HTC ONE REVIEW - The Verge

jeffsanace

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Biased is the word you are wanting.
I didn't think he was that hard on the battery life.

Rating of 5.5 out of 10 and saying that it didn't last long doing much is pretty harsh. Especially since there are members of xda from Germany posting battery results contrary to his review. And he's bias is the correct terminology in the context of my sentence.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

jeffsanace

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been getting battery stats from a Xda member from Germany for the last 2 + days, with screen shots of the info. He's reporting 6 + hrs screen on time and over 10 hrs with fairly heavy use.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting battery stats from a Xda member from Germany for the last 2 + days, with screen shots of the info. He's reporting 6 + hrs screen on time and over 10 hrs with fairly heavy use.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

Guess we know who to believe.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Always tradeoffs. High res screen, excellent speakers. Terrible battery life, poor button layout, low memory and Android lag. :'(

It's getting closer, but what manufacturer is going to put out the first no-compromise device? It's worked pretty well for Apple (they believe their compromises are design decisions.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 models (Same spec, different screen size):

5" 1080p IPS or SLCD
4" 720p IPS or SLCD

*Battery Life: Minimum 6+ hours screen time at max brightness, with GPS & BT on.
*Excellent reception
*Snapdragon Pro
*2GB Memory
*128GB onboard or SD Cardslot
*Offscreen buttons
*Front Facing Stereo Speakers
*Image stabilizing quality camera (Lumia/iPhone level)
*Stock Android
*Installable 'packages' for user chooseable software overlays.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

jeffsanace

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Always tradeoffs. High res screen, excellent speakers. Terrible battery life, poor button layout, low memory and Android lag. :'(

It's getting closer, but what manufacturer is going to put out the first no-compromise device? It's worked pretty well for Apple (they believe their compromises are design decisions.)

2 models (Same spec, different screen size):

5" 1080p IPS or SLCD
4" 720p IPS or SLCD

*Battery Life: Minimum 6+ hours screen time at max brightness, with GPS & BT on.
*Excellent reception
*Snapdragon Pro
*2GB Memory
*128GB onboard or SD Cardslot
*Offscreen buttons
*Front Facing Stereo Speakers
*Image stabilizing quality camera (Lumia/iPhone level)
*Stock Android
*Installable 'packages' for user chooseable software overlays.

Installable overlays are not possible for any of the manufacturer's . It would require the phone to be dual boot, basically carry 2 full roms. All of them are very much more than skins, are deeply integrated into the framework, libs, bins and kernel. So it's never going to happen, it's either you accept the manufacturer's version of android, or you buy a Google device (nexus, possibly motoX) Google always intended aosp to be a base for the manufacturer to customize, the nexus line was more for developers to build apps compatible with the os that would be compatible with all. Thus the reason they don't push the nexus line themselves. Although I have a feeling they may in the near future.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^Flashable zips, just like roms...but make it...'prettier'. As long as manufacturers keep handicapping phones in this seemingly arbitrary manner, people will always be frustrated with their device. I'm simply suggesting if a manufacturer presents a no-compromise product, they may be able to easily compete with Apple, charge a premium and enjoy some of the margins Apple gets.

jeffsanace

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
^Flashable zips, just like roms...but make it...'prettier'. As long as manufacturers keep handicapping phones in this seemingly arbitrary manner, people will always be frustrated with their device. I'm simply suggesting if a manufacturer presents a no-compromise product, they may be able to easily compete with Apple, charge a premium and enjoy some of the margins Apple gets.

Last I checked, android is killing apple. And Android has always been about choice, exactly why there are different flavors. I would like to see each manufacturer do an aosp device, but it won't outsell their preferred models. It's proven by sales comparisons now, the nexus devices aren't even in the ballpark with the top devices. And as long as Samsung, Sony, HTC and Motorola etc. Have their own spin on android that people want, it never will compete. Don't forget, these companies are the reason android is on top in the first place. Without them, Google would have had to become a manufacturer themselves.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
There is not a single Android device that outsells the iPhone. Except the quarter the S3 was released shorty before the soft sales due to the anticipated iPhone 5 release.

