I got to play with the One M9 for about 15 mins. My impressions.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
There isn't an M7 team, M8 team, and M9 team working on updates. It's all one team. Not a very large team at all. When bugs are reported over a period of time they allocate time to work on those updates. Hence, it takes months for software updates to hit those devices unless they are pushed through the playstore. For right now, I know for a fact their software engineering team is working on the M10. I've been to the HTC HQ in Taiwan and that is how it was explained.

Posted via the Android Central App

Great. So tell us what the M10 looks like then since you've been to the HTC Headquarters and it's pretty much done according to you...

HTCOneM

Banned
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Great. So tell us what the M10 looks like then since you've been to the HTC Headquarters and it's pretty much done according to you...

Did I say that I saw the M10? Did I say the device was finished yet? Reading is fundamental. Me: Excuse me, I'm here for a tour of your facilities and can I please see your flagship for 2016? HTC: Sure, any customer can come in and see our next flagship. (LMBAO, Yeah right)

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
My brother bought the M9 today.

Had lunch with him, and he was in the market for a new phone, asked me what good phones are out, I said the M9 is out and the Galaxy S6 is coming out soon. We walked into a Telstra shop, he had a play around with it for about 5 minutes and then signed up on a contract. I asked if he's sure he wants to buy it and not to rush into a contract, but he said it's fine. He was on a Note 2 which runs like an absolute dog now, so he's been wanting a new phone for a while now. He got the gunmetal grey version.

While he was doing the paperwork, I played with the M9 some more. To be honest, the more I play with it, the more I like it. Feels even better in the hand than the M8. While the software isn't anything terribly new, it is super fluid, fast and consistent. It's also very visually pleasing which is something I can't say for other Android OEM skins. Again play testing the camera in the store, the camera photos actually look quite good on the phone's screen. You can zoom in a lot and things looked quite good.

I wish there was some sort of loan system where I could take the phone home and test it for a week before deciding to buy it or not. The phone is actually really quite nice. Nicer than what I've read from the reviews.

Hmmmmm....according to Andrew on this site, who is testing the S6 and has an open thread, battery life for him so far is about 12-14 hours and will need a charger before the end of the day. So battery life may not be better than the M9 after all considering all the hand wringing. He also told you that the S6 is lagging on Lollipop in certain situations with extended usage and doesn't think the M9 does...Having second thoughts yet :)

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
There isn't an M7 team, M8 team, and M9 team working on updates. It's all one team. Not a very large team at all. When bugs are reported over a period of time they allocate time to work on those updates. Hence, it takes months for software updates to hit those devices unless they are pushed through the playstore. For right now, I know for a fact their software engineering team is working on the M10. I've been to the HTC HQ in Taiwan and that is how it was explained.

That's crazy if the Software Engineering team is already working on the M10 unless they have some hardware to code for. The ME, EE, and SE teams would have to work as a collaborative effort, not to include all dialogue with the design team which may be distributed across multiple locations globally. What about the Desire and Butterfly line-up which are on a different product launch schedules? So I'm curious as to what it is the Software Engineers are coding for on the M10. Is it the next Sense API, the core Sense Apps, or something else? What did they say to you about that at the HTC HQ?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That's crazy if the Software Engineering team is already working on the M10 unless they have some hardware to code for. The ME, EE, and SE teams would have to work as a collaborative effort, not to include all dialogue with the design team which may be distributed across multiple locations globally. What about the Desire and Butterfly line-up which are on a different product launch schedules? So I'm curious as to what it is the Software Engineers are coding for on the M10. Is it the next Sense API, the core Sense Apps, or something else? What did they say to you about that at the HTC HQ?

I doubt he was actually there honestly.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick review! I've been thinking if upgrading to the m9 from my nexus 4. Think that would be a good idea?

Posted via Android Central App

Specs wise, it's a big jump. Providing you can live without stock android. If you want stock android and specs, go Nexus 6. Providing you can live with a 6" screen. ;) But to me, specs are overrated and only good for benchmark junkies. I just bought the 1st Moto X, and it's fast enough and has great features specs be damned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali