I have an LG V20 that I'm not allowed to review. Let's talk about it anyway.

Daniel Bader

Managing Editor, Android Central
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
So LG sent me a pre-production V20 with the express instructions that I'm not allowed to review it for AC. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about it in detail, and that I can't basically review it without a review.

So let's talk about it. Have at it — what would you like to know about this fantastic, unique phone?

First, my impressions: it's really nice. The build quality is outstanding, even with the removable battery door. I don't care about the removable battery one way or another, but it's nice to know it's there, and doesn't take away from using the phone at all. I'm not even sad about the fact that it doesn't support LG's Friends mods, since those were largely useless.

The software is also pretty nice. That this runs Android 7.0 Nougat means that there are performance advantages, sure, but most of the improvements are subtle, like the cleaner notification shade and support for true Multi Window. I've even been using Multi Window in ways I thought I wouldn't, like referencing a website while I write an email in Gmail. The screen is big enough for me to do that.

Anyway, thought I'd get the ball rolling, so have at it.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
One thing I was hoping for was manual video controls for the front facing camera. I know it's a long shot, but what is the scope of control for the front camera?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Question - How are you liking the second screen? Finding it useful or kind of "gimmicky"?

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
One thing I was hoping for was manual video controls for the front facing camera. I know it's a long shot, but what is the scope of control for the front camera?

Unfortunately, there are no manual controls for the 5MP front-facing camera. There's a wide-angle mode that is turned on by default (and it also defaults to 16:9 aspect ratio) but that's about it. There's also a Beauty mode, but... it's not my cup of tea.

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Question - How are you liking the second screen? Finding it useful or kind of "gimmicky"?

It's absolutely both! I think it's a great feature for some things — it's useful in the camera app, for instance, for keeping controls out of the viewfinder — but largely useless. The main reason I dislike it is, like the Galaxy Note Edge, it actually moves some notifications to the Second Screen, and they don't look great there.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know LG boasts a lot of manual stuff for the camera pros but how do you feel the camera will perform for a "point and click" type of photo-taker?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
im going to piggyback the camera post as well. Ive read it uses same hardware as G4/G5/V10. Im not so worried about the video, barely use it. But as far as day to day picture taking, is there any noticeable difference between the quality on the prior mentioned models, and the V20. Not too worried that the cameras can switch to wide screen, more concerned with quality, quickness of shot/focus, etc, and handling itself in more difficult lighting.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Does it get really hot like the G5 after looking at a few webpages? My G5 is very hot once you start browsing, using the stock chrome browser.

AANB63630

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
So LG sent me a pre-production V20 with the express instructions that I'm not allowed to review it for AC. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about it in detail, and that I can't basically review it without a review.

So let's talk about it. Have at it — what would you like to know about this fantastic, unique phone?

First, my impressions: it's really nice. The build quality is outstanding, even with the removable battery door. I don't care about the removable battery one way or another, but it's nice to know it's there, and doesn't take away from using the phone at all. I'm not even sad about the fact that it doesn't support LG's Friends mods, since those were largely useless.

The software is also pretty nice. That this runs Android 7.0 Nougat means that there are performance advantages, sure, but most of the improvements are subtle, like the cleaner notification shade and support for true Multi Window. I've even been using Multi Window in ways I thought I wouldn't, like referencing a website while I write an email in Gmail. The screen is big enough for me to do that.

Anyway, thought I'd get the ball rolling, so have at it.

Could you tell us about battery life?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Amazing. This thing has a seriously powerful, full-bodied mono speaker. I'm serious, it's better than most dual speaker setups.
This is great to hear. I didn't like going back to mono after having an HTC M8 with stereo speakers, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good the G4 mono speaker was. It made the trade-off worth it, and a complete toss up between the two options. Now if the two could be combined into a front facing stereo speaker setup with the over all sound quality of the G4 (or the V20 from the looks of it)...

kryst100

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
How is the main camera in low light? Does it generate a lot of noise, compared to other phones? (Galaxy S7/iPhone 7)

Any drops/scratches so far? Damage prone areas (like that rear camera that's sticking out)? Catching dirt/fingerprints easily?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julieharrison