HTC Thunderbolt recalled by HTC due to camera issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilmunkeh

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Low Light would have absolutely NOTHING to do with the lens, but it would with the shutter and sensor. NEXT!

I had no idea I'd be starting a "Lens War" ("Sensor War" w/e you want to call it) when I started this thread. You guys are too much.

Either way, thanks for all your contributions to the thread. This is the first serious thread I've followed on AC and I'm excited to get my TB and get rid of my BB Tour. If the TB isn't released by 2/28, I'll go DInc until it is released (assuming it's released within 30 days of the 28th). I can't stand my BB any longer.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I had no idea I'd be starting a "Lens War" ("Sensor War" w/e you want to call it) when I started this thread. You guys are too much.

Either way, thanks for all your contributions to the thread. This is the first serious thread I've followed on AC and I'm excited to get my TB and get rid of my BB Tour. If the TB isn't released by 2/28, I'll go DInc until it is released (assuming it's released within 30 days of the 28th). I can't stand my BB any longer.

You're doing the right thing, my friend.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Because they are in a partnership with that lens producer, like Ford was with Pioneer for their stereos.

Ford partnered with JBL.

And last year a phone came out with 2.2 Froyo...yay...it's called "CHANGE"

I was saying if all lenses are the same what'd be the advantage of paying for the licensing of a specific lens manufacturer. And what does froyo have to do with this?

And every one of those you listed is a CAMERA COMPANY, and not a PHONE COMPANY like HTC. They brand their lenses to develop a following, and then you have the Carl Zeiss lenscrafter followers. I have a Zeiss lens for my Nikon, and the Sony came with one...Can't tell a difference between it or the Nikon lens..

What does HTC being a phone company have anything to do with the statement about lenses? They don't make them in house, they source them from another company. All they would've had to do is pick another manufacturer who has a better quality lens. I don't get the last sentence. Are you saying both your Nikon & Sony came with a Zeiss? And you can't tell the difference between two lenses from the same manufacturer?

I am talking about a lens of the SAME SIZE...OD, ID, and thickness like the Evo and T-Bolt...Would you guys learn how to ****ing READ? Were you up all night thinking about this? If so, you should have wasted your time on something else.

So how do you know the thickness is the same? The dimensions could be very different. We don't know for sure. I'm going by what the manufacturer said. And my post took me all of 10 minutes to write. I just didn't happen upon this thread until late at night.

Nothing like a little subjectivity since they weren't taking the T-Bolt apart at CES. I have an Evo and it sucks for a camera, even at 8mp. My 14mp Sony is much better, but I'll stick with my Canon and Nikon 35mm's for real pictures. Low Light would have absolutely NOTHING to do with the lens, but it would with the shutter and sensor. NEXT!

They don't have to take the Tbolt apart to tell me that they changed the camera. And I don't think anyone would say the camera on the phone would beat a dedicated camera, they have more room to install a better lens and image sensor. Low light would have nothing to do with the lens, but it would have to do with the image sensor, like I referenced in my post. "And yes, at CES, they were talking how the Tbolt had a better lens, sensor & camera software than is available on the Evo & Incredible. I have an Incredible & it does good (for a phone) but the Tbolt is supposed to be better in low light & reduce the capture time considerably, as well as others I can't recall offhand." If you're going to quote me, use the entire quote, not just a word here and there.

P.S. This post took me around 15 minutes, not all morning. And that's all I'm prepared to waste anymore on this.

Last edited:

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ford partnered with JBL.

Shows the depth of your knowledge...Ford used PIONEER for many years in their trucks, and uses Sony in the F150's now. Of course, I drive an F250 (09) that still has the Pioneer 6 disc, in dash

I was saying if all lenses are the same what'd be the advantage of paying for the licensing of a specific lens manufacturer. And what does froyo have to do with this? I seriously doubt they paid a licensing fee, and merely paid for the lens itself.

What does HTC being a phone company have anything to do with the statement about lenses? They don't make them in house, they source them from another company.Ummm...That's what I said, and then you argued it...Badly. All they would've had to do is pick another manufacturer who has a better quality lens. I don't get the last sentence. Are you saying both your Nikon & Sony came with a Zeiss? No, I'm saying I bought a Zeiss for my Nikon, and I couldn't tell a difference between it and the Nikon when the picture is printed. Huge waste of money. And you can't tell the difference between two lenses from the same manufacturer?

So how do you know the thickness is the same? The dimensions could be very different. We don't know for sure. I'm going by what the manufacturer said. And my post took me all of 10 minutes to write. I just didn't happen upon this thread until late at night. They're not going to be "very different" in a little ass phone

They don't have to take the Tbolt apart to tell me that they changed the camera. And I don't think anyone would say the camera on the phone would beat a dedicated camera, they have more room to install a better lens and image sensor. Low light would have nothing to do with the lens, but it would have to do with the image sensor, (No no no...That is what I said before you started APING me!)like I referenced in my post. "And yes, at CES, they were talking how the Tbolt had a better lens, sensor & camera software than is available on the Evo & Incredible. I have an Incredible & it does good (for a phone) but the Tbolt is supposed to be better in low light & reduce the capture time considerably, as well as others I can't recall offhand." If you're going to quote me, use the entire quote, not just a word here and there. And if you're going to take my side on things later, at least admit it!

P.S. This post took me around 15 minutes, not all morning. And that's all I'm prepared to waste anymore on this.

15 minutes? Took me 5

rpalumbo

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
This is the Blackberry Curve 8330 all over again with VZW, no one knew when that device was coming out. Some people including myself was able to order through a VZW rep if you actually got a rep that was either nice or knew what the hell was going on. It took 4 phone calls to a VZW rep before I placed an order. Just amazing!! By time they actually release this phone we might see the iPhone 7 on 6G.....all abort on the 5G Train....how many bloody "G"s are there!! LOL

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Then stop being a douche by claiming the camera is so different when you have no proof it's different at all! That's my ****ing point. Fan-Boy

Our point is that is what the manufacturer said. If they said they changed the camera and didn't and got caught, they could have a lawsuit on their hands. With all the tear down videos that come out after the devices are released, that detail would come to light. Why risk it?

You have no proof they didn't change the camera. We have a statement from the manufacturer that they did.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
15 minutes? Took me 5

You said I took your side. I did not. You said the lens would not affect the low light. In my post I referenced the sensor, but you saw that I also referenced the lens and assumed that is what I meant when referring to low light because lenses is what we were talking about. I'd take the manufacturers satement at CES before yours if I had a choice, and I do.

As far as paying licensing for the camera lens, yes that would be part of it. That is why manufacturers put out components without their names on it. That is why you see parts places selling no name parts, but reference they were built by manufacturer X. If the company using the part wants manufacturer X's name on it, they have to pay a licensing fee.

Last edited:

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You said I took your side. I did not. You said the lens would not affect the low light. In my post I referenced the sensor, but you saw that I also referenced the lens and assumed that is what I meant when referring to low light because lenses is what we were talking about. I said the EXACT same thing if you'd read back, then you wrote it word for word...that is what I meant by taking my side.I'd take the manufacturers satement at CES The manufacturer never said they changed the lens...just some dude playing with the phone who said "I THINK they changed the lens" before yours if I had a choice, and I do.

As far as paying licensing for the camera lens, yes that would be part of it. That is why manufacturers put out components without their names on it. That is why you see parts places selling no name parts, but reference they were built by manufacturer X. If the company using the part wants manufacturer X's name on it, they have to pay a licensing fee.

Show me a name like Nikon, Ziess, or Canon on ANY phone lens.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Our point is that is what the manufacturer said. If they said they changed the camera and didn't and got caught, they could have a lawsuit on their hands. With all the tear down videos that come out after the devices are released, that detail would come to light. Why risk it?

You have no proof they didn't change the camera. We have a statement from the manufacturer that they did.

No no no...Now it's gone from some dude who played with a bolt at CES and said "I think they changed the lens as it SEEMS to work better in low light" to "The manufacturer said..." Oh **** no. The manufacturer didn't say anything. Yet. But you fan-boys did. When you got called on it, you start twisting crap trying to use semantics and saying "Camera" "Sensor" "Shutter" "Software", etc and trying to twist it to suit your needs. One of you fan-boys said "They put an improved LENS on it", and I said "How do you "improve" a lens?" Ya'll took it on this tangent, not me. Still waiting for something definitive that they changed the LENS at all. I don't think it's changed, and I seriously doubt HTC puts much effort into their cameras judging by the picture quality, but when it goes from 5mp to 8mp, it has to be good, right? They are betting people see the bigger number and say *this one goes up to 11* so it must be better. Me thinks 8mp is going to be the limit of the phone cameras, and I'll bet we see it stepped down to 5mp in the future...like the Bionic, and probably the Evo2.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Show me a name like Nikon, Ziess, or Canon on ANY phone lens.

I can't because this goes back to my first post where I mentioned that a phone had released last year with a SCHNEIDER lens on it & you said they would not have to pay for licensing just pay for the lens itself. I never mentioned Nikon, Zeiss or Canon being on a phone. But just because every phone isn't branded with the name of a premium lens manufacturer, everyone is the same? Then what would be the point of different camera phone lens manufacturers? Or are you saying that one company makes every lens for every camera on every phone?

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
you still don't get it do you, your the one that started of by claiming it was the same camera as the Evo with absolutely nothing to back it up we atleast have someplace were we got our info to claim its not the same camera and you cannot intelligently argue that fact i'm done replying to your idiocy now your clearly not worth the time

No, I said it's the same camera until someone proves it to be different. I called you guys on it and said show me something definitive that they changed the lens since you guys started chiming in one after the other, defending your beloved not-released phone. Show me. Prove it. I'm not talking about the shutter, software, sensor or anything else either...I'm looking for an "Improved lens".

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't because this goes back to my first post where I mentioned that a phone had released last year with a SCHNEIDER lens on it & you said they would not have to pay for licensing just pay for the lens itself. I never mentioned Nikon, Zeiss or Canon being on a phone. But just because every phone isn't branded with the name of a premium lens manufacturer, everyone is the same? Then what would be the point of different camera phone lens manufacturers? Or are you saying that one company makes every lens for every camera on a phone?

In any given year, there may be one manufacturer for a phone camera lens...it is possible. Depends on who makes one in spec, for the cheapest.

Still waiting for someone to show me that this is an "improved lens".

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This (along with some of your others in this thread) is one of the most ignorant, uneducated posts I have read in quite some time. You're wrong, man. Just admit it.

Then stop being a douche by claiming the camera is so different when you have no proof it's different at all! That's my ****ing point. Fan-Boy

Feel free to explain your stupidity if you'd like.

Why are these threads resorting to this? I don't want to see any more post like these.

If he's wrong he's wrong. Make your case and leave out the rest.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
you still don't get it do you, your the one that started of by claiming it was the same camera as the Evo with absolutely nothing to back it up we atleast have someplace were we got our info to claim its not the same camera and you cannot intelligently argue that fact i'm done replying to your idiocy now your clearly not worth the time

Same here.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
so stop being a douche and accept it and stop touting info as fact that you absolutely cannot state as such

you cannot intelligently argue that fact i'm done replying to your idiocy now your clearly not worth the time

if you knew how to fully comprehend the english language, sorry for that one last response to this stupidity this is def the last

So, I guess we have 3 more infractions and a closed thread.

Reactions: anon(157335)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred