Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
When I follow the link you provided, there are two download links. Is there any difference between the 2? One is a mirror, what does that mean?

astounded by my rezound

Both those links lead to the same RUU file. A mirror is just a copy located on a different web site/server or whatever.

No offense at all intended, but if you're not familiar with the term "mirror" as it applies to online downloads, then I'm guessing you've never modified your phone from stock before. If that's true, I'd strongly advise you not to flash. The RUU update process puts a lot of technical terms on screen and does not behave like a consumer friendly app. There may be points where it looks stuck or frozen or appears to have failed. If you don't know enough in the technical sense to tell the difference, you might end up doing something prematurely and bricking the phone.

Again, the OTA will be worth the wait. It's never a good idea to take a risk if you don't have to.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna sound like a real noob, even though I'm not. I haven't "played" with my Rezound like I did with the Dinc. Mostly because Unrevoked did the S-off/root thing all in one shot for me. With the rezound, I haven't had the time or patience to research and play around. I'm a mac only guy with no windows access for now, so S-off is out of the question for me (also highly unnerving in the only known "wire trick" method).

With all that said, I am unlocked and rooted. Aman Ra is my recovery. I do miss Clockwork Recovery, but without the ability of flashing Rom zips, it's not THAT missed. I think I'm ready to take the plunge to ICS. IS this leak the best one out there? I've kinda grown accustomed to a stock experience now that I am away from the Dinc for several months. Without the ability to roll back, I'm a bit nervous about it.

I'm familiar with running an RUU. Will I be rooted afterward/ and if not, will Amon Ra do that for again, or does it reinstall a stock recovery?

uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Both those links lead to the same RUU file. A mirror is just a copy located on a different web site/server or whatever.

No offense at all intended, but if you're not familiar with the term "mirror" as it applies to online downloads, then I'm guessing you've never modified your phone from stock before. If that's true, I'd strongly advise you not to flash. The RUU update process puts a lot of technical terms on screen and does not behave like a consumer friendly app. There may be points where it looks stuck or frozen or appears to have failed. If you don't know enough in the technical sense to tell the difference, you might end up doing something prematurely and bricking the phone.

Again, the OTA will be worth the wait. It's never a good idea to take a risk if you don't have to.

No offense taken. Prior to my rezound, I had a dx. I rooted it and put a few different roms on it then it started acting a fool on me so I returned it to stock. I am a little familiar with rooting and etc. As long as I have detailed instructions lol. I will probably just hold off on the leak since ota is close (we hope). After ota I may unlock. Not sure yet.

astounded by my rezound

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site
No offense taken. Prior to my rezound, I had a dx. I rooted it and put a few different roms on it then it started acting a fool on me so I returned it to stock. I am a little familiar with rooting and etc. As long as I have detailed instructions lol. I will probably just hold off on the leak since ota is close (we hope). After ota I may unlock. Not sure yet.

astounded by my rezound

I will say going from how you root and Rom a Motorola device to HTC devices is night and day.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
everyone is saying the OTA is 'close'? whats close?

Ha! Depends on your perception of whats far I suppose lol. I am in IL and WI. is close in a sense but I wouldnt walk there. I stopped buying into rumors after the bionic disaster I had last year. I'll wait it out I suppose.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest leak does not include the added "global phone" capabilities Verizon announced the Rezound would get? If that is the case, is it safe to assume the latest leak isn't the final OTA that some say it could be?

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest leak does not include the added "global phone" capabilities Verizon announced the Rezound would get? If that is the case, is it safe to assume the latest leak isn't the final OTA that some say it could be?

I believe the original plan was for Verizon to roll these updates out to the Rezound, Razr, etc, all in one go. So the real question is, is this gonna happen before or after we see ICS on any of these phones?
Edit: Or worse. Do we have to wait for every iteration of ICS to be ready for every damn phone?!

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe the original plan was for Verizon to roll these updates out to the Rezound, Razr, etc, all in one go. So the real question is, is this gonna happen before or after we see ICS on any of these phones?

I just assumed ICS and the global capabilities would be on the same update. Makes sense Verizon would separate them though, and release them 9 months apart. Sounds like the Razr line is getting ICS soon, did you get a text from Verizon on that also?

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Yup, you're correct. The last two leaks removed the ability to access the testing mode via the key code typed into the dialer. There are still ways to get to those options though.. I believe there's an app in the play store called 4G switch (or something like that) which brings the phone into the testing mode so you can select whatever radio you'd like to use.

My guess is that Verizon will not restore the key code because they don't want people to select manually.. but then if that's true, I'm waiting for them to block apps that bring you there as well. Since the ability to access the testing mode via the dialer has been missing from the last two leaks, I don't think we'll see it coming back for the official OTA. I hope I'm wrong on that one though. :-!

DRKayak

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeap. And not just that one, pretty much any leak. The link posted above to XDA is just the latest example, but if you follow Android Central and other 'droid blogs, you'll see leaks for all kinds of devices over time.

To your question about needing to have root to flash a leak, the answer is no. A leak comes from the phone maker and is sent to the carrier for approval. Because rooting is not supported anywhere along official line, the software is written expecting to be installed on a fully stock phone. Installing a leak if you have root almost always breaks root, because HTC and Verizon are certainly not going to push out rooted software. ;)

A "leak", as we know it, is always in the form of an RUU, which stands for ROM Update Utility. When HTC takes Android source code and updates it with Sense and other tweaks, they compile that into an RUU and send it to Verizon for approval, officially called "Technical Acceptance". An RUU is software intended to be used by carrier support guys behind the scenes, it's not really meant for customers to ever see it. There are rare exceptions, but that's another story.

There's a lot of back and forth on this process as bugs are identified and squashed, and during this time, a few or many RUUs could leak out. An RUU is essentially HTC (or Motorola, Samsung, ect) saying "OK Verizon, this looks good. Send it out." Verizon replies with "not good enough; fix these bugs" and so HTC goes back and it's wash/rise/repeat. Once a good one (as close to bug free as possible) is approved by Verizon (Technical Acceptance), it's pushed out via OTA (over the air) for the masses.. it's this notification that we've all been waiting for.

In the mean time, while all this has been going on, the RUU that actually makes it to acceptance has likely already been leaked and installed by more than a few eager enthusiasts, which is why the OTA wouldn't hit those folks. The exception to this rule is a scenario where Verizon releases a more up to date OTA from an RUU that never got leaked. It's rare, mostly because Verizon has a tendency to hold up the process so long that there's plenty of time to leak an RUU, but it's been known to happen that they can sometimes move fast if the changes are minor from one version to the next.

The whole thing is more complicated than what I've explained here, but I think this might help you get a more complete picture of how it all comes together. Hope this helps. :)

Well written! Thanks!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I just assumed ICS and the global capabilities would be on the same update. Makes sense Verizon would separate them though, and release them 9 months apart. Sounds like the Razr line is getting ICS soon, did you get a text from Verizon on that also?

I never got it. Hell, by the looks of comments/forum posts, only a small percentage got this text. This is probably due to me always selecting the option of "Text back 0 to stop messages from VZW" or whatever the option is.
Someone came up with the theory that Verizon sends text notices to people as a 30 day notice. If this is true, then that means someone needs to pay with blood, obviously.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I never got it. Hell, by the looks of comments/forum posts, only a small percentage got this text. This is probably due to me always selecting the option of "Text back 0 to stop messages from VZW" or whatever the option is.
Someone came up with the theory that Verizon sends text notices to people as a 30 day notice. If this is true, then that means someone needs to pay with blood, obviously.

Only time they send a message to everyone seems to revolve around a text saying something along the lines of "pay your damn bill, or we're cutting you off". Wish they put that same effort into the rest of their update/reminders.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The latest info says june or july. The newest leak is full featured and bugless to my knowledge so could be soon.

What if they are putting out all these leaks to plug all the root holes and such and then going to put out a completely locked down version with global lol :p

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I got a text for some mediabox or pisture box thing that is expiring and they said it needed to be taken care of. I called and its not even a feature on 4g phones but every 120 or 180 days its sent and not to worry. Which I should maybe take as worry my a$$ of because its always an opposite with them

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tapiwanashe