I have an LG V20 that I'm not allowed to review. Let's talk about it anyway.

ragdoll08

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Is the camera quality difference really that drastically different between the 16MP and the wide angle? As in, are you going to want to use the wide angle lens for anything other then perfectly clear outdoor daytime shots?

And side question/ is the front facing camera a step back from the FFC shooter on the G4 (fantastic) and presumably (never used it) G5? I'm hearing that the cropped image when not using the wide angle mode is, well abundantly cropped. Thanks! I want LG to just take my money already for this thing but what I've seen so far image wise, seems like it's begging for a software fix out the gate.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is the camera quality difference really that drastically different between the 16MP and the wide angle? As in, are you going to want to use the wide angle lens for anything other then perfectly clear outdoor daytime shots?

If the physical sensors are the same size, that means better sensitivity to low light, all other things being equal. This is because having larger pixels allows more light per pixel. It's why actual cameras do better. The larger the pixel size, the better the per pixel detail.

Another unknown is the focal length between the two. I'm guessing that the wide angle has a shorter focal length, which will also affect how aperture is considered. Basically, a shorter focal length can achieve the same light gathering with a higher aperture number as a longer focal length with a smaller aperture. This explains it with some visuals.

https://youtu.be/f5zN6NVx-hY

So, again I'm speculating here, the light hitting the sensor is probably close enough that you wouldn't notice much difference between the two cameras. The 8MP doesn't bother me either. It's more than enough for social media and respectable printing sizes. It doesn't look like it has image stabilization, but that may not matter on that wide of an angle image. If it is more light sensitive, then you can shoot at a higher speed, which also makes images more sharp.

TL;DR version: It may be possible that the wide angle camera is just as good, if not better in low light conditions as the main camera.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If the physical sensors are the same size, that means better sensitivity to low light, all other things being equal. This is because having larger pixels allows more light per pixel. It's why actual cameras do better. The larger the pixel size, the better the per pixel detail.

Another unknown is the focal length between the two. I'm guessing that the wide angle has a shorter focal length, which will also affect how aperture is considered. Basically, a shorter focal length can achieve the same light gathering with a higher aperture number as a longer focal length with a smaller aperture. This explains it with some visuals.

https://youtu.be/f5zN6NVx-hY

So, again I'm speculating here, the light hitting the sensor is probably close enough that you wouldn't notice much difference between the two cameras. The 8MP doesn't bother me either. It's more than enough for social media and respectable printing sizes. It doesn't look like it has image stabilization, but that may not matter on that wide of an angle image. If it is more light sensitive, then you can shoot at a higher speed, which also makes images more sharp.

TL;DR version: It may be possible that the wide angle camera is just as good, if not better in low light conditions as the main camera.

Assuming Anandtech is right, and the V20 uses the same wide-angle setup as the G5, it seems to be a 1/3.2" sensor with 1.4-micron pixels behind an f/2.4 aperture.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10217/the-lg-g5-review/5

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Assuming Anandtech is right, and the V20 uses the same wide-angle setup as the G5, it seems to be a 1/3.2" sensor with 1.4-micron pixels behind an f/2.4 aperture.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10217/the-lg-g5-review/5
Thanks. Running the math, at least for the G5, the wide angle would have less light gathering through the lens though it does have larger pixels that can use that light more effectively. I haven't personally researched the G5, so wasn't sure how the two cameras stacked up.

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
How is the audio quality through earphones (or headphones) ? Specs look good, but listening is best way to tell if it is really good !

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Camera is good, not great, in low light. Feels about as good as the GS6/iPhone 6s, not necessarily as good as the GS7/iPhone 7 Plus. Hope that helps!

Note 7 is better than the Plus in low light, so the V20 must not be very good for low light. Shame, since seems good for most everything else.

Last edited:

malifact

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
How is the audio quality through earphones (or headphones) ? Specs look good, but listening is best way to tell if it is really good !

I would like to know this as well. One of my favourite things about the LG V10 is the sound quality, so hopefully the LG V20 is in a similar vein.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Answers please :)

1. Battery life. How is your use? I light user can make it though a work day, but that could mean two hours of SOT. Initial reviews state battery life is not good, which would make sense considering the same display as V10 and extra mini one as well (that is brighter than the V10).

2. How is the signal reception for LTE? The Note 7 and 7 Plus are mediocre at best.

3. Battery drain significantly higher with the high def DACs turned on? Apparently they drink more juice.

4. Low light picture quality? Note 7 takes the best low light of all current phones. Surprised the V20 with it's camera emphasis apparently is weak. Retail firmware will probably not fix that if correct- more to do with the sensors.

5. Current reviews state the device gets very warm/hot with heavier use.

6. Does the battery cover seem tight? If not, any moisture would probably fry the device display (already happened with one demo device).

Thanks!

jabtano

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
This is my question now that you have used it . Is it worth $830.00 that they are asking. I'm thinking no but haven't seen it o used it yet.

damev

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
1. Does it have FM Radio?
If not, maybe just because it's an american version. Even if the american version doesn't have FM Radio, the international version may has it.

2. Does it have barometer sensor?

damev

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Camera is good, not great, in low light. Feels about as good as the GS6/iPhone 6s, not necessarily as good as the GS7/iPhone 7 Plus. Hope that helps!

That's strange, as LG G5 has the best camera today, it takes better low light photos even than the Note 7. And V20 supposedly has the same camera as G5.

We have to wait for the reviews of the release version.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I think most corporate ATT stores have a demo unit now. My best advice would be to go try one out. Reviews are helpful but ultimately each of us decides whether we think a phone is up to par or not.

jfs85

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I love my Note 7. I loved my Note 4 and my Note 2. I've narrowed it down to the v20 and the Pixel XL. Without being able to see and try out the phones, I'm stuck. I know no one else can know which one I'll like better but am wondering if one is intuitively closer to the Note 7? Also, I do not like the edge but thought the top screen a cool item. Now I'm rethinking...

silkyms3

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Does it retain Nougat's DPI scaling feature? If so, how does it look when scaled to Small, is everything re-scaled or just certain parts? This determines if I'm going to pick one up or not. Returned the V10 mainly for content scaling that showed less content than 5" screen phones.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I love my Note 7. I loved my Note 4 and my Note 2. I've narrowed it down to the v20 and the Pixel XL. Without being able to see and try out the phones, I'm stuck. I know no one else can know which one I'll like better but am wondering if one is intuitively closer to the Note 7? Also, I do not like the edge but thought the top screen a cool item. Now I'm rethinking...

I too love my Notes 2 & 4 & 7!
Apple products are delicious to eat but not to digitalize (from my perspective!) and I don't know of any other 5.7" to 6" display---only the V20 . . .

If someone in here can inform me of other phones with the large displays, I will surely welcome that info!