Even in an Android only world, there are 5 'crap' devices for every 1 'good' one. How many super crappy android phones are 'free or 50 bucks' with contract, how to they compare to the free/$50 4S's?

Dirt is more plentiful than diamonds, my friend.

jeffsanace

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
There is not a single Android device that outsells the iPhone. Except the quarter the S3 was released shorty before the soft sales due to the anticipated iPhone 5 release.

Even in an Android only world, there are 5 'crap' devices for every 1 'good' one. How many super crappy android phones are 'free or 50 bucks' with contract, how to they compare to the free/$50 4S's?

Dirt is more plentiful than diamonds, my friend.

But my point is android as a whole is dominating market share. No denying no one device is outselling it. But android has many flavors, not one. The choice is what's overtaken the dictator. The more choices the better for android, otherwise we'd all be driving Honda Accords that are white or black. People like being individuals, thus the reason android is on top.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
People need to stop viewing skins and variants as bastardizations of pure Android. Sense doesn't ruin Android any more than chocolate ruins strawberries.

Treat sense and touchwiz as something entirely different. HTC didn't use the word Android in the launch, and watch, Samsung won't either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
You can...

Sense is note than just a launcher, though. It would take far too much for HTC to be responsible for developing whatever flavor ROM you want on it. There will be an AOSP ROM available, just not from HTC.

I have only used nexus devices recently and flashed everything else to stock, but I'm excited about upgrading to this phone.

I get what you're saying, I prefer stock Android. I hate touchwhiz, sense is meh, but there's no reason it should be HTC's job to provide an alternate ROM. This is not something they slap on finished hardware once they're done. I'd agree with you if it was as simple as switching launchers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
But my point is android as a whole is dominating market share. No denying no one device is outselling it. But android has many flavors, not one. The choice is what's overtaken the dictator. The more choices the better for android, otherwise we'd all be driving Honda Accords that are white or black. People like being individuals, thus the reason android is on top.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

LOL

The iPhone 5 kills the high end Android market in terms of sales and performance.
The iPhone 4S kills the mid-range market. Nothing Android offers at that price can match it.
The iPhone 4 kills the low range market. You get a free iPhone 4 compared to a free cheap HTC/Samsung/Motorola device that lags with VERY old hardware.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
LOL

The iPhone 5 kills the high end Android market in terms of sales and performance.
The iPhone 4S kills the mid-range market. Nothing Android offers at that price can match it.
The iPhone 4 kills the low range market. You get a free iPhone 4 compared to a free cheap HTC/Samsung/Motorola device that lags with VERY old hardware.

No.

Maybe (pick wisely and it's no).

Yes, but you'll never get an OS update, and are missing plenty of features that you DO get on the cheap Android. I think at the free price point features will sell. Android has them.

jeffsanace

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
LOL

You can lol all you want, but you are wrong. As a whole, android is dominating the market. And no iPhone can compete with the cream of the crop android devices in performance. Sales I'll give you on an individual device basis. It's ok to love and praise your choice of device, but let's be honest. The sheep are not listening to the herder as much anymore. Get used to it, Apple is steadily losing ground by not bringing anything new to the table. Lol... Android is getting the last laugh. And there are plenty of android devices that out perform the iPhone in almost every category. To each their own though.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I should be able to choose the chocolate, or topping without having to change the type of strawberry I want.

You can build your own Android phone if you wanted to too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can lol all you want, but you are wrong. As a whole, android is dominating the market. And no iPhone can compete with the cream of the crop android devices in performance. Sales I'll give you on an individual device basis. It's ok to love and praise your choice of device, but let's be honest. The sheep are not listening to the herder as much anymore. Get used to it, Apple is steadily losing ground by not bringing anything new to the table. Lol... Android is getting the last laugh. And there are plenty of android devices that out perform the iPhone in almost every category. To each their own though.

Bad Seed Customs
Just Sick!

Lol at the ignorance. Clearly you are too blinded to see an iphone 4 will smoke the crappy Android phones even at the low end. And last time I checked the iphone 5 is outselling the Samsung devices because its the superior product.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol at the ignorance. Clearly you are too blinded to see an iphone 4 will smoke the crappy Android phones even at the low end. And last time I checked the iphone 5 is outselling the Samsung devices because its the superior product.

Link?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware