb

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to report in that this worked perfectly on my device. The only minor issue I had is right after I restored the nand backup and rebooted, it hung on the Sprint logo so I pulled the battery, rebooted into recovery and installed ThundeROM 1.7 - rebooted and everything was fine. All my apps, settings, etc. are still there and it's showing VC in my phone info! :) Very impressed and pleased at all the hard work that people have done to make these already awesome devices even better!

EDIT: A couple of things I've noticed -
1. Advanced task manager no longer seems to be working. I am using the free version and have even tried reinstalling it. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Even though I'm at VC in system info, I am now being nagged to update to version LS670ZVC? I will go ahead and install the stop nag fix, but it just seems strange to me... Wasn't the previous OTA updated labeled LS670MVC? I wonder what ZVC is??

Last edited:

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to report in that this worked perfectly on my device. The only minor issue I had is right after I restored the nand backup and rebooted, it hung on the Sprint logo so I pulled the battery, rebooted into recovery and installed ThundeROM 1.7 - rebooted and everything was fine. All my apps, settings, etc. are still there and it's showing VC in my phone info! :) Very impressed and pleased at all the hard work that people have done to make these already awesome devices even better!

EDIT: A couple of things I've noticed -
1. Advanced task manager no longer seems to be working. I am using the free version and have even tried reinstalling it. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Even though I'm at VC in system info, I am now being nagged to update to version LS670ZVC? I will go ahead and install the stop nag fix, but it just seems strange to me... Wasn't the previous OTA updated labeled LS670MVC? I wonder what ZVC is??

Not sure about the ZVC thing. But I would ditch the task manager. Really don't need it. Mine runs awesome without it and I have great battery life. I did a lot of reading on this issue a while back and uninstalled mine. Just my two cents.

Sent by Tapatalk ----- Optimus s

Treo_Robb

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about the ZVC thing. But I would ditch the task manager. Really don't need it. Mine runs awesome without it and I have great battery life. I did a lot of reading on this issue a while back and uninstalled mine. Just my two cents.

Sent by Tapatalk ----- Optimus s

Thanks for the feedback. After I installed the stop nag fix (posted HERE) and rebooted, the task manager started working again. Not sure what the dealio is with that? In phone info, it shows me at ThundeROM 1.6.2 again as well. Oh well, it's working (even though it's probably not needed lol).

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, just an update for everyone. Sprint has pulled the VC update, and while I have not had any of the brick problems or lg logo hanging, I have been experiencing instability and freezing about once a day using the VC update. This is not ROM specific this is a problem with Sprints update itself.

Treo_Robb

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, just an update for everyone. Sprint has pulled the VC update, and while I have not had any of the brick problems or lg logo hanging, I have been experiencing instability and freezing about once a day using the VC update. This is not ROM specific this is a problem with Sprints update itself.

I spoke with Sprint today and the rep informed me that they have not pulled the update as far as he knew. I'm not sure, but I think this may just be a rumor? I can also confirm that my girlfriend just received a notification to update on her phone today (which is what prompted me to contact Sprint - to see if she should update or not). She's not rooted btw and has had no issues with hers since the update this morning...

In regards to my phone, I haven't have any issues with it at all since using your update method last night. Hopefully it stays that way! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
addrom