I got to play with the One M9 for about 15 mins. My impressions.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I just came back from a 15 minute play with the One M9, both the silver and gunmetal grey versions. The phone is released today here in Australia. Played with it at a Telstra store in Brisbane, Queensland.

Impressions:

Build feels really solid. Doesn't feel like a cheap device at all. Then again, none of the HTC One's have. The finish is definitely has more grip than the M8. The finish on the gunmetal and silver are different also, which I hadn't read about. Silver felt more 'sticky' to my hands, whereas the gunmetal was smoother but not slippery or anything. Kinda hard to explain until you get hold if them yourself, you'll get what I mean.

The gold trim on the side of the silver model doesn't look too bad. It looks really gaudy in images and videos I've seen, but it's more understated in real life. The gunmetal is the same colour on the back and the side. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the gunmetal, as the gold was enough to turn me off. Both looked decent though.

The front of the device is actually nicer and a bit cleaner than the M8. The M8 had two plastic inserts where the speakers are but the M9 is one continuous piece of plastic on the top, running down the sides to the bottom. It looks nicer than the M8 when I pulled it out and compared the two. I'd say the finish/grip of the back of the device is what makes the most difference in holding the M8 and M9. The M9 is definitely easier to hold without fear of dropping it.

The software looked extremely similar to what I have been using for the past year. Sense 7 looked and performed the same as Sense 6. Few little things I noticed was that on the gallery app, you can now pinch to collapse the images so you can see more of them, or expand to make the images larger. Kinda like what Apple have on their app and when you press the app drawer button, the background is now a dark blue instead of black. Not sure if that can be changed with themes, but those are some minor things I noticed. Software was fast and smooth. I wouldn't say it's leaps and bounds faster than the M8, but it felt a little bit faster.

I snapped a few pictures inside the store. They turned out alright from what I could tell. Under artificial lighting, the images looked decent. I zoomed in on a photo I took and it looked fine, though photos always look better on the screen of a phone than when you look at it full size on a computer screen, so I'm holding off judgement on that.

Overall impression is that it seemed very similar to the M8. Almost too similar for my tastes. While the build has improved (easier to hold), I can't say the software was new or refreshed or anything. More or less what we had with the M8 bar a few tweaks.

I think going from the M7 to M9, that's a solid upgrade worth the price. Going from the M8 to M9....that's too hard of a call for me. It just didn't feel new enough or different enough for me to purchase it (and the $936 outright price helped with the decision). It's a really nice phone though. I think anyone who buys it will be pleased with it. I think the phone is best for those who don't have an M8, because then the upgrade will feel significant. To be honest, after reading all the doom and gloom reviews - my initial impressions of the phone are quite positive and thought it was better than it would be. Maybe I invested too much weight into reviews who tend to blow out the negatives.

I'm happy to answer any questions people might have. Though note that it was a short play time so battery life and in depth camera impressions are impossible.

Last edited:

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick review! I've been thinking if upgrading to the m9 from my nexus 4. Think that would be a good idea?

Posted via Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick review! I've been thinking if upgrading to the m9 from my nexus 4. Think that would be a good idea?

Posted via Android Central App

That will absolutely be a big upgrade.

The One M9 has the better build, better screen, faster processor/performance, much better speakers, camera and would have much better battery life.

I think going from the Nexus 4 to M9 would be a great upgrade. Hope you enjoy it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That will absolutely be a big upgrade.

The One M9 has the better build, better screen, faster processor/performance, much better speakers, camera and would have much better battery life.

I think going from the Nexus 4 to M9 would be a great upgrade. Hope you enjoy it.

Did you notice the cooler display a lot of reviewers are mentioning? If so, would it be enough of a deterrent to get an M8 over an M9?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Did you notice the cooler display a lot of reviewers are mentioning? If so, would it be enough of a deterrent to get an M8 over an M9?

Not really. I held up my M8 next to the M9 and the screens looked very similar. The M8 I guess looked a touch more vibrant/oversaturated I suppose. The M9 screen looked a bit different, but not in any negative way. I know Anandtech bagged the M9 screen, and maybe on a technical by-the-numbers level, it may be inferior to the M8, but holding it in my hand, it looked just as great as the M8 screen to be honest. Screen absolutely wasn't a deterrent at all to me, a non-issue. No way in the world would I choose the M8 over the M9 due to the screen - because the screen isn't noticeably better. Not to me anyway.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Not really. I held up my M8 next to the M9 and the screens looked very similar. The M8 I guess looked a touch more vibrant/oversaturated I suppose. The M9 screen looked a bit different, but not in any negative way. I know Anandtech bagged the M9 screen, and maybe on a technical by-the-numbers level, it may be inferior to the M8, but holding it in my hand, it looked just as great as the M8 screen to be honest. Screen absolutely wasn't a deterrent at all to me, a non-issue. No way in the world would I choose the M8 over the M9 due to the screen - because the screen isn't noticeably better. Not to me anyway.

I figured as much. In real day to day use a lot of the issues some reviewers are complaining about are things that probably won't be noticed in real world use. Thanks for the reply!

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Would you consider going from the Moto X 2014 to the M9 an upgrade? The Moto app and its various custom things I've found are not as important to me as what I thought they would be when I got it, and I'm quite disappointed in the performance of the Moto X after updating to Lollipop.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Great mini review, thanks for writing it up :) cannot wait to receive mine I just wish it came sooner than the 31st here in the UK. I know the stock has arrived in stores already - Adam

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Many reviewers mentioned the speakers on the M9 being not as loud as the M8 at full volume but sounding better overall because of better separation of the sound due to the Dolby. Did you do a sound comparison?

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Many reviewers mentioned the speakers on the M9 being not as loud as the M8 at full volume but sounding better overall because of better separation of the sound due to the Dolby. Did you do a sound comparison?

I wondered about this as well. I sure was missing boomsound at work last night. The only radio station I could pick up at work was playing Taylor Swift every 30 minutes and my iPhone speakers weren't cutting it.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I wondered about this as well. I sure was missing boomsound at work last night. The only radio station I could pick up at work was playing Taylor Swift every 30 minutes and my iPhone speakers weren't cutting it.

I was vacationing last week for march break and had to use Google Maps to get around and it made me appreciate Boomsound even more. I didn't need to shush everyone in the car to hear the directions clearly. I am going to have a hard time going back to tiny sounding speakers.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Would you consider going from the Moto X 2014 to the M9 an upgrade? The Moto app and its various custom things I've found are not as important to me as what I thought they would be when I got it, and I'm quite disappointed in the performance of the Moto X after updating to Lollipop.

Never owned a Moto X 2014 so can't really comment, sorry. If performance is a concern, then the M9 will be right up your alley. Had lightning quick performance throughout.

No sorry. Was in a store, so I didn't want to start busting out a song or anything on it.

Though I will go back tomorrow and try it anyway.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
No worries. lol. That's the first thing I am going to do when I compare the S6 to the M9 when I test it out in the store actually. Followed by if I can tolerate Touchwiz.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I was vacationing last week for march break and had to use Google Maps to get around and it made me appreciate Boomsound even more. I didn't need to shush everyone in the car to hear the directions clearly. I am going to have a hard time going back to tiny sounding speakers.

The volume on the 6 is really pretty loud. It's the actual sound it reproduces that's so bad. When I had the M8 I preferred watching video on it over my laptop because the speakers on the M8 had a much richer, fuller sound.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The volume on the 6 is really pretty loud. It's the actual sound it reproduces that's so bad. When I had the M8 I preferred watching video on it over my laptop because the speakers on the M8 had a much richer, fuller sound.

That's kind of what I meant. I shouldn't have used tiny as the adjective. Loud, muffled and distorted is bad. Loud and clarity is awesome.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That's kind of what I meant. I shouldn't have used tiny as the adjective. Loud, muffled and distorted is bad. Loud and clarity is awesome.

LOL. I just ended up putting on The Strokes last night. They sound like they recorded in a tin can anyway.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Did you happen to place the M9 on the counter on its back? I am wondering with the big camera does the phone rest on the camera lens? That to me would be a big drawback. My M7 when laying on its back rests on the metal case.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Did you happen to place the M9 on the counter on its back? I am wondering with the big camera does the phone rest on the camera lens? That to me would be a big drawback. My M7 when laying on its back rests on the metal case.

I'm assuming in a carrier store it would have an alarm on the back so it can't be stolen. At least in the US that's how they're displayed. It looks to me the plastic lip around the lens will lay against the table making it slightly wobbly. That's how my current phone rests on a table anyway.

EDIT: or maybe that's why they went with a square opening to the camera allowing the lip to lie flatter on a table.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz