Seems like V30 is going to be the best phone

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
A first battery comparison. The screen brightness has been configured to be 300 cd/m² on all phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFb9SLYztac

Of course this doesn't translate into actual SOT, but it makes the V30 comparable to the Note 8 und S8+. The V30 won!
Thank goodness I got an Exynos Note8 :)

Snapdragon Note8 also did pretty poor in GSMArena Battery Test, while the Exynos was closer to the S7 Edge times.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This phone gonna fail in sales, LG has no marketing at all, Note 8 is selling better, iPhone 8 will come out soon, Mate 10, Pixel 2... V30 is already forgotten tbh.

As for me, i won't update to any phone other than Mate 10, i wanted the V30 but i don't need high-end DAC since i got mine USB C audio dac, and 4k doesn't have stabilization and from what i've seen, V30 isn't great at that aspect.

I'll reserve judgement on how well it does or how great it's feature set is once released. What's selling better is of no interest me. Only two phones have my eye... V30 and 2XL.
It comes down to an amazing multimedia device verses pure Google, fast updates and features unknown in the Pixel.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I'll reserve judgement on how well it does or how great it's feature set is once released. What's selling better is of no interest me. Only two phones have my eye... V30 and 2XL.
It comes down to an amazing multimedia device verses pure Google, fast updates and features unknown in the Pixel.

XL2 or V30 for you, for me as an owner of the Mate 9, i was unimpressed by anyone phone except V30, but it won't sell here till Novemeber probably, and the Mate 10 shaping to be a good upgrade to Mate 9.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
XL2 or V30 for you, for me as an owner of the Mate 9, i was unimpressed by anyone phone except V30, but it won't sell here till Novemeber probably, and the Mate 10 shaping to be a good upgrade to Mate 9.

The Axons are pretty good. Unfortunately I can only look at carrier phones. The problem with unlocked phones is they don't all work on Verizon and those that do lose a couple of features I like.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I think the V20 sold relatively well, and the V30 will surprise people. It probably won't be a direct threat to the Note 8 or Mate 10 internationally, but I think it will do well here in the US.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
That battery test looks good, always happy to see that. I wonder how the radio/software will do walking around, poor reception, etc. Also, you would think that release software will change how the battery performs in some way (hopefully better).

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Wow, this definitely redeems LG's bad reputation for battery life

I wouldn't give any win to LG or Samsung or any other based on 1 test, the best test is YOURS.

Each of us uses our phone differently, as already stated somewhere, LG phone sucks at web browsing as it drains battery faster than video recording.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't give any win to LG or Samsung or any other based on 1 test, the best test is YOURS.

Each of us uses our phone differently, as already stated somewhere, LG phone sucks at web browsing as it drains battery faster than video recording.

Coming from an LG, it basically sucks at everything related to battery life. So if there is any test which it an last so much longer than the Note 8 I'm using now, I think it can't be too bad

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Coming from an LG, it basically sucks at everything related to battery life. So if there is any test which it an last so much longer than the Note 8 I'm using now, I think it can't be too bad

Mate 9 is the current champ of battery life, and as i have this device, no device is really full upgrade over it.

V30 is a great phone that could be greater, i had G4 and had the worst battery life ever, friend had V20 and it was OK but nothing special in battery life, so the 3300mah battery isn't doing really good.

To my uses the Mate 9 is good enough but i need even more :), i hope the G7 will have a beast of everything.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Mate 9 is the current champ of battery life, and as i have this device, no device is really full upgrade over it.

V30 is a great phone that could be greater, i had G4 and had the worst battery life ever, friend had V20 and it was OK but nothing special in battery life, so the 3300mah battery isn't doing really good.

To my uses the Mate 9 is good enough but i need even more :), i hope the G7 will have a beast of everything.

What you are saying is correct, however Mate 9 is not a viable solution for everyone. It all depends on where you are and what carrier you are with.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
What you are saying is correct, however Mate 9 is not a viable solution for everyone. It all depends on where you are and what carrier you are with.

You right, i'm not from USA, so in my country, the Mate 9 works on all networks, then again lucky we have choices...

What really baffles me, is why LG use low quality selfie camera on V30, while the G4 had great 8MP camera, and now it's junkie 5 MP that is barely passable.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You right, i'm not from USA, so in my country, the Mate 9 works on all networks, then again lucky we have choices...

What really baffles me, is why LG use low quality selfie camera on V30, while the G4 had great 8MP camera, and now it's junkie 5 MP that is barely passable.
I don't know why they use 5mp, however the selfie camera is more than adequate for my needs.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I don't know why they use 5mp, however the selfie camera is more than adequate for my needs.

Not for me, try using the Mate 9 or even S8 selfie you'll see, but that personal matter.

If u gonna buy it, i would like to hear your opinion, as for me, i'm gonna test V30 audio capabilities vs mine K1 DAC, once it will be in shops...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not for me, try using the Mate 9 or even S8 selfie you'll see, but that personal matter.

If u gonna buy it, i would like to hear your opinion, as for me, i'm gonna test V30 audio capabilities vs mine K1 DAC, once it will be in shops...
One thing that helps is to shoot in wide angle and if you want a close up, just hold the camera closer this way you're not cropping in digital.
I might get the new pixel first and hold onto the V20 for music. I may possibly buy the V30 when it drops in price.