How to: Update your rooted V9/VC baseband Optimus S to VD w/out losing all your data.

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you speak with one of the techs or just the main customer rep? Alot of times you'll hear different things depending on who you spoke with. I was the one who started the thread about Sprint pulling the OTA update and the tech I spoke with had a pretty lengthy discussion about it. But if your gf got the update notification, then who knows who to believe anymore. Until there's an official word from Sprint or a Sprint employee, it's all speculation.

But I still stand by my thread and think they're gonna pull the update if they haven't already lol :)

Edit: Ok maybe I spoke too soon. I just force flashed my replacement phone down to V9 and immediately got the OTA update message. Boy do I feel like an idiot

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Apparently it is correct. I checked my husband's stock phone and his sw version is zvc and baseband is mvc. Also, fwiw still no problems!!! :)
Not sure if the implication is MVC is a different (newer) version of the radio, but even the cab from 2 weeks back is MVC

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if the implication is MVC is a different (newer) version of the radio, but even the cab from 2 weeks back is MVC

I was surprised they were different. I thought they would either both be mvc or zvc. I checked my husband's phone just to see what stock shows and it is the same as mine, which is rooted, TR 1.7.

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
After reading all the posts in this thread i noticed that most of the people that got it to work right were one Thunder ROM 1.6 so i was wondering does the ROM you start with matter and is there a ROM that is best to start with with or did the people that couldn't get it to work just do something wrong.

Right now I'm on LEGO ROM and before i try this I'd like to know what ROM i should start with and what i should switch to or if it even matters. I'm just looking for the safest/easiest way to update to VC so i dont brick my phone.

Last edited:

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
After reading all the posts in this thread i noticed that most of the people that got it to work right were one Thunder ROM 1.6 so i was wondering does the ROM you start with matter and is there a ROM that is best to start with with or did the people that couldn't get it to work just do something wrong.

Right now I'm on LEGO ROM and before i try this I'd like to know what ROM i should start with and what i should switch to or if it even matters. I'm just looking for the safest/easiest way to update to VC so i dont brick my phone.

I believe Lego ROM is not compatible with VC, so you'll want to go to either nROM or ThundeROM. Since you are moving from a different ROM, you'll need to do a full data wipe to go to ThudeROM. I think you may be able to flash directly to nROM from Lego without wiping, though.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just went to use the LG Updater utility and it says that my phone is up to date, which it isn't. The LG Updater shows my version as ZV9...odd huh?
You have a refurb/replacement phone right? See the RED warning section in my signature.

jayej8

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
i needed to downgrade my phone to sw zv9 to root. if i connect to the lg updater, will it brick my phone if it updates back to zvc? what should i do? i just need to change the baseband from v9 to vc. will this be ok?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i needed to downgrade my phone to sw zv9 to root. if i connect to the lg updater, will it brick my phone if it updates back to zvc? what should i do? i just need to change the baseband from v9 to vc. will this be ok?
It should be fine.

Make sure you installed the stock v9 recovery (or zefie's CWMA recovery) before you update to ZVC. Actually if you use the LG Software Updater right now, you will be updated to ZVD. The only way to get ZVC is to force flash it using KP500.

jayej8

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I have thunderc 1.1 recovery. I just spent 2 days downgrading, rooting, and installing custom recovery. Im tired and just want a good rom. is there any rom that works for baseband mv9 and sw zv9?

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have thunderc 1.1 recovery. I just spent 2 days downgrading, rooting, and installing custom recovery. Im tired and just want a good rom. is there any rom that works for baseband mv9 and sw zv9?

For v9 right now your only option is nROM somebody might have a download link to an earlier versin of lego or thunder rom though

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
For v9 right now your only option is nROM somebody might have a download link to an earlier versin of lego or thunder rom though

All previous versions of ThundeROM can be found on the official distribution page HERE

Also, assuming someone is rooted and has a custom recovery, whether they have V9 or VC theres really no reason at all NOT to update.

1) Download and place a VC or VD ROM on the root of your SD card
2) Go into custom recovery and make a nand backup.
3) Boot back into android run LG updater tool.
4) Shut off phone after update
5) Go into recovery. While the phone is off press and hold volume down, home, power button.
6) Restore the backup you made in step 2
7) Flash the VC or VD based ROM you placed on SD card in step 1

Should be just that easy. These are the exact steps i followed to update from VC to VD sans step 1 & 7 because i was already running ThundeROM 1.7 which is VC and VD compatible. The update process is only to update the radio, everything else gets updated with custom ROMs.

Last edited:

pcubed

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

This thread has all the files for rooted phones compiled. Look at post #3 to see what radios are supported by which ROMs.

ultraviolet

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
All previous versions of ThundeROM can be found on the official distribution page HERE

Also, assuming someone is rooted and has a custom recovery, weather they have V9 or VC theres really no reason at all NOT to update.

1) Download and place a VC or VD ROM on the root of your SD card
2) Go into custom recovery and make a nand backup.
3) Boot back into android run LG updater tool.
4) Shut off phone after update
5) Go into recovery. While the phone is off press and hold volume down, home, power button.
6) Restore the backup you made in step 2
7) Flash the VC or VD based ROM you placed on SD card in step 1

Should be just that easy. These are the exact steps i followed to update from VC to VD sans step 1 & 7 because i was already running ThundeROM 1.7 which is VC and VD compatible. The update process is only to update the radio, everything else gets updated with custom
ROMs.

If I'm on V9 with TR1.6.2, do these same steps apply?

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Those steps apply to go to any new baseband from V9 and retain user installed apps. I am now confirming that the method I have posted works for VD as well as VC.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Those steps apply to go to any new baseband from V9 and retain user installed apps. I am now confirming that the method I have posted works for VD as well as VC.

It does. Same steps work for v9 to vc, vc to vd, and I'll let you know about v9 to vd but i suspect it's the exact same because the VC and VD package through the updater tool doesn't touch recovery. custom recovery is the key. If you have a custom recovery you can flash anything you want including ROMs which are already rooted which translates into rooting the phone. I'll let you know about v9 to vd just as soon as i hear back from someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teneika lee