HTC is crumbling from within

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC's issue seems so obvious to me...too many darn phones! The Hero, Rezound, Sensation, Rhyme, Desire, Vivid, DNA...my God, the list goes on and on. And with every variation requires a support team in the background....more overhead! Hey HTC, how about following the lead of some rather successful companies - If the One is your flagship phone (and an outstanding phone it is) - discontinue all the other models and focus all your attention on the evolution of the One. Period!

HTC set to continue 'Desire' line of entry-level handsets | Android Central

I will say this though. Samsung poured tons of marketing into their Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lines. The S and Note are halo brands for them. That doesn't stop them from making phones like Galaxy Appeal, Rugby II, Admire, Galaxy S Lightray, not to mention the mini variants.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
HTC's issue seems so obvious to me...too many darn phones! The Hero, Rezound, Sensation, Rhyme, Desire, Vivid, DNA...my God, the list goes on and on. And with every variation requires a support team in the background....more overhead! Hey HTC, how about following the lead of some rather successful companies - If the One is your flagship phone (and an outstanding phone it is) - discontinue all the other models and focus all your attention on the evolution of the One. Period!

Actually having options is not an issue. Even Apple has 3 phones out at any given time. Right now it is the 4/4s/5. The problem is branding and marketing.

I thought name HTC One is stupid because they have used that name in different forms. Even in google if you search for the HTC One, you can still get results for the One X, One S etc.

All they need to do is set 2-3 tier brands and follow that path.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
HTC in disarray: staff departures, 'disastrous' First, and production problems cloud company's future | The Verge

And this is exactly why I didn't buy a One. You aren't buying just a phone, you're buying the premise that HTC can continue to maintain it for two years, and that HTC will even last two more years. Yikes.
They refused to listen to their customers. This is what happens. Sorry HTC, but you should have seen this coming.

I will miss the Rezound though. Awesome phone.

Easy fix for HTC...release a "Google Edition" One! :-D
That is certainly a step in the right direction. Sense is half their problem.

They will never ever do that though. It would be admitting that no one wants Sense.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
They refused to listen to their customers. This is what happens. Sorry HTC, but you should have seen this coming.

They will never ever do that though. It would be admitting that no one wants Sense.

Because the .001% of people, including yourself, who root their phones don't like Sense, "no one" wants it? Do you see where that comes as a tad arrogant? I have no problem with the manufacturer putting whatever they want on their phone. If I don't want it, I don't buy it. For a phone-user to claim he knows how to run a multi-billion dollar international corporation better than the people who are running it (with degrees in finance, business admin, etc.) is laughable.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Because the .001% of people, including yourself, who root their phones don't like Sense, "no one" wants it? Do you see where that comes as a tad arrogant? I have no problem with the manufacturer putting whatever they want on their phone. If I don't want it, I don't buy it. For a phone-user to claim he knows how to run a multi-billion dollar international corporation better than the people who are running it (with degrees in finance, business admin, etc.) is laughable.

So many CEOs here. lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Stock Android will not solve half of HTC's troubles.

But the Play Store will be selling an S4 with stock Android soon. Never say never.

Still, that doesn't mean that Samsung is admitting no one wants TouchWiz.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Part of the problem has to be marketing. Only reason why I heard about the HTC One was because of a forum post I read somewhere else. I was looking to switch a bigger screen phone from my iPhone and knew about the Galaxy S4 coming out. If it wasn't for all the positive tech reviews this phone would have slip under the radar for a lot of people.

If HTC came out with a commercial campaign where they compared the design and strengths of the One versus the iPhone, they may get a lot more switchers looking at their way.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Part of the problem has to be marketing. Only reason why I heard about the HTC One was because of a forum post I read somewhere else. I was looking to switch a bigger screen phone from my iPhone and knew about the Galaxy S4 coming out. If it wasn't for all the positive tech reviews this phone would have slip under the radar for a lot of people.

If HTC came out with a commercial campaign where they compared the design and strengths of the One versus the iPhone, they may get a lot more switchers looking at their way.

See i have seen more htc one advertisements than any other phone. Ive seen a few s4 and iphones but it seems like everywhere i look on the internet, tv, or stores i see the one advertised. Im glad they did more of that but i guess they didnt do it in all the markets. I dont think samsung needed to advertise as much because they had the fan base.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Look where all of the departures are coming from. That tells you HTC is committed to addressing this very thing.

Also, someone on the verge brought up a good point: executives don't just leave. That isn't how it really works when you become a vp or a president of a division. I can guarantee you all of these people were shown the door by HTCs top brass.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Look where all of the departures are coming from. That tells you HTC is committed to addressing this very thing.

Also, someone on the verge brought up a good point: executives don't just leave. That isn't how it really works when you become a vp or a president of a division. I can guarantee you all of these people were shown the door by HTCs top brass.

Thats a good point. Or they left because they really messed up.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

Pakbackr

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Got to admit that I will miss the Rezound too....esp the camera! But the battery is so God-awful, I can be at 100% when I leave the office and will be at 75% when I get home 30 minutes later. And yea, I know all the published recommendations for improving battery life. If you do all that, you no longer have a smartphone...or at least you have nothing that is of much value. I think I am turning my sights to the iPhone.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Because the .001% of people, including yourself, who root their phones don't like Sense, "no one" wants it? Do you see where that comes as a tad arrogant?
LOL! I have known lots of HTC owners. And sales numbers don't lie.

I have no problem with the manufacturer putting whatever they want on their phone.
Neither do I. Welcome to the consequences. There is a downside to ignoring your customers.

If I don't want it, I don't buy it. For a phone-user to claim he knows how to run a multi-billion dollar international corporation better than the people who are running it (with degrees in finance, business admin, etc.) is laughable.
I might or might not fail at running that corporation. We know for sure he is failing though.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Got to admit that I will miss the Rezound too....esp the camera! But the battery is so God-awful, I can be at 100% when I leave the office and will be at 75% when I get home 30 minutes later.
Which is why I got the extended battery. And it was awesome. I basically only charged it at work. And I have gone days between charges before. I will never experience that with my Nexus 4. Embedded batteries are an awful idea.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I might or might not fail at running that corporation. We know for sure he is failing though.

I'm not sure how you call a company that is still making a profit, "failing". "Not succeeding up to potential", maybe. (?)

The people who truly have a stake in this are the owners of the company's stock. In the past six months, their stock has risen by about 50%! That does not sound like a failing company to me. I know, I wish MY investments were doing that well!!! :)

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Executives don't just leave? Sure they do. When they find a better job or see the writing on the wall for their own position or division. Or they are unhappy or are butting heads with higher ups. Have seen that lots of times. I'm not saying that some might not fall into the firing category, I beleive some have, but some others found new jobs awfully quickly. That suggest to me that for at least some of them, this move was planned ahead.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how you call a company that is still making a profit, "failing". "Not succeeding up to potential", maybe. (?)

The people who truly have a stake in this are the owners of the company's stock. In the past six months, their stock has risen by about 50%! That does not sound like a failing company to me. I know, I wish MY investments were doing that well!!! :)
Their stock is down about 150 from what it was a year ago. Your investment would only be good if you had bought in early Nov. If you bought a year ago, you are pretty screwed.

HTC CORPORATION Stock Chart | 2498.TW Interactive Chart - Yahoo! Finance

It was around 430 a year ago. Currently at 282. It dropped again today.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf