Seems like V30 is going to be the best phone

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
One thing that helps is to shoot in wide angle and if you want a close up, just hold the camera closer this way you're not cropping in digital.
I might get the new pixel first and hold onto the V20 for music. I may possibly buy the V30 when it drops in price.

I was actually considering the pixel xl 2, but if the $950 price is accurate for the 128gb version there's no way. That's too much to be losing a removable battery, ir blaster AND expandable storage.

The mate 10 is sounding better and better, and a u11 plus would be a beast . Damn good year for phones besides the death of swappable batteries.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was actually considering the pixel xl 2, but if the $950 price is accurate for the 128gb version there's no way. That's too much to be losing a removable battery, ir blaster AND expandable storage.

The mate 10 is sounding better and better, and a u11 plus would be a beast . Damn good year for phones besides the death of swappable batteries.
I would be more concerned about giving up a Quad DAC than any of the features you mentioned... IR blaster is a non event for most people... Removable batteries are almost non existant.... Expandable storage is pretty much a non issue with 128gb storage and there are options.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So by your logic because something got hacked we should just ignore security updates / patches and freely do whatever?

That sounds like a very bad idea. Hacks aren't meant to happen and they try to stop them but can't stop everything. Just like car crashes -- You can get in one but you of course try not to. Same thing with your private info.

No I'm saying it doesn't matter cause' your info is on the cloud anyway and that's the least safe place and it's probably been hacked before if you had T-Mobile/Equifax. If I had a physical storage with all my personal data, I would have a better time protecting it than the big corporations we put our trust in. My data was stolen on the cloud from these companies, can't do a darn thing about it, security updates on my phone wouldn't have done jack and that's my point.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the V20 sold relatively well, and the V30 will surprise people. It probably won't be a direct threat to the Note 8 or Mate 10 internationally, but I think it will do well here in the US.

Don't forget, everyone had to return their Note 7. Some didn't actually liked the V20, especially Note/Samsung fans. The Note 8 is the phone everyone was waiting a long time for. LG will do well since the previews have been positive, but can't say for sure because still no one really knows about LG except for Metro PCS and Cricket users since LG makes a lot of mid-rangers for these companies. It's all Samsung and Apple, with maybe a hint of LG. I've probably seen a V20 only twice except for mines.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You right, i'm not from USA, so in my country, the Mate 9 works on all networks, then again lucky we have choices...

What really baffles me, is why LG use low quality selfie camera on V30, while the G4 had great 8MP camera, and now it's junkie 5 MP that is barely passable.

It's their target market, they are aiming towards heavy using, photography loving folks who enjoy the wider angle front camera. If they made a wide angle 8MP front camera, it would've brought the price up and people would complain. The G5 and G6 were for the average user who likes to take weird smirking selfies of themselves and put it on Instagram/Snapchat while the V20 was for the photographer and videographer to take epic landscape selfies (I myself have taken breathtaking selfies with landscape). I was happier with the wide angle front 5MP camera on the V20 than the 8MP regular from the G5 since I enjoy taking epic wide selfies. Wished it was 8MP but glad it's still the good old wide front. I don't understand why people don't just flip the phone around and take an HD selfie using the volume rocker, there you go 16MP selfie.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No I'm saying it doesn't matter cause' your info is on the cloud anyway and that's the least safe place and it's probably been hacked before if you had T-Mobile/Equifax. If I had a physical storage with all my personal data, I would have a better time protecting it than the big corporations we put our trust in. My data was stolen on the cloud from these companies, can't do a darn thing about it, security updates on my phone wouldn't have done jack and that's my point.
Mkay. You can think what you want :).

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think pixel is way overrated and overpriced, outside of excellent performance and great camera, it really offered nothing, no IP rating, no dual speakers, no sd card, those things are mandatory.

Pixel 2 will offer IP68 but no SD card.

I bought the original pixel. You are correct when you say it was overrated. In truth, it sucked. I kept it 3 weeks, sold it and bought a ZTE axon 7. It blows the pixel outta of the water. So between the A7, and my galaxy s7 edge, I'm happy. But I'm seriously considering the V30. I'm an audiophile.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I bought the original pixel. You are correct when you say it was overrated. In truth, it sucked. I kept it 3 weeks, sold it and bought a ZTE axon 7. It blows the pixel outta of the water. So between the A7, and my galaxy s7 edge, I'm happy. But I'm seriously considering the V30. I'm an audiophile.
The axon 7, as much as I like it, is better than the Pixel XL at exactly one thing: audio.

The Pixel had a better: display, software, security, updates, support, processor, camera, storage options, battery size, battery life, network support, build quality, etc, etc.

I could understand someone saying they prefer the axon 7 or think it's a better value, but it in no way is a better overall device and it certainly doesn't blow the Pixel out of the water. The axon 7 is very clearly a mid-range device with a mid-range price tag.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
The axon 7, as much as I like it, is better than the Pixel XL at exactly one thing: audio.

The Pixel had a better: display, software, security, updates, support, processor, camera, storage options, battery size, battery life, network support, build quality, etc, etc.

I could understand someone saying they prefer the axon 7 or think it's a better value, but it in no way is a better overall device and it certainly doesn't blow the Pixel out of the water. The axon 7 is very clearly a mid-range device with a mid-range price tag.

For him it does, he is audiophile like me.
i use Fiio K1 USB DAC, does the job.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For him it does, he is audiophile like me.
i use Fiio K1 USB DAC, does the job.

That's what I'm saying though. If you prefer the great audio of the Axon 7 and are willing to live with all of it's shortcomings, that's one thing. Pretending that it's not beat at everything else by a lot of other devices out there is a totally different thing.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'm saying though. If you prefer the great audio of the Axon 7 and are willing to live with all of it's shortcomings, that's one thing. Pretending that it's not beat at everything else by a lot of other devices out there is a totally different thing.

Camera was not as good. But the A7 is faster than the pixel. Screen much better too.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Camera was not as good. But the A7 is faster than the pixel. Screen much better too.

On all three of those points the Pixel XL was objectively better than the Axon 7. Those are three things that are objective statements, because they can be determined by measurements. As an example, the Pixel XL display, while in sRGB mode, is far more accurate. It gets brighter, it's more power efficient and has better contrast, etc. Long story short, in every way you can evaluate a display, the Pixel XL is ahead of the Axon 7. (Tom's Guide, 2016, 2017) (anandtech 2016) (Phone Arena, 2016)

But again, no one would expect anything different - because we're comparing a mid-range device, which we only heard about because of it's awesome audio, to one of the leading flagships from the same year.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Who would have thought that a thread titled "seems like the v30 is going to be the best phone" would inspire 11 pages of people going back and forth about which phone is actually 'best' for them :)

Lots of flagships I rule out instantly when I see the words "LCD", "Edge display", "no expandable storage" and no water resistance. Plenty of mid-rangers would get me interested, but that's just me :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Who would have thought that a thread titled "seems like the v30 is going to be the best phone" would inspire 11 pages of people going back and forth about which phone is actually 'best' for them :)

Lots of flagships I rule out instantly when I see the words "LCD", "Edge display", "no expandable storage" and no water resistance. Plenty of mid-rangers would get me interested, but that's just me :)

It's fair if their are comparisons to other phones and suggesting the V30 is not. It does seem to veer off topic when other phones are being compared to each other and leaving the V30 out of the picture. I have to say because the title of thread is very subjective that it itself is the cause of all the side discussions.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I honestly would rather get an Axon 7 over the Pixel XL mainly because the Axon 7 supports microSD. But then the Pixel XL has a killer camera. Would be better if you could have both of those, that's why the V30 is going to be great.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I honestly would rather get an Axon 7 over the Pixel XL mainly because the Axon 7 supports microSD. But then the Pixel XL has a killer camera. Would be better if you could have both of those, that's why the V30 is going to be great.
Yep any individual preference for one over the other makes sense. It's just completely absurd to pretend that the Axon 7 blows anything out of the water, whether that be the Pixels or the V30 or any major flagship.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

If I could only get a 64 gigabyte device micro SD support would be critical.... With 128 its a non event

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yep any individual preference for one over the other makes sense. It's just completely absurd to pretend that the Axon 7 blows anything out of the water, whether that be the Pixels or the V30 or any major flagship.

ZTE is definitely working their way up the latter. They are dominating the prepaid market. Their price point is unbeatable thanks to cheap Chinese labor. They need to work on smartphone design however, their phones look like they're from 2013. Their phones are pretty good, their UI is nearly stock Android. I really like my ZTE Zmax Pro, love the giant true 6 inch 1080p display and good mid-range specs. Only a hundred bucks.