I have a Galaxy S8 in my hands — AMA!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for that review! Very interesting with regards to the camera.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but: you say it feels good in the hand, which is great! If it's easy to use one-handed, does that mean someone with smaller hands will be able to navigate the device with ease? 5.8" seems a little too steep for me.

DaydreamHero

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Can you try mirroring the screen to a Chromecast? Are there black bars on the top and bottom of your TV when the S8 is in landscape orientation? If so, is there any setting on the phone that allows you to adjust the displayed area on the S8 to a standard 16:9 ratio?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for that review! Very interesting with regards to the camera.
5.8" seems a little too steep for me.
Keep in mind that it's 5.8", but it's a much taller screen. Width wise, it's narrower than the 7 Edge (the S8 is over 4mm narrower than the S7 Edge). The device width is more important in regards to one handed use than the diagonal measure of the screen itself.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that it's 5.8", but it's a much taller screen. Width wise, it's narrower than the 7 Edge (the S8 is over 4mm narrower than the S7 Edge). The device width is more important in regards to one handed use than the diagonal measure of the screen itself.

I don't get the advantage of being narrower, the width of the standard phones today seem great. Why reduce the amount of screen width? I would be happy with the S7 width and the new taller screen since they reduced the top and bottom bezels.

anon(9955529)

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone, for the next couple of days I have a Galaxy S8 to put through its paces. The hardware is pre-production, and the software isn't final (though it's close) so I thought I'd get a discussion going.

So, what else do you want to know? Let me know and I'll try my best to answer your questions!

Could you share the new S Health APK ? and Bixby ?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The S8 is .16" narrower than the S7 Edge (6% narrower) while the S8+ is .016 wider (.6%). So if you want the same width, get the S8+. The body of the S8+ is less than a mm wider than the S7 Edge.

BTW, 240fps at 720p is the max slow mo. Same as the S7.

MikeBerry3

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes the software keys can be switched to the usual set up with the back button on the left. Mr. Mobiles hands on review shows him switching them. Hooray!

Accidently didn't link this to the person asking...

jpinkc

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
I would like to know thoughts on the Camera?? Since its supposedly the same as last year. Any Camera lag on opening it up? How would you rate the picture quality? I know its early but does it seem solid? I know my wife's S7's camera can lag on opening up to take shots, and no one can tell us why.

efultz

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
I assume the case has a cutout for fingerprint scanner? I have Samsung Pay and use the fingerprint scanner. Putting on the back seems pretty dumb to me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for that! That's a good point, for sure!

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't get the advantage of being narrower, the width of the standard phones today seem great. Why reduce the amount of screen width? I would be happy with the S7 width and the new taller screen since they reduced the top and bottom bezels.
It's 1.6mm narrower than the S7, due to a mixture of the aspect ratio and the edge display. Given that the S7 screen doesn't go to the edges the effective screen width is slightly larger (though comparing edge and flat isn't simple).

And actually for some of us the typical phone these days is too wide to be truly comfortable. For all LG's arguing during the G6 launch that 72mm was the optimum width for a phone, 68mm definitely suits me better. If you want wider, there is that option too.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Does Bluetooth dual audio work with current speakers or will we need to upgrade to Bluetooth 5.0 speakers for this when they become available?

rahool360

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
love to know the battery life and about accidental touches.... it was the prime reason why I kept my note 5 and didnt buy s7 edge... last year end!!!

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm relatively new to Android smartphones (been on iOS for 10 years and Windows Mobile before that), I really like all the neat features tucked away in these devices.

Does this have HDMI out through the USB-C port?

How fast does it charge over USB-C vs. wirelessly? I see there's also a high-speed wireless charge, how does that compare to wired and the 'standard' wireless charge? I see '1.4x' being thrown around, but I'd like real world stats and experience.

Does it do 5GHz Mobile Hotspot like the LG G6 (which I'm thankfully returning)?

Is there an Notification LED (my Moto Z I had for a few weeks apparently had an LED, but was never enabled by Motorola or could be accessed by devs). I even tried using apps that would utilize the flash LED, but it never worked for the Moto Z or the LG G6.

I hear that T-Mobile DIGITS beta service is baked into the T-Mobile-branded version. Any luck accessing it?

Any experience using the S8 with Android Wear devices? Considering they're touting their own Tizen-based Gear S2/S3 smartwatches which is probably supported natively, I just want to make sure it'll will play nice with non-Tizen smartwatches.