I must be a fool, but I think I am staying...here me out and hold the pitchforks

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
If heavy usage is a problem they should just go after the people that are using their wireless connection on thier phones to torrent and download warez instead of making everyone suffer because they cant contain the people that are abusing the network. Im not a heavy user (I used about 2gb a month surfing and listening to pandora) but i dont like having to watch my data usage. Just like i dont monitor how many minutes i use because i have any mobile any time and i barely talk to people that has landlines.

Reactions: Linkchomp

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
For YOU it isn't good unless you have unlimited. For OTHERS it is good. For example, my mom. Tiered data is a good idea as long as they have an option for power users.

No it isn't. Giving people the option of getting a cheaper, capped data plan is one thing. But trying to cap the entire pacakge is another thing. It isn't good if it isn't unlimited. That'd defeat the purpose of getting a high end smartphone. An option for power users would be the unlimited data plan. Plain and simple. If I am in a city I am not familiar with, my smartphone becomes my biggest asset because I can whip out Google Maps and pinpoint my location and generally find my destination quite easily. Can't do that if I am worried about "Oh, I've got to watch my data because I'm in a tiered plan with capped data."

Whatever happened to "what works for you" ideal? Why change opinions when the scenario changes? If you want to live with a carrier telling you how much data you can use on your own plan, then fine. But me, I rather be safe than sorry.

If heavy usage is a problem they should just go after the people that are using their wireless connection on thier phones to torrent and download warez instead of making everyone suffer because they cant contain the people that are abusing the network. Im not a heavy user (I used about 2gb a month surfing and listening to pandora) but i dont like having to watch my data usage. Just like i dont monitor how many minutes i use because i have any mobile any time and i barely talk to people that has landlines.

Exactly said. I mean I can understand being concerned with stablizing the network and all, but still that shouldn't mean other subscribers should suffer for someone trying to use their mobile data as their own home internet service trying to download ridiculously large files. I'm the same way, I am not a heavy user, but I too like to stream music and watch videos every now and then. It's be cumbersome trying to track how much data I am using per month and then trying to locate which app or service is using that much data.

Last edited:

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
No it isn't. Giving people the option of getting a cheaper, capped data plan is one thing. But trying to cap the entire pacakge is another thing. It isn't good if it isn't unlimited. That'd defeat the purpose of getting a high end smartphone. An option for power users would be the unlimited data plan. Plain and simple. If I am in a city I am not familiar with, my smartphone becomes my biggest asset because I can whip out Google Maps and pinpoint my location and generally find my destination quite easily. Can't do that if I am worried about "Oh, I've got to watch my data because it has been capped."

Whatever happened to "what works for you" ideal? Why change opinions when the scenario changes? If you want to live with a carrier telliung you how much data you can use on your own plan, then fine. But me, I rather be safe than sorry.

Your reading comprehension is atrocious. Tiered data plans can include one that is unlimited. So what I said is true. Tiered data plans are good as long as they include one for power users too. Aka unlimited plan.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/562900/facepalm.jpg

Your reading comprehension is atrocious. Tiered data plans can include one that is unlimited. So what I said is true. Tiered data plans are good as long as they include one for power users too. Aka unlimited plan.

*sighs* Jennell, you realize the purpose of tiered data plans is to do away with unlimited data, right? So no, what you said wasn't entirely true. And I agreed that a cheap, capped data plan for light users would be beneficial.

And I assure you my reading comprehension is quite acute btw.

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
dang you beat me to the punch unlimited data is exactly what they are wanting to get rid of..... im pretty sure when the tiered data is rolled out unlimited will not be a tier that is offered. instead they are rolling out tiered plans and is betting that the customer goes over the allotted us and get charged $10/gb

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, and the carriers know this. They know some will use more data than others but will not moniter their usage before they realize they've gone over.

That's why I said I rather be safe than sorry.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/562900/facepalm.jpg

*sighs* Jennell, you realize the purpose of tiered data plans is to do away with unlimited data, right? So no, what you said wasn't entirely true. And I agreed that a cheap, capped data plan for light users would be beneficial.

And I assure you my reading comprehension is quite acute btw.

I said tiered data is a good idea AS LONG AS there is an option for power users (aka unlimited).

Abysmal.....

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What part of "TIERED DATA MEANS NO MORE UNLIMITED DATA IN THE PLANS" did you not get?

The whole point of tiered data is to eliminate unlimited data. I don't think I can say that any clearer.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
5gb of 4g speeds with no overages on T-Mobile and unlimited talk and text for 90 bucks a month seems pretty good to me....if you're still looking for an option, Miz, T-Mobile has some, and is constantly getting more, great Android phones that would be comparable to your Evo.

I personally would much rather have no overages with throttled data than an extra ten bucks a month to theoretically get 4g speeds. But that's just me.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I am highly considering T-Mobile and slow data wouldn't be anything new, but yeah. I rather have throttled data on unlimited than to be tied to a tiered plan with data caps.

T-Mobile's G2X really looks awesome, but it's the Nexus S that I keep eyeing more than anything.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
What part of "TIERED DATA MEANS NO MORE UNLIMITED DATA IN THE PLANS" did you not get?

The whole point of tiered data is to eliminate unlimited data. I don't think I can say that any clearer.

The term tierd data plans does not mean no more unlimited. Its just what the carriers are doing. It means there are different levels of data. By text book definition, a tiered data plan can still have an unlimited plan for those that want it. But the carriers are still doing away with them.

Sent from my Inspiration

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I said tiered data is a good idea AS LONG AS there is an option for power users (aka unlimited).

Here's a kicker, I think you are both right but just like arguing :D.

What Miz is saying is that the carriers that are going to tiered plans are doing so in order to drop the unlimited option to make those power users pay more for data if they exceed their cap.

What Jennell is saying is that if they **did** have tiered plus an unlimited option that would be the best of all, but currently no one has that.

So, what I would like to see would be for Sprint to step up and say, "You don't need unlimited data? Sprint (where unlimited means unlimited) is offering discounts if you would like 'less than unlimited' data. 3GB cap = $10 discount, 2GB cap = $15 discount, 1GB cap = $20 discount, and 500MB cap = $25 discount."

I know those dollar amounts most likely make no sense, they are only used for example.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Mikey, I agree...that would be pretty darn nice. However, the only thing close to that besides unlimited would be T-Mobile's 10gb plan with no overages. It's hard to imagine how anyone could use that much data but it's always possible :)

But like I said, it would be great if there was the tiered options for those who don't need unlimited and can save money by choosing a smaller plan but still having it as an option. Having that in combination with no overages would be pretty darn sweet though.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Well T-Mobile didn't do away with unlmtd data, but they will throttle.

Now I kept telling Jennell I agreed with her to some extent, but she keeps thinking I'm wrong and she's right along with flaming me despite me being calm here.

All I am trying to say is that generally a carrier introducing tiered data is trying to stop people from using so much data, which in turns leads to tiered data plans with data caps.

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I believe some companies are going tiered because they want to make more money by charging overages, some because they didnt buildout their network properly, some because they dont have enough spectrum or capcity to support alot of data usage, and some companies are going tiered becase all of the above. I believe that some carriers may go tiered now but later on down the line when technology advances more and more resources become available. Maybe some carrier could start a data price wars and force the major carriers to compete but who knows. Voice minutes started out expensive and decreased over the years maybe the same thing could happen with data at some point. Not everyone needs data but there are alot of people that do. Just my thoughts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter