How to: Update your rooted V9/VC baseband Optimus S to VD w/out losing all your data.

weenerdog3443

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
followed the directions to the t. when ever my phone restarts it gets stuck at the sprint screen. I can get into recovery but when I try to flash thunderom it gets it goingthen gives me error E:falure at line7: symlink toolbox system:bin/lsmod

Queueyou

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, updated from V9 to VD using this method and installed TR 1.8. Now, I'm not getting any 3G at all except briefly when it reboots, and attempts "online authentication". Looking at phone status, the baseband is V9 and the software says VD... Any suggestions? The LG Updater won't say I need an update, was just going to re-do all the steps to be sure...

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
your phone did not update through the LG updater tool properly. You should be able to force flash VD through KP500 follow the link on the first post of this thread to Sfhubs thread on force flashing, and read through that.

Last edited:

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
VD seems to be the newest update, but for some reason it is only available through LG right now, sprint still lists VC as current.

Queueyou

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
your phone did not update through the LG updater tool properly. You should be able to force flash VD through KP500 follow the link on the first post of this thread to Sfhubs thread on force flashing, and read through that.

Just to double check, your suggesting I just do the portion of his post that says how to 'force' VD to update, or I need to do all the steps including going to V9 and back to VD? Took me quite a while to have enough balls to go from V9 to VC/VD, sucks that it wasn't smooth lol. All help is greatly appreciated.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just to double check, your suggesting I just do the portion of his post that says how to 'force' VD to update, or I need to do all the steps including going to V9 and back to VD? Took me quite a while to have enough balls to go from V9 to VC/VD, sucks that it wasn't smooth lol. All help is greatly appreciated.
Just force flash VD. Use the info in the reference section.

Reactions: Queueyou

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, I just tried doing this via KP500 and after I do the nand restore and reboot, my phone says I'm still running VC....

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
OK, I just tried doing this via KP500 and after I do the nand restore and reboot, my phone says I'm still running VC....
The version strings are essentially hard-coded into the ROM you are running. They aren't dynamically read from the running radio.

If you force flashed a particular version and it was successful, you have that Android and Baseband version. If you NANDROID restore something, your Android portion will change to that backup's version, but the Baseband will remain what you flashed.

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm not entirely sure I'm following you, but basically its ok that it says my Baseband is ZVC and my SW version is ZVD?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm not entirely sure I'm following you, but basically its ok that it says my Baseband is ZVC and my SW version is ZVD?
Basically I'm saying the version strings can get confusing because in most cases they are tied to the ROM and not read from the phone dynamically so they may not give you an accurate picture of what is really installed.

ZVC-based ROMS work with ZVC/ZVD Radio.
ZVD-based ROMS work with ZVC/ZVD Radio.

If you are using one of those combinations, you are fine, regardless of what the versions say.

If you are using a different combination, you might have issues. ZVC/ZVD ROMs will have trouble with Hands Free Activation using ZV9 radio. There are some ROM versions which remove Hands Free Activation and the ROM works ok, but you won't be able to update PRL and update Profile.

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have used Z4root to gain permanent root, and then have flashed nandroid onto the phone via android terminal.

I am currently running v9 rooted but no custom rom, all I have done was removed sprint bloatware. I just want to make sure these are the steps I should use to upgrade to VD and if so can I continue to use the "Stock" rom i have rooted and not use a custom rom?

So basically can do the update then the nandroid backup and skip the rest? Or should i only update if i am going to a rom that requires VD? - Trying to figure out if i want the upate or not lol..

Sorry newbie...
Thanks.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running v9 rooted but no custom rom, all I have done was removed sprint bloatware. I just want to make sure these are the steps I should use to upgrade to VD and if so can I continue to use the "Stock" rom i have rooted and not use a custom rom?
VC/VD Android only works with VC/VD Radio.

It is probable V9 Android will have troubles with VC/VD Radio.

My suggestion is to upgrade to VD only if you want to runa VD-based ROM, whether that be stock ROM or custom ROM.

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This is a new phone that has never been activated it was rooted and used just on wifi but I want to start using it as my daily phone over my htc hero.

Will i have to update to get this to work on Sprint?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is a new phone that has never been activated it was rooted and used just on wifi but I want to start using it as my daily phone over my htc hero.

Will i have to update to get this to work on Sprint?
No you will not have to update ZV9 to ZVD to get it working on Sprint. ZV9 will work on Sprint.

What I was saying is *if* you do update to ZVD, be aware, the restore of your ZV9 Nandroid backup may have trouble with the ZVD radio. I don't know that for sure. I know ZVD Android has troubles with data if you use the ZV9 radio so just warning you of the other way around.

If you want ZVD, just run the LG Mobile Updater tool and let it update your Android system to ZVD (it'll preserve your /data). Don't do the Nandroid restore of your ZV9 backup as that will put ZV9 Android back on the phone, but you'll then have ZVD radio from the LG Mobile Updater tool upgrade. This combination might give you troubles.

The instructions here say do a Nandroid restore of your backup to restore the /data. You do also get the previous Android version, but the instructions are geared towards custom ROMs, so it doesn't matter, as it will get overwritten when you install a custom ROM (ZVD-based). In your case, you aren't installing a custom ROM, so if you just just did the Nandroid restore and stopped there, you'd have mixed versions Android ZV9 and Radio ZVD.

Reactions: sheit

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I will continue on with the V9 until I have any reason to move over. Great write-up and steps seem pretty straightforward if needed in the future..

Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick