I got to play with the One M9 for about 15 mins. My impressions.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to let us know what he thinks about battery life.

Yeah will do.

And I'd suggest those people who may have passed off the M9 based on specs/reviews or whatever, honestly give it a look and give it a solid consideration. It really is a nice device and may surprise you.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah will do.

And I'd suggest those people who may have passed off the M9 based on specs/reviews or whatever, honestly give it a look and give it a solid consideration. It really is a nice device and may surprise you.

I'm pretty much sold on getting one at some point in the next few weeks. If I don't like it, I can always return it. To be honest, if it behaves as well as the M8 I had did, I'll be happy.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty much sold on getting one at some point in the next few weeks. If I don't like it, I can always return it. To be honest, if it behaves as well as the M8 I had did, I'll be happy.

Performs better than my M8 (in terms of UI performance). Can tell you that right now. Not sure about games, as I didn't get to try, but I didn't have any issues with scrolling around the UI, opening apps etc. Really fast and fluid there.

If you liked the M8, I find it hard to believe people won't like the M9. It's the M8 just better in a lot of respects. Only question mark for me would be battery and possibly camera performance. Would love to be able to test those properly. I'm getting just over 5 hours screen time with my M8, if I got around that with the M9, I'd be satisfied with that.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I just played with the m9 for 5 minutes. Quick first impressions the silver & gold was weird, I didn't like it, it was heavy and reminded me of an old watch. I think it looks better than the m8 but my good old m7 wins the good looks award. I didn't get to see the black version, but if I got the m9 it would have to be black. Sense is swift and suave, im a big fan, it's beautiful. I tried the camera out, it was pretty mediocre. Stationed right next to the m9 was the note4 , so I started to take photos with both to compare the results, I'm not going to lie the note4 absolutely shmitzed it, and then I became intrigued with the note 4. I got completely distracted by the note 4 its screen and camera were amazing, but that crappy plastic back had a huge gap and touchwiz is so fugly compared to sense. So yeh, definitely now waiting to see the s6 to see the build quality and the new touchwiz. Coming from the m7 I just wanted a much better camera, unfortunately I don't think the m9 is the one.

Posted via Android Central App

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Let me tell you something. In the back of my mind. Even with all the disappointments as far as the evleaks not coming to fruition and the lukewarm reviews. Once I go to the store and test it out I am going to want to buy it. lol. I will pick up the S6 and be more impressed with it from a technical standpoint, but again in the back of my mind I am a having a hard time trusting Samsung long term. It will be new and shiny and have great specs like all galaxy's in the past have had but will the performance and battery life erode over time like past Galaxy phones? Say what you want about HTC but I've never had that problem with my M7. There is something to be said about a consistent fluid user experience and a mature looking UI. Anyway, we'll see...

Ditto here. I have been spending a lot of time on the S6 forums but still not sure I could pull the trigger on a Samsung. Plus now I'm hearing that Verizon will only have black & white S6. That puts M9 back in the running for me.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
With anything new there will be bumps, In the long run they will be sorted out, that's why there is testing going on as we speak.

HTCOneM

Banned
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
And bug fixes can be pushed out to them when found. Doesn't mean testing is over with.

HTC doesn't have the means/manning to be worried about the M9 once customers start to order the phones. Do you think the new CEO is saying lets focus on the M9? Or do you think she/he is trying to take HTC to the level of Apple/Samsung and they are focused on their next flagship device. You want to erase everything your predecessor didn't do right and begin the start of your legacy in my opinion.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
HTC doesn't have the means/manning to be worried about the M9 once customers start to order the phones. Do you think the new CEO is saying lets focus on the M9? Or do you think she/he is trying to take HTC to the level of Apple/Samsung and they are focused on their next flagship device. You want to erase everything your predecessor didn't do right and begin the start of your legacy in my opinion.

The new CEO is one of the founders of the company still tied to the legacy of the company. What you are saying makes no sense. Of course, they are still frantically working on improving the software and will be releasing updates into April and beyond. The phone isn't even in peoples hands yet and you think they are already discarding this phone and looking to next year? They NEED this phone to be a success. This isn't some throwaway Desire phone with a limited release in Japan. The M9 is being launched globally on every carrier and every country possible and is their flagship device. Besides Chou is still very much involved in the company, he wasn't fired, and will have a hand in product development going forward just not final say.

HTCOneM

Banned
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The new CEO is one of the founders of the company still tied to the legacy of the company. What you are saying makes no sense. Of course, they are still frantically working on improving the software and will be releasing updates into April and beyond. The phone isn't even in peoples hands yet and you think they are already discarding this phone and looking to next year? They NEED this phone to be a success. This isn't some throwaway Desire phone with a limited release in Japan. The M9 is being launched globally on every carrier and every country possible and is their flagship device. Besides Chou is still very much involved in the company, he wasn't fired, and will have a hand in product development going forward just not final say.

This came from the verge.com, just google HTC CEO:
In the month since the official announcement of the One M9, HTC has changed CEOs and now placed a new person in charge of its smartphone design. While the demotion of former CEO Peter Chou seemed enforced by ongoing concerns about the company's overall performance, Jonah Becker appears to have left of his own accord. These two key changes open the door for a fresh start for HTC's flagship smartphone line, though the new faces aren't new to the company and may still choose to remain faithful to its established design language.

www . theverge.com /2015/3/27/8298581/htc-jonah-becker-industrial-design-chief-quits

HTCOneM

Banned
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

The Verge disagrees with you and so do I. This is what businesses have to do in order to change...ie Apple.

In the month since the official announcement of the One M9, HTC has changed CEOs and now placed a new person in charge of its smartphone design. While the demotion of former CEO Peter Chou seemed enforced by ongoing concerns about the company's overall performance, Jonah Becker appears to have left of his own accord. These two key changes open the door for a fresh start for HTC's flagship smartphone line, though the new faces aren't new to the company.

People overseas already have the M9 in their hands. Like the UK and in Taiwan as examples.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I disputed was that they would not being ignoring a phone they just released in order to focus on a phone coming out a year from now. You are going off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

I do agree that changes needed to be made but I've already said they needed new blood at the top not Wang.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

HTCOneM

Banned
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The only thing I disputed was that they would not being ignoring a phone they just released in order to focus on a phone coming out a year from now. You are going off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

How long does it take for them to start working on a new flagship? It's not a few months. They start that process before their new flagship is even pushed out the door. They are focused on the M10 already, and they already have a sales quota they are not going to meet with the M9. They wouldn't have put out the M9 if the phone wasn't ready for the masses. They are not still conducting tests on the phone, otherwise it wouldn't be on store shelves. R&D doesn't work that way in any company. HTC had to downsize a lot due to their loses. They don't have the time or money to continue a flagship that has already passed through their system. Believe me when I say that I know they are focused on the M10.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
You said in another thread and I am paraphrasing, that they shouldn't even bother offering software optimization updates and bug fixes to the M9 going forward and should just cut their losses and focus on the M10. That's silly. I was more talking about that. I know how long it takes for a new phone. But they still need this phone to be as successful as possible. They aren't going to take their ball and go phone while it is barely is anyones hands.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
How long does it take for them to start working on a new flagship? It's not a few months. They start that process before their new flagship is even pushed out the door. They are focused on the M10 already, and they already have a sales quota they are not going to meet with the M9. They wouldn't have put out the M9 if the phone wasn't ready for the masses. They are not still conducting tests on the phone, otherwise it wouldn't be on store shelves. R&D doesn't work that way in any company. HTC had to downsize a lot due to their loses. They don't have the time or money to continue a flagship that has already passed through their system. Believe me when I say that I know they are focused on the M10.

All OEMs work on flagships for months after release. Otherwise there wouldn't be updates to fix bugs, improve performance, etc. You don't think they have at least a small team for improvements/maintenance on current devices? I mean their entire company doesn't just work on future products.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
All OEMs work on flagships for months after release. Otherwise there wouldn't be updates to fix bugs, improve performance, etc. You don't think they have at least a small team for improvements/maintenance on current devices? I mean their entire company doesn't just work on future products.

BINGO!!!

HTCOneM

Banned
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

There isn't an M7 team, M8 team, and M9 team working on updates. It's all one team. Not a very large team at all. When bugs are reported over a period of time they allocate time to work on those updates. Hence, it takes months for software updates to hit those devices unless they are pushed through the playstore. For right now, I know for a fact their software engineering team is working on the M10. I've been to the HTC HQ in Taiwan and that is how it was explained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia