HTC One black menu bar?

totalsmoshy

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I know I've asked this but.... I want to ask again.
Hello, I couldn't decide between Samsung galaxy s4 and HTC One and it was driving me nuts! When I heard about the menu bar problem, I thought I would get the Samsung galaxy s4, because I love the screen size of it, plus the menu bar would annoy me. But then, I heard about amoled burn-in, and that would annoy me too. So I was back to square one. I can't decide what would annoy me more and it's driving me nuts again. So I would like to ask if the following apps are updated for the HTC One so the menu bar won't show.
MX Player
BS Player
VLC
Twitter
Real Racing 3
Asphalt 7
Iron Man 3
Riptide 2
Subway Surfers
Temple Run 2
REMOVED
Also, is the HTC One update available in :
The UAE
Canada
If anyone answers, Thank you! And if you could tell me a way to know what apps are updated for the HTC One, that would be appreciated. And also, is the black menu bar really as annoying as reviews make it out to be?:(

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I know I've asked this but.... I want to ask again.
Hello, I couldn't decide between Samsung galaxy s4 and HTC One and it was driving me nuts! When I heard about the menu bar problem, I thought I would get the Samsung galaxy s4, because I love the screen size of it, plus the menu bar would annoy me. But then, I heard about amoled burn-in, and that would annoy me too. So I was back to square one. I can't decide what would annoy me more and it's driving me nuts again. So I would like to ask if the following apps are updated for the HTC One so the menu bar won't show.
MX Player
BS Player
VLC
Twitter
Real Racing 3
Asphalt 7
Iron Man 3
Riptide 2
Subway Surfers
Temple Run 2
REMOVED
Also, is the HTC One update available in :
The UAE
Canada
If anyone answers, Thank you! And if you could tell me a way to know what apps are updated for the HTC One, that would be appreciated. And also, is the black menu bar really as annoying as reviews make it out to be?:(

If you buy the One, there are tons of 4.2 roms out there to squash this problem. I'm running one right now, in MoDaCo Switch Beta 10. I'm going to be honest with you though, I miss that bar an awful lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Isnt there a way to turn the logo into a capacitive button and do a remap?

To elaborate on what Jennifer mentioned, this is a custom kernel modification that will allow the top (maybe) half of the HTC logo to be used as a "button" and also to have swipe to unlock your phone rather than push the button in the upper left. I have no issue with the way my device handles it, so I have no experience in use. Do some research and a TON of reading before you do this to your phone.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope, it's much more efficient to have a black bar than to hold the home button for a second. I'm all about efficiency.
Your efficiency comes at the expense of 10% screen space, 100% of the time you use a legacy app. :p
To elaborate on what Jennifer mentioned, this is a custom kernel modification that will allow the top (maybe) half of the HTC logo to be used as a "button" and also to have swipe to unlock your phone rather than push the button in the upper left. I have no issue with the way my device handles it, so I have no experience in use. Do some research and a TON of reading before you do this to your phone.
I've read that the htc logo isn't really a button, more of a point where the other two buttons come together. Is this a solidly reliable mod?

I know the new Droid Ultra/Maxx on Verizon has a Menu button map in the menu, I was surprised when HTC didn't do this by default, heck, I'm surprised they dropped the multi-task button.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It seems like a lot less than that. I raised this issue previously, but I'd rather have an indication that there was a menu to be had rather than poking and hoping...
Just another reason the old 4 button layout was far superior to anything anyone is doing now.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
People using the logo mod are satisfied with the results. Further, the comments I made about missing the black bar are from my experience. Yours can and WILL vary.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky