HTC ONE X Unrooting to install OTA Update

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
hi
guys let me introduce myself first
My name is Russ im from the philippines
my first phone was iphone 4s then Lumia (which i somewhat regret) now i have swapped it for an HTC ONE X

Now my problem is, an OTA update popped out of my screen and i have already downloaded it
my phone restarted then " team win recovery project " started.

I have no idea what im supposed to do but i clicked install anyways
Which gave me an error "error file zip extraction" or something similar to that
So i just did a reboot

After that i checked if my phone is rooted using Root Checker
I got a message that says " Sorry! this device does not have a proper root access " which i assumed that my phone is actually not rooted.

Now the real question is, What is the problem? why cant i install OTA Update

Im a " Noob " when it comes to this kind of stuffs so please no Acronyms!

Thanks guys!

EDIT (Additional informations)
i checked if this phone has a custom rom installed (as i googled stuffs about android)
Settings > About>Software Information
Android Version 4.0.4
HTC sense 4.1
Software number 2.17.707.3

So i assume i have a stock rom?

another one is i hold volume down+power button
This info showed up

***unlocked***
endeavoru pvt ship S-ON RL
HBOOT- 1.12.0000
CPLD-none
Microp-none
Radio-2.1204.135.20
Emmc-bootmode:disabled
cpu bootmode: disabled
HW secure boot:enabled
modem path:eek:ff
jun 28 2012, 11:31:28

Hope these added information will help you guys to "help" me
You guys might see as another person who just asks for help without researching. .
Actually, i did "tried" to search for solution, its just that, i dont know What to actually search for
I am lost and i dont know the right direction. Maybe people here can help me.

I thank you in advance!

EDIT: Just found out what CID is for
MY Phone's CID is HTC_044
ro.carrier is: HTC - Asia-SEA-WWE

EDIT:
I have a feeling that my rom is actually in its "stock" form and doesnt need flashing
what my real problem re-locking the bootloader and removing "Team win recovery project"
Please do correct if what i think is actually wrong, thank you!

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you have Team Win Recovery on your phone, then despite what the root checker app said... you are at least customized, if not rooted. Team Win is a custom recovery, and even if everything else was as it should be, that would stop a carrier OTA.

To properly decide how you should best proceed, you need to know what you have. If you go into the ABOUT PHONE section in your settings, what does it say for-
Android Version-
Build Number (first 3 digits are all the matters, eg 3.18, etc)-

For most of us here, the most recent software is ATT RUU for 3.18 software here-
http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_..._10.130.32.34_release_signed_With_Partial.exe

If your phone is a former ATT phone, running the software above will return your phone to stock at the latest released software, including getting rid of TWRP (and wiping you SD card too probably, so copy everything off first). If the OTA you are trying to install says 3.18 in it... then you can probably download and run the above. If it is trying to install something with 5.xx, then don't try it. There is a different RUU for you out there somewhere.

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
If you have Team Win Recovery on your phone, then despite what the root checker app said... you are at least customized, if not rooted. Team Win is a custom recovery, and even if everything else was as it should be, that would stop a carrier OTA.

To properly decide how you should best proceed, you need to know what you have. If you go into the ABOUT PHONE section in your settings, what does it say for-
Android Version-
Build Number (first 3 digits are all the matters, eg 3.18, etc)-

For most of us here, the most recent software is ATT RUU for 3.18 software here-
http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_..._10.130.32.34_release_signed_With_Partial.exe

If your phone is a former ATT phone, running the software above will return your phone to stock at the latest released software, including getting rid of TWRP (and wiping you SD card too probably, so copy everything off first). If the OTA you are trying to install says 3.18 in it... then you can probably download and run the above. If it is trying to install something with 5.xx, then don't try it. There is a different RUU for you out there somewhere.

by ATT i assume its AT&T carrier am i right? and i should find a logo of AT&T on the handset. . which i dont see on my phone. so maybe its the international version?
Android version is 4.0.4
Build number is 2.17

Yes i would love to go back to Pure stock in everything (rom,recovery)
The OTA software update says 3.14 (364.56 mb)

I gladly appreciate your response! i am glad, i hope you can help me further as i lack knowledge on this kind of stuffs, thank you very much!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
We need to be careful here, as I think you have the international version of the phone (codename Endeavour) whereas I have the Evita.

I think this story here-
[Download] Official Android 4.1 RUU For Unlocked HTC One X

Has what you need- I THINK. There is a link to the RUU for 3.14xxxx just under the story. I suspect you do not know how to do the fastboot portion to verify your model, which is why you need to be careful :). Assuming this is the right one, and you run it and it works, that SHOULD put you back on the stock path to properly accept OTA going forward. If the OTA update it is trying to install has more decimal places, and those match the above link properly as well, that would help me feel more confident about being right.

Just to verify, running an RUU will wipe your phone, and your SD card as well (if you are not S-OFF). Be prepared to start from scratch, and copy all your pics and music off first.

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
We need to be careful here, as I think you have the international version of the phone (codename Endeavour) whereas I have the Evita.

I think this story here-
[Download] Official Android 4.1 RUU For Unlocked HTC One X

Has what you need- I THINK. There is a link to the RUU for 3.14xxxx just under the story. I suspect you do not know how to do the fastboot portion to verify your model, which is why you need to be careful :). Assuming this is the right one, and you run it and it works, that SHOULD put you back on the stock path to properly accept OTA going forward. If the OTA update it is trying to install has more decimal places, and those match the above link properly as well, that would help me feel more confident about being right.

Just to verify, running an RUU will wipe your phone, and your SD card as well (if you are not S-OFF). Be prepared to start from scratch, and copy all your pics and music off first.

Its okay i have nothing in my phone at the moment
Thank you for your assistance, as i read the article you linked me, i searched some terms and Just found out what CID is for

Hope those added information could help us both, i dont think the article you linked to me would be compatible with my device as mine is from ASIA-SEA-WWE
and the one you linked me is from europe

i would still want to thank you for your time and effort of helping me, i think i am heading to the right direction, i still need further assistance, so if you or anybody else reading this could help me, I would be so grateful

EDIT:
I have a feeling that my rom is actually in its "stock" form and doesnt need flashing
what my real problem is re-locking the bootloader and removing "Team win recovery project"

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Its okay i have nothing in my phone at the moment
Thank you for your assistance, as i read the article you linked me, i searched some terms and Just found out what CID is for

Hope those added information could help us both, i dont think the article you linked to me would be compatible with my device as mine is from ASIA-SEA-WWE
and the one you linked me is from europe

i would still want to thank you for your time and effort of helping me, i think i am heading to the right direction, i still need further assistance, so if you or anybody else reading this could help me, I would be so grateful

EDIT:
what my real problem is re-locking the bootloader and removing "Team win recovery project"

You need to flash the specific RUU for your region. Please be careful to not flash the wrong RUU as it will brick your phone. But instead of flashing an RUU, why don't you just flash a newer custom rom in TWRP?

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
You need to flash the specific RUU for your region. Please be careful to not flash the wrong RUU as it will brick your phone. But instead of flashing an RUU, why don't you just flash a newer custom rom in TWRP?

I have no idea and experience with custom roms.
If you could give me a decent guide i would gladly appreciate it

BTW i have relocked my phone and stucked at the bootloader . . i feel stupid. . did i "bricked" my phone? if you could help me, id gladly appreciate it!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea and experience with custom roms.
If you could give me a decent guide i would gladly appreciate it

BTW i have relocked my phone and stucked at the bootloader . . i feel stupid. . did i "bricked" my phone? if you could help me, id gladly appreciate it!

Yes I can help you. The phone is stuck on the bootloader screen?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes I can help you. The phone is stuck on the bootloader screen?

yes it is thank you for the fast response. my heart is beating like crazy, just got the phone and thinking i already "break" it . . Your help is appreciated!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
yes it is thank you for the fast response. my heart is beating like crazy, just got the phone and thinking i already "break" it . . Your help is appreciated!

Could you explain what you did before it got stuck? Please provide as much info as possible.

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Could you explain what you did before it got stuck? Please provide as much info as possible.

My laptop detected my htc one x so i tried to relock my phone using Fastboot
all i did was Fastboot oem lock
I read somewhere that it is required to install RUU . .

Now i downloaded the RUU but doesnt open on my Pc . . I clicked it a couple of times nothing happens,
On my laptop it gives me an error before i can actually open it (error -5001) something like that failed to open make sure to close program. ( i did not clicked twice, i only clicked once {run as admin})

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Now i downloaded the RUU but doesnt open on my Pc . . I clicked it a couple of times nothing happens,
On my laptop it gives me an error before i can actually open it (error -5001) something like that failed to open make sure to close program. ( i did not clicked twice, i only clicked once {run as admin})

Forget about the ruu for now. You might be able to unlock the phone again, but you need a unlock_code.bin

To get this, go to fastboot mode.

Get the token id by using the "fastboot oem get_identifier_token"

Copy the token and submit it on htcdev

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Found THE perfect link-
Endeavor RUU, OTA and Stock Nandroid Mirrors | HTC One X > XDA

Go past the first Asia, there is a SEA a couple more down. Looks like you want the 1.29. You are actually fine with it there at the bootloader screen with the RUU I think.

EDIT- To clarify, nobody on ATT should use ANY of these files. This is not for your phone, but for one that looks exactly like it.

sad to say that links doesnt work . . :( thank you for the effort though, i appreciate it . .

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

You might be able to make this work, but if it does not unlock again, you can just go with the RUU I guess.

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
You might be able to make this work, but if it does not unlock again, you can just go with the RUU I guess.

Make work the? i have no idea how to unlock it again . .

Im still searching for the proper RUU for my device . . can you help me? dont have any sleep yet, Q_Q thank you for your time and effort, please assist me, i need your assistance, thank you very much!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Make work the? i have no idea how to unlock it again . .

Im still searching for the proper RUU for my device . . can you help me? dont have any sleep yet, Q_Q thank you for your time and effort, please assist me, i need your assistance, thank you very much!

But I just gave you the steps on what to do! Would you like me to make a step- by - step guide lol, because if you need it, I will do so for you. I also recommend you get some rest if you haven't had any sleep. Sleep deprivation is very bad for your health :)

Russ Cruz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
But I just gave you the steps on what to do! Would you like me to make a step- by - step guide lol, because if you need it, I will do so for you. I also recommend you get some rest if you haven't had any sleep. Sleep deprivation is very bad for your health :)

sorry i did not noticed, i tried that but everytime i check my token, the values changes, is it normal? i tried sending but it said that there was wrong with my token . . .
i want to finish this before i sleep, im kinda depressed right now, just want to get over with this. . if only you have a messenger or something that could provde real time notification for faster response Q_Q

Thank you for your time and effort for helping me though i really appreciate it. help. . Let's fix this together (Q_Q)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
sorry i did not noticed, i tried that but everytime i check my token, the values changes, is it normal? i tried sending but it said that there was wrong with my token . . .
i want to finish this before i sleep, im kinda depressed right now, just want to get over with this. . if only you have a messenger or something that could provde real time notification for faster response Q_Q

Thank you for your time and effort for helping me though i really appreciate it. help. . Let's fix this together (Q_Q)

Idk, what do you want to use. kik, skype, text, name it lol

- - - Updated - - -

Google chat lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam