HTC One won't play through car radio!

freeagent165

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So my HTC One won't play through my radio. I have checked the cable, and it works with my iPod through the car stereo, and I checked the cable with my HTC one through my laptop and it plays through there too, so is it a problem with my radio? It's not stock, it's a custom Alpine one I put in a few years ago, and it's worked absolutely fine up until I tried to play music with my HTC One. The music just comes through the speakers on the phone. Has anyone had a problem similar to this or know what could be happening? Could my stereo really not be able to play it? Or could beats audio be doing this? Thanks for your help! It's also my auxiliary cable, my radio won't take a USB, so just auxiliary.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the music still coming out of the phone when the auxiliary cable is plugged into the headset jack? If it is then maybe the jack is not all the way in. On my S3 I have to push kind of hard to get it to properly be connected. It's worse if you have a case on the phone because the plug may be too big for the hole in the case.
If no music is coming out of the phone when plugged in, then the first thing I would check is the volume of the phone. A lot of phones automatically lower the volume when connecting something to the headset jack. It's a precautionary measure so that if wearing headphones it doesn't accidently blast music into your ears. When connecting my phone using the auxiliary jack, the volume on my phone needs to be set pretty high for it to be heard through my deck. Plus I have to set the auxiliary input on my deck to have a louder default volume than all the other inputs(not all decks have that option). I used to have an iPod connected to the same input and the found that the phone outputs a much lower volume than an iPod does.

markdmdg

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know what's up too. I have a Pioneer deck that plays my old iPhone perfectly fine, but won't read my HTC One at all. This is using a USB cable, not auxillary.

freeagent165

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So I went to the ATT store and basically it was the cable, he gave me a new Belkin cable (for free I might add, thanks dude!) and now it plays fine. So if you guys are having the same problems, try a new cable and see if that works. None of my skullcandy headphones with mics on them work with my HTC either, in the sense that I can't control volume or track control through my headphones like I could on my iPhone, apparently the jacks in iPhones and pretty much all other non iPhone devices are slightly different and most manufacturers go to the iPhone/iPod scheme because I guess those sell more, so if anyone is having a similar problem, I'd try a new cable. Thanks for everyone's input!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know what's up too. I have a Pioneer deck that plays my old iPhone perfectly fine, but won't read my HTC One at all. This is using a USB cable, not auxillary.

Most car stereos with USB were designed for iOS devices. MTP is not supported in these units, which is why you're able to use the iPhone and not your new One.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned above, some head units in cars are iOS only on usb ports, or memory sticks. My pioneer unit is similar, so I connect through bluetooth.

As for headphones, the beats issue has reared its head again. People buy beats headphones or others to listen to music and use the phone only to find out that the buttons don't work.

If the buttons worked with the iPhone, odds are they won't work with other devices. The little "made for iPhone or iPod" logo on headphone packaging means just that they will only fully function properly on iOS devices as well. It has to do with the way the plug is wired.

You may still hear music, but no forward, back etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Most car stereos with USB were designed for iOS devices. MTP is not supported in these units, which is why you're able to use the iPhone and not your new One.
I know this is an Android forum, but I wanted to note that I tested 5-10 different head units with my Windows Phone and none would play.
It is a very Apple-centric world, in this regard.
Bluetooth is the only real option, in my opinion.
JJ

Tom Epperson

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
So my HTC One won't play through my radio. I have checked the cable, and it works with my iPod through the car stereo, and I checked the cable with my HTC one through my laptop and it plays through there too, so is it a problem with my radio? It's not stock, it's a custom Alpine one I put in a few years ago, and it's worked absolutely fine up until I tried to play music with my HTC One. The music just comes through the speakers on the phone. Has anyone had a problem similar to this or know what could be happening? Could my stereo really not be able to play it? Or could beats audio be doing this? Thanks for your help! It's also my auxiliary cable, my radio won't take a USB, so just auxiliary.