I probably already know the answer to this, but...

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
OKAY. so I've rooted my phone and downloaded busybox... am I able to stop here for now? or do I have to get a recovery image?

Congrats! Did you use Gingerbreak to root? I'd also download Superuser from the market and install that.

If you're like I was, you still might be a little unsure about what exactly a Custom Recovery, or Recovery Image is. Well, they are both the same thing. Your phone has a recovery on it right now, but it's the stock one, and not very useful to you, so that's why people install a custom recovery. Custom just means it's not the stock one. The recovery is a little piece of software that runs on your phone. It lets you make backups of your current setup (called a nandroid. But nandroid and backup are also the same thing), flash custom roms, and all that other cool stuff. Think of it as an "under the hood" thing you get into at a deeper/lower level.

You definitely should get a custom recovery installed. Then boot into it, and make a backup of your current setup...

Here's what I did. It worked for me. I got ROM Manager from the market, also free. I used it to flash ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM). It'll basically just overwrite the stock recovery with the custom one. You can do it right from the app. ClockwordMod Recovery served me well for a while, and will definitely flash Harmonia just fine. I don't do much else with ROM Manager, but it is an easy and quick way to flash your custom recovery.

Once I got the custom recovery installed. I'd hold off on the flashing of the custom ROM just yet. Learn how to boot into recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current system. practice doing a restore using the backup you made too. this is all done in recovery. It's important to get comfortable in the recovery. you'll be in there a LOT when you start trying out different ROMs. It's important to get confident using it. Not that it's hard, not at all. But it's an adventure when you first start to do it. A little nerve wracking, so get comfortable first with recovery.

that's just my advice.

Reactions: CloudBusterr

ShortRound51

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I also used ROM Manager... And the BobZhome version of IHO CM7 has been my favorite.

I did not like staying stock at all. I couldn't determine what I could remove and ended up bricking my phone by removing the wrong things. And I was unfortunate to be one of those folks that didn't perform a backup. Luckily I did install ClockworkMod and was able to recover eventually.

The reason I asked about your goals was to help determine what ROM would be best. If you want less risk and great functionality I recommend Harmonia. Now Harmonia is great, and is one of the few Rom's still supported by their developers. Now this ROM is also Froyo, the version of the Android OS currently on your phone. Albeit a stripped down and optimized version. now there in CyanogenMod (also referred to as CM7), stable, but with issues here and there, nothing major, but still a great ROM. It is a bit more risky, but has tons if goodies, like the fact that it is a Gingerbread ROM, the latest OS released for the Android. And has all the great CyanogenMod settings.

Oh, and I totally suggest you get Titanium Backup... Will make things much smoother when changing ROM's. So much that I bought the paid version to make it even simpler.

Let me know if you have any questions, or need help walking thorough things.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow. It's a good thing I backed up... the phone froze at the Harmonia booting screen. I really don't know what I did wrong

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Vishwar

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow. It's a good thing I backed up... the phone froze at the Harmonia booting screen. I really don't know what I did wrong

The first boot after flashing a new ROM can take quite a while. Sometimes 5 minutes or more depending on the device and how complicated the ROM is. Do it again, and be patient this time.

In your recovery, you need to do the "Wipe Data/Factory Reset", then "Wipe Cache Partition", then go into advanced and do the "Wipe Dalvik Cache".

Now, apply your ROM and reboot. Give it a minute to do it's thing this time.

DO NOT EVER RESET YOUR PHONE FROM THE PRIVACY MENU IN SETTINGS!
You'll end up with a paperweight that you may, or may not, be able to save.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, true, for no known reason my recovery even sometimes loads up slow, it will be blank then I think oh come on now, then it suddenly is like zoom RECOVERY! LOL!
New roms first boot are the same way, if it gets past the LG logo and you see the bootanimation, it typically worked, just put the phone down, go do something andld return to a working rom.

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I waited ten minutes =P and the logo wasn't flashing anymore.

I didn't wipe cache partitions correctly, I think.

Vishwar

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Lol. And can somebody explain wifi hotspot for me? This should be one of my last questions

When you activate it, it creates a wireless access point. Not much to explain here.

I don't know about Harmonia, but on BACKside I have a button I can push to turn it on and off. No third party application needed. ;)

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Lol. And can somebody explain wifi hotspot for me? This should be one of my last questions

You should never stop asking questions. LOL. There's always something else to learn about. Now that you've flashed your first custom ROM you'll soon be addicted. I've been flashing a new one almost daily the past week or so. ;)

Sent via VM670

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
When you activate it, it creates a wireless access point. Not much to explain here.

I don't know about Harmonia, but on BACKside I have a button I can push to turn it on and off. No third party application needed. ;)

Harmonia has it built into the wifi menu as well.

Sent via VM670

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Since it's pretty obvious your parents are paying for your phone and / or service, you should read up and make sure Virgin isn't a hardass when it comes to tethering. I have no idea myself, I never use it.

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually pay for everything. Before Harmonia, I used EasyTether Pro, which cost me a good $10. But it was worth it. (Because I live in the middle pf nowhere, where high speed internet is obsolete.)

And, yes, I will always be asking questions! I'm inquisitive and cautious... two traits good for this kind of thing

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh, well, I wasn't trying to sound like a dick or anything, after reading I guess I just assumed, and I don't know if VM is in the habit of cutting off the ones using tethering or not, figured it was better to say something than not, haha. Congrats on the ROM. Harmonia wasn't for me but it's definitely a quality choice.

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's okay. Most people my age have their parents paying for their phone ... my dad just doesnt want me screwing anything up.

I really like the look of cyanogen but I don't know if it's possible to run on the optimus v

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It is, check out the thread for the IHO / Backside ROM, it's a port of CM7 to the Optimus V, updated frequently. I love it, but my advice is to not get too attached to the battery life Harmonia gives you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bendytoy