If you change build.prop, will you still get an OTA?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Running stock ROM with no custom recovery installed, I made a change to build.prop to turn noise cancellation off (to fix mic problem). Whenever a new OTA is released, would I get it, or would I have to set build.prop back to its original state first?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think you will need to restore your original build.prop. Else, you will run into an error similar to the one indicated below

Verifying current system...
"/system/build.prop" has unexpected contents.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Keep the build prop just in case. What you can do is add .bak to the end of the stock build prop. Leave it in and install the modified one. This way all you have to do is delete the modified build prop and remove the .bak extension then reboot to restore the stock version.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Shocktribe

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Keep the build prop just in case. What you can do is add .bak to the end of the stock build prop. Leave it in and install the modified one. This way all you have to do is delete the modified build prop and remove the .bak extension then reboot to restore the stock version.

Is there any way I can do that after I have already edited the build.prop

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way I can do that after I have already edited the build.prop

You'll have to find a version of the ROM you are using and pull the build prop. If you can't, then no, there's no way to get it back unless you factory restore or install a backup (if you have one).

Shocktribe

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to find a version of the ROM you are using and pull the build prop. If you can't, then no, there's no way to get it back unless you factory restore or install a backup (if you have one).

I know the code that I have inputted in to the build prop editor and I have full access to my build prop editor. I can remove the code as I wish.

Would me removing it from the build.prop solve this problem?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I know the code that I have inputted in to the build prop editor and I have full access to my build prop editor. I can remove the code as I wish.

Would me removing it from the build.prop solve this problem?

Yes. As long as the rest of the original code is there the phone should still operate normally as if the build.prop was unchanged. Just in case, make a backup of the current build.prop then make the changes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae