I don't care what they say, removable batteries are where its at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I have to disagree. A battery pack may be a little clunky, but it's more versatile since I can use it for more than one device, and rather than spend $30 on each spare battery when I upgrade my phone, I've spent $60 on something that will continue to work for years. My pack can charge over USB-C or Micro-USB, so there's less concern about a friend having the correct cord since either works. I don't have to shut down my phone when i want a charge. And the battery pack outputs both Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 and USB-C Power Delivery, so my batteries charge very quickly. When the battery inside the phone no longer holds a charge (assuming I keep a phone that long), it isn't too difficult to open it up and replace the battery, depending on the phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have to disagree. A battery pack may be a little clunky, but it's more versatile since I can use it for more than one device, and rather than spend $30 on each spare battery when I upgrade my phone, I've spent $60 on something that will continue to work for years. My pack can charge over USB-C or Micro-USB, so there's less concern about a friend having the correct cord since either works. I don't have to shut down my phone when i want a charge. And the battery pack outputs both Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 and USB-C Power Delivery, so my batteries charge very quickly. When the battery inside the phone no longer holds a charge (assuming I keep a phone that long), it isn't too difficult to open it up and replace the battery, depending on the phone.

And the best part is that those that preordered got the battery and cradle for free..... Not to mention the 360 camera, which can also be charged by the cradle.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
And the best part is that those that preordered got the battery and cradle for free..... Not to mention the 360 camera, which can also be charged by the cradle.

Cool, that's still not as versatile as a battery pack that outputs over USB-C and standard USB. I can charge literally any gadget with my battery pack, while the cradle can only charge USB-C devices.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Cool, that's still not as versatile as a battery pack that outputs over USB-C and standard USB. I can charge literally any gadget with my battery pack, while the cradle can only charge USB-C devices.

It does work with standard USB, they even provided an adaptor so you charge it with a micro USB cable or you can use any USB cable to charge other USB devices including Iphone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It does work with standard USB, they even provided an adaptor so you charge it with a micro USB cable or you can use any USB cable to charge other USB devices including Iphone.

Yeah, I looked this thing up after you said it can charge other devices and it looks pretty sweet. Now I'm wondering if my wife's G4 did the same thing.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Who said anything about poor battery life? This phone makes very good use of the 2800 battery.

I wasn't implying that the G5 had poor battery life.

I just shared my opinion as I see some people letting a phone with poor battery life slide because "it has a removable battery" or "it has quick charging".

Folks, those 2 aren't good excuses for a weak battery. I would gladly take a large battery that can last the whole day while also being either user-replaceable and/or fast-charge capable for heavier days.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't implying that the G5 had poor battery life.

I just shared my opinion as I see some people letting a phone with poor battery life slide because "it has a removable battery" or "it has quick charging".

Folks, those 2 aren't good excuses for a weak battery. I would gladly take a large battery that can last the whole day while also being either user-replaceable and/or fast-charge capable for heavier days.

True.....we could all use more battery. Glad to see some efficiency thrown in to the mix these days. Hope the V20 gets better life than the V10.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The battery really is pretty poor. An Amoled screen would have been brighter than the lcd that needs the brightness set all the way up most of the day (even on auto brightness) which in turn sucks the battery life

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I start my day at 4 in the morning and it lasts me from the morning commute until the end of the workday. Occasionally, I put it on charge at my desk during the day. If not I usually top it off before I go home about an hour before I get ready to leave and that gets me through the rest of the evening. I have had other phones that didn't last as long and even had larger batteries. The difference with this phone compared to others I've owned is that I can quick charge.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I start my day at 4 in the morning and it lasts me from the morning commute until the end of the workday. Occasionally, I put it on charge at my desk during the day. If not I usually top it off before I go home about an hour before I get ready to leave and that gets me through the rest of the evening. I have had other phones that didn't last as long and even had larger batteries. The difference with this phone compared to others I've owned is that I can quick charge.

In 2016, it's unacceptable to have phones that can't get you from morning until bed without a top up. I understand this is the norm, but it still sucks.

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
" Each year they introduce a new feature or two, and sometimes take a feature away from a previous year. When people notice and get upset, they usually put the feature back in. Especially if there is a high demand for it".

I'm really disappointed, although not surprised, that there wasn't more demand. I've had so many friends who never even thought of keeping a spare battery around. Years ago, I was the first of my friends to carry around a portable charger, but it wasn't until months later that it occurred to me that I could actually buy a spare battery (for my Galaxy S3). I became a believer that day. I've bought spare batteries for friends as small gifts and converted them as well.

Another factor in not bringing the feature back is the profit for the phone manufacturer. By eliminating the removable battery, they are decreasing the lifespan of the phone and increasing the likelihood that the customer will upgrade their phone at 2 years. Apple has been gouging their customers this way for years. And while I can't necessarily blame companies for this, I also can't help but feel like it's a small slap in the face to the consumer.

Anyway, I've got about 7 hours of airport/flight/layover/travel time today. I've got my 2 spare batteries all charged up!

jabloomf1230

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Back when people had either a laptop or a desktop computer as their main hardware device, a smartphone was mostly used as a phone. Nowadays, I use my phone for almost every computer-related task. And using a phone in that manner will drain the life out of even the biggest battery. That's why I've held on to my Note 4. There are far to many circumstances where it is inconvenient to plug in a dying phone. Samsung has lost me again as a potential customer with their Note 7 hardwired battery.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
In 2016, it's unacceptable to have phones that can't get you from morning until bed without a top up. I understand this is the norm, but it still sucks.

If they make one that does that and gives me everything else I ask for while keeping it compact I'll be the first one on line.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

There seem to be many devices that are capable of all day battery life. I don't know if the G5 is one of them, but I do know that I currently own 4 phones that have no problem going all day long and it seems that the S7 Edge, Note 5, OnePlus 3 and Axon 7 are also in that category. So if the G5 can't last all day, I think it'd likely be the exception of recent flagships.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
There seem to be many devices that are capable of all day battery life. I don't know if the G5 is one of them, but I do know that I currently own 4 phones that have no problem going all day long and it seems that the S7 Edge, Note 5, OnePlus 3 and Axon 7 are also in that category. So if the G5 can't last all day, I think it'd likely be the exception of recent flagships.

Agreed. I was mostly referring to the G5.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

It's fair to say I need to charge mine 2 or 3 times a day. My s7edge I had before this G5 would probably only need charged again in the afternoon and go all night again

Attachments

• 21446.jpg
    21446.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member