I didn't charge my new S7 the recommended 5hours. Battery life is terrible.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Is that why my phone drains in 7 hours? What can I do? I bought 2 new replacements batteries from eBay with good reviews,
But if its possible, I want to go with a brand name battery. It went through 3 charge cycles already and still terrible. I watch it drain in front of my eyes, watching the % drop.

Much thanks,
B

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is that why my phone drains in 7 hours? What can I do? I bought 2 new replacements batteries from eBay with good reviews,
But if its possible, I want to go with a brand name battery. It went through 3 charge cycles already and still terrible. I watch it drain in front of my eyes, watching the % drop.

Much thanks,
B
Hi , if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist.

I'll provide a link to register so you can communicate here.https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! No, it doesn't have to do with not charging up first -- that was for old NiMH batteries, which would develop a "memory." Lithium batteries don't do that.

First, show us your battery stats, since it may have more to do with how your phone is behaving (e.g., if your cell signal strength is terrible, that can drain the battery fairly quickly). Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html. You have to register first.

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And remember, when Samsung made the phone, they ordered the batteries they'd need for the phones they wer going to produce, and the number they thought they'd need for replacements. So the "brand name" battery - any brand name battery you buy, is over 3 years old, and probably hasn't been charged in 3 years, so it's not going to be in great shape. A lot of 3rd party battery sellers actually have batteries made up for older phones, and they're made of new batteries, so they're in better condition than an old Samsung battery.

Rechargeable batteries self-discharge, and a battery sitting on the shelf for 3 years could be completely dead, which damages the battery. Even a 3rd party battery using an old Samsung, but with a new label, could be damaged. If the 3rd party batteries work, but the Samsung battery doesn't, just properly dispose of the Samsung battery.

But 7 hours of use isn't terrible. (Just don't discharge the battery too far. At 40%, either charge it or turn the phone off. Dropping it to 20% cuts the life by about 80%. Dropping it to 0 every charge cycle can kill a brand new battery in a month.)

Do what B. Diddy suggested. And keep the screen brightness as far down as isn't uncomfortable. Unless you have no cell signal at all, the screen is the largest consumer of power. And the brighter it is, the more power it uses. (And full brightness all the time can cause screen burn-in.)