i have a mecool km2 plus and it started overheating, but i can't contact customer service

willsp1983

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
I've looked at there website, but the phone number listed has way too many numbers, ive also tried to email them, but got no reply. Hopefully i could at least figure out what's wrong with it.

the box started overheating, i think it just has insufficient cooling, ive taken some pictures of the very thin heat sink, and only 1 small thermal pad, and this box was almost 100 dollars. this will very likely be the last mecool product i ever buy. hope you guys can help IMG_20230521_101034.jpgIMG_20230521_102729.jpgScreenshot_20230521_165904_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Given how similar that looks to other tv boxes on Amazon, my guess is it's a generic clone product with one of many cover designs. The phone number likely is the right number of digits as long as you don't mind calling their HQ in Shenzhen, China (according to their contact page).

I personally wouldn't put much hope in getting support from them. I wouldn't blame you for not trusting them again, but I doubt the dozens of other Android boxes would be much better. I would suggest going with something name brand, like a Firestick or Roku. They are established brands that are likely more durable and have actual customer support.

willsp1983

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
i Have a roku, but i don't like how restrictive it is. i wanted something that could have a web browser and twitch, both not possible on the roku. Also for almost 100 dollars, seems like this thing would have a better heat sink

Sent from my SM-A326U using AC Forums mobile app

willsp1983

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
also i tried dialing the number, exactly as it's written on the website, and it said That it cannot be completed as dialed. i thought since this was an official Android tv box, they would be a legitimate company. and i watched a lot of reviews for this thing, but no one ever said anything bad about the company. i think i may need to make some videos, and help people to avoid buying there products, if you can't even contact them.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
also i tried dialing the number, exactly as it's written on the website, and it said That it cannot be completed as dialed. i thought since this was an official Android tv box, they would be a legitimate company. and i watched a lot of reviews for this thing, but no one ever said anything bad about the company. i think i may need to make some videos, and help people to avoid buying there products, if you can't even contact them.

That's why I never buy anything from Amazon that is sold by sellers other than Amazon itself. The unknown brands from sellers with products that appear to be the same but have different names tend to be junk. These sellers also submit bogus reviews via less than honest means. Stick to brands that are known and sold directly from Amazon.

Reactions: mustang7757

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean by "official"?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
They probably said so. Guaranteed it's a cheap knock off. Walmart's onn settop box is getting pretty good reviews considering its price.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Android TV boxes are kind of a wasteland of shadiness. See this article: https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/18/popular-android-tv-boxes-sold-on-amazon-are-laced-with-malware

As discussed above, I'd stick with devices from reputable brands, like Google's Chromecast with Google TV, the Nvidia Shield TV, or Walmart's onn. Google TV box. There are browsers that can be installed from the Play Store, and it's also possible to connect a wireless keyboard.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
i Mean That it is actually android tv os. not using a version of mobile os.

That doesn't really matter. There are a lot of boxes that use the Android TV OS, but it doesn't mean that the quality control for hardware or firmware is good, nor that the manufacturers provide any useful support afterwards. It also doesn't mean that they're safe to use, as previously discussed, since the prevalence of malware is uncomfortably high.

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Just for further info.

willsp1983

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
yea i really thought mecool was a reputable company, since i couldn't find any overly negative reviews of the box i ordered, and also since it was using an android tv os, it seems to be pretty good box, other then it's inefective cooling system, but for the price, i expected a much better product

willsp1983

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Just for further info.

that was some great information, now this box did come with Google play already installed, and i saw a review video That said, mecool works closely with Google so they can meet there security Standards, to my best memory, so apparently im not the only one that was confused. also mecool wash not in that list. so now i think i need to cheat for the play protect. from what i read, as long as it has play protect and sais That it's certified, then it should be a reputable company, but since they aren't listed as partners, then they probably can't be certified right ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress