Question Icon

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
How do i remove the search and dash icon on my search bar on my Samsung Galaxy s20 plusView attachment 356241
That's called a "Favicon" and it's sent by the website for every page or page refresh you make. You can remove it by deleting browser cache. But that will only last until the next time a page on that site is visited. To remove it permanently, note the name of the icon before you delete it. Then load a transparent image in the cache folder and give it the name of the one you just deleted. Then never delete cache again! Favicons are 16px x 16px in size, and typically .png files. If the one you delete has a different file extension (e.g., .gif or .ico), you should use the same thing when you replace it. You should be able to find transparent ones online that you can use.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google recently replaced the padlock icon with the "tune" icon. You can read more about it here: https://blog.chromium.org/2023/05/an-update-on-lock-icon.html. I don't believe you can get rid of it -- it's there for information and for the user's benefit.

@Mr. Lucky I believe you're thinking of something else -- review the above linked article, thanks.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Favicons are another way to track your browsing habits... from what I understand they're slowly moving away from cookies in favor (pun intended 😉) of favicons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